• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suspense #3 - glued spine? - how do you know there's no glue added / resto ?

24 posts in this topic

...or how does CGC know, or anyone know???

I am in the market for a low/mid grade unrestored "raw" copy. What if pages were loose, or there was a cover tear at the spine, or detached centerfold reattached - by mending with glue? If the book was manufactured with some glue on the spine, how would we / CGC distinguish between "original" glue and "collector/dealer added" glue ( AKA resto )...especially if the glue is clear? ( I would assume it is )

Steve

44233-suspense3after.jpg.51a9085c390e04aec74116f98b598578.jpg

Was the whole spine glued or just the extra pages glued into the book? From the frequenecy that the extra pages seem to be missing - my guess is that if they don't pull free with a slight tug- they may well be re-glued lol

Interesting question though - as dried out glue can be an issue with squarebounds.

The spine is not glued, it is stapled. This books is a 16-12 wrap book, meaning the left side from the centerfold has 4 extra pages. These 4 pages are glued to other wraps then stapled. It would be nearly impossible for anyone to re-glue these pages in without CGC catching it. Why? When restoration experts use glue to repair that glue hardens and it is easy to detect.... you just have to be on the lookout for it.

West

The spine is not glued, it is stapled. This books is a 16-12 wrap book, meaning the left side from the centerfold has 4 extra pages. These 4 pages are glued to other wraps then stapled. It would be nearly impossible for anyone to re-glue these pages in without CGC catching it. Why? When restoration experts use glue to repair that glue hardens and it is easy to detect.... you just have to be on the lookout for it.

West

ahhhhh. I see.........staples and a few glued, eh?

I have not yet had the joy of holding a copy in my hands....thanks for the info. Since there are the 4 wraps that are glued, I guess my question is still valid, although you answered that part as well ( glue hardens / easy to detect ).

Look like I didn't have to start a thread.....I just needed to PM West!

The questions on my mind are:

Where can you find a copy?

How many copies are supposed to exist?

:wishluck: Good luck with your search! Please post scans when you find one.

I didn't think the issue was with pages becoming unglued (like with the early Comics Calvalcade but that the centerfold was often missing (or another page?) It was either a story page or some type of page that had a reason to be taken out. I've never seen the page but thats what I recall from another thread.

Suspense Comics #3 is a single staple book making the centerfold susceptible to becoming detached (and therefore lost). Also the the centerfold is a 3 leaf centerfold. :news:

West

:applause:

Suspense Comics #3 is a single staple book making the centerfold susceptible to becoming detached (and therefore lost). Also the the centerfold is a 3 leaf centerfold. :news:

West

3-leaf centerfold? Huh? Please explain for us short bus folk.

West

Most centerfolds are just 1 sheet of paper folded in half, so you have 2 leafs. The centerfold of Suspense #3 has 1 page glued on the right side of the centerfold. So... when the centerfold comes loose, 3 leafs come out, not 2 leafs like with most centerfolds.

West

West

Most centerfolds are just 1 sheet of paper folded in half, so you have 2 leafs. The centerfold of Suspense #3 has 1 page glued on the right side of the centerfold. So... when the centerfold comes loose, 3 leafs come out, not 2 leafs like with most centerfolds.

West

good to know Because...

ShortBus.gif

West

West

West,

thank you for the info on this book...since most of us have never owned a copy, or even seen a copy in person, this is much appreciated.

I do have a CGC question for you ( well, 2 questions )......since the centerfold has 3 'leafs', with the 3rd leaf being glued to the folded main centerfold page, would CGC grade a copy of Suspense 3 as a .05 incomplete if the book and main centerfold page were intact, but the 3rd leaf ( the glued one ) was missing, and secondly does this happen ( 3rd leaf missing - rest of centefold stapled to the book ), or is it usually that the entire centerfold is either there or not?

Steve

Thought I would bump this thread since I have something to contribute here. Et-Es-Go or Continental, or Holyoke (all same ownership for the most part) employed an odd practice of gluing individual pages to folios of several books. I had the entire run of Captain Aero at one time so I was able to check those. Also have the Suspense and Terrific titles. I have some Catmans but not from this 1943/1944 time frame.

From my notes:

There are 12 folios comprising a total of 4 pages, therefore 48 total page just from the folios. Single pages are glued to some of these folios, 4 single pages, thus 8 more additional pages. These are all glued in before the centerfold, either to the inside or outside of the folio. So 32 pages before and 24 pages after. Total page count of 56.

Where are they glued in? Page 3 is glued to the inside of the first folio. Page 11 is glued to the inside of the fourth folio. Page 21 is glued to the outside of the ninth folio. Page 29 is glued to the outside of the twelfth folio. I have not checked every single book, but enough of them to see that this was the consistent way they put these together.

They did this for Suspense Comics #1,#2, & #3. For Terrific Comics #1 & #2. For Captain Aero #11 through #14. They went from these 56 page books 48 page books after this. I'm sure the Catmans' from this same time frame are built the same way.

So now you all know what a hopeless geek I am.

West

West

West;

You should have just kept it simple and in a language that everybody understands......are you referring to a Playboy centerfold? lol