• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calvin and Hobbes original art on ebay. Fake? You decide.

36 posts in this topic

AAAUGH! Thanks for bringing back painful memories spider9698. My grandfather worked for his local paper and he'd give me all the Universal Press proof sheets of Calvin and Hobbes and Fox Trot. I wallpapered my whole room with them. every wall. Those things are selling for big bucks on eBay now. I saw one sheet sell for $150. And I had over 200 sheets! Waaa! doh!

Can he stipulate that if he leaves the material to the University that they cannot sell it or otherwise release it to the public?

Yes. But there are always ways to break it and there have been several prominent cases of that happening in a way that violates the spirit of the original agreement. These cases were related to museum bequests but I mention it because you would assume they would be handled better than they are. After all, museums depend on bequests and if they get a bad reputation it would likely limit the extent of future bequests.

For universities handling bequests like this is a secondary mission and the track record is not good. I was talking with a lawyer yesterday about this who, in general, thought it was a bad idea to bequeath to a university based on what he knows.

AtlasFan - I read an article about Mr. Watterson a few years back in Autograph Collector magazine. If everything in the article can be believed - he's now a recluse who hasn't made a public appearance since giving a commencement speach in 1990 and he refuses to give interviews as well. He used to sign books, which he would give to his mother to deliver to the Fireside Book Store in Chargrin Falls, Ohio with the understanding that proceeds were to be donated to charity. That ended when he discovered one of his books on eBay.

As far as his artwork goes - he only does landscapes in oil. When he's finished with a painting he promptly burns it. His philosophy is that the first five hundred paintings are only practice.

I don't know for sure if all of this information is 100% factual, but nevertheless, it's quite obvious from all that I've heard that he's a very private individual.

Bill

Sounds like he and JD Salinger should hang out together.

And Steve Ditko.

Compared to those two, Ditko is a party animal!

Yeah, at least you can find Ditko in Manhattan!

Sounds like he and JD Salinger should hang out together.

And Steve Ditko.

Compared to those two, Ditko is a party animal!

Yeah, at least you can find Ditko in Manhattan!

Yes and if you're a UK TV documentarian, you can even drop by unannounced after he's told you NOT to stop by! doh!

Its true that the U might deaccession their collection to raise funds at some future point in time. It would be difficult for the testator to proscribe or otherwise restrict in perpetuity its later sale.

Here is the commencement address mentioned above. I read it some years ago and this thread reminded me of how great it is. It was a pleasure to read again.

http://home3.inet.tele.dk/stadil/spe_kc.htm

Another great speech he gave was "The Cheapening of the Comics", delivered at The Festival of Cartoon Art, Ohio State University, on October 27, 1989.

Well worth reading.

Bill

I'll google later today and post the link. Thanks for the tip.