• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suspense #3 - glued spine? - how do you know there's no glue added / resto ?

24 posts in this topic

Suspense Comics #3 is a single staple book making the centerfold susceptible to becoming detached (and therefore lost). Also the the centerfold is a 3 leaf centerfold. :news:

West

3-leaf centerfold? Huh? Please explain for us short bus folk.

Most centerfolds are just 1 sheet of paper folded in half, so you have 2 leafs. The centerfold of Suspense #3 has 1 page glued on the right side of the centerfold. So... when the centerfold comes loose, 3 leafs come out, not 2 leafs like with most centerfolds.

West

West;

You should have just kept it simple and in a language that everybody understands......are you referring to a Playboy centerfold? lol

doh!

I had the entire run of Captain Aero at one time so I was able to check those. Also have the Suspense and Terrific titles. I have some Catmans but not from this 1943/1944 time frame.

:acclaim:

Unreal stash of books! Oh, and the info on that was pretty cool too. ;)

In traditional book/magazine publishing terminology, a page that has been glued into an otherwise bound publication is referred to as "tipped in." Although, it often refers to a page that has been added after the publication was bound.

I haven't run across this in comics before, but it might be useful to adopt the publishing terms to describe comics like this.

So this format would be listed as: saddle stitched, 56 interior pages, 12 wraps and 4 tipped in pages.

I'm wonder how common this was during the war years. It seems really odd to me, as it is usually more expensive to print 56 pages this way than it would be to print a normal 64 page book.