• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Japanese manga oa

9 posts in this topic

In a nutshell...very tough, if not impossible, to get a published interior. Established manga artists just don't sell their art. Manga publishing companies generally maintain control of the originals. Also, much manga interior art from famous artists are actually done in collaboration with studio assistants.

You can, however, find sketches from time to time. But even those are rare. Sorry, wish I had better news for you!

I collect Japanese records and books and am often in competition with Japanese collectors. If you think American comic book collectors are rabid, you need to experience being outbid by Japanese collectors..... "maniac" isn't a strong enough word. I imagine that if there are a scarce number of original works out there that there would be intense competition.

This store in Japan has by far the largest inventory of Manga art in the world (though I don't think much, if any, is online). Their store(s) in the Nakano Broadway shopping center are legendary, they publish huge quarterly catalogs and have a giant annual auction once a year.

Mandarake

This store in Japan has by far the largest inventory of Manga art in the world (though I don't think much, if any, is online). Their store(s) in the Nakano Broadway shopping center are legendary, they publish huge quarterly catalogs and have a giant annual auction once a year.

Mandarake

Mandarake (and the whole Broadway shopping mall) is an amazing collection of manga, animation cels, toys, records, movie posters and all kinds of geeky ephemera. However, in all the times I've been there, I've rarely seen original manga art for sale. Random sketches, yes, but not published interior art. The same holds true for the other famous otaku chain, Ani-Mate. I've seen some random art for sale on the walls, but never for sale. Pretty surprising given the sheer volume of art that is produced on a daily basis, but that's just how it goes for manga art in Japan.

Published Manga art is super-rare! I think the published manga art on CAF over the years (including those taken down) can be counted in one hand. Of course the Kojima art Felix got, even though it is unpublished (as far as I know) tops all of them combined!

Congrats again Felix!

Malvin

Mandarake (and the whole Broadway shopping mall) is an amazing collection of manga, animation cels, toys, records, movie posters and all kinds of geeky ephemera. However, in all the times I've been there, I've rarely seen original manga art for sale. Random sketches, yes, but not published interior art.

You need to double-check the 4th floor next time you are there in their "treasure" shop. When they have it available, it is always in that shop.

(and I've never seen any in their other stores - not even the super store in Osaka).