• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Loose centerfold affects value how?

33 posts in this topic

Thanks for looking.

I got a otherwise decent VGF $125 SA Marvel comic with a loose centerfold.

No tears or brittleness to the pages that caused it.

OW-W pages in fact.

VGF(Q) might be the grade but how much does it chop the value?

25% 33% 50% (shrug)

First off , do you mean loose as in floating around but still attached, or totally detached? If the former...In that grade I personally would not drop it all that much. If it is an otherwise VG/F type comic with centerfold still attached(even loosely) I would not hit it too hard.

The book is already heavily flawed in that condition, so a loose centerfold is not that big a deal imho and just contributes to the overall grade, but does not hammer it. So I would say 10-15% tops if that.

If totally popped, then 25-30% in that grade range.

Ze-

i would drop it down 100%, but that's because i return every book i get with popped staples.

i'm on the low end of the bell curve here, and happy to be there

First off , do you mean loose as in floating around but still attached, or totally detached?.. if the former...

In that grade I personally would not drop it all that much. If it is an otherwise VG/F type comic with centerfold still attached(even loosely) I would not hit it too hard.

The book is already heavily flawed in that condition, so a loose centerfold is not that big a deal imho and just contributes to the overall grade, but does not hammer it. So I would say 10-15% tops if that.

If totally popped, then 25-30% in that grade range.

Ze-

Loose at both staples. :foryou:

i would drop it down 100%, but that's because i return every book i get with popped staples.

i'm on the low end of the bell curve here, and happy to be there

No worries because I would always make note of such defects in the auction/sale thread.

:foryou:

As Ze-Man said - if loose as opposed to detached - nothing off - page quality is a bigger plus than a loose CF is a minus. If actually detached - I'd call it ( or price it ) as a VG or VG+ instead of a VG/F - but I am not as bothered by a detached CF as much as other problems in that grade - for example - given the choice between a detached CF and a 4" CBC knocking a book down to VG territory - I'll take the detached CF. I'd take the detached CF with OW/W over tan pages - even on a higher grade book.

Loose or even detached centerfolds honestly don't bother me. I just bought 2 beautiful GA Caps that are stunning. For me its perhaps a qualified grade. But thats certainly a personal opinion of course.

I absolutely agree. Of course we'd all rather have them tight and attached, but for many books, just having them in the otherwise graded condition is enough . . . :hi:

how much does it chop the value?

You can open the book at the centerfold, and lift up one side of each staple so that it's sticks out at you. If you push it back down at a slight angle, it will hold the centerfold firmly in place, as the staple arm will be pushing against a new part of the centerfold previously untouched by the staple in its original position, even if it's bent up and then pressed back down just a few milimeters from its original placement. This will not trigger any kind of 'staple replacement' notes or issues with CGC, and your book will have no loss of grade or value at all if you have it graded, which also helps hold everything in place.............................ah, ah ....this is what I have heard from others, of course.

Steve

So detached centerfolds and or covers can reduce the value of the book by as much as 70%. How about a professionally reinforced/restored book where the only work done was that.

I find that situation often too often on my older Classics books. In the last 6 months I traded 2 books to different dealers. from one of them I only took about a 20% hit in value and the other was probably closer to the 70% rnage. Both of the books were First printings.

While scanning some of those that are in my main collection I found a First Edition # 14 that only came with one staple and was detached. I was wondering how much it might cost to fix

how much does it chop the value?

You can open the book at the centerfold, and lift up one side of each staple so that it's sticks out at you. If you push it back down at a slight angle, it will hold the centerfold firmly in place, as the staple arm will be pushing against a new part of the centerfold previously untouched by the staple in its original position, even if it's bent up and then pressed back down just a few milimeters from its original placement. This will not trigger any kind of 'staple replacement' notes or issues with CGC, and your book will have no loss of grade or value at all if you have it graded, which also helps hold everything in place.............................ah, ah ....this is what I have heard from others, of course.

Steve

While it is possible to do, I would be careful when doing it. Depending on the page quality surrounding the staple area might dictate whether or not one might end up popping the centerfold all together. And even though in most cases CGC might not view staple tinkering as resto, many people do. So when somebody sees a different set of staple impressions right next to a staple , that might scare them off.

Not trying to split hairs, just offering the downside of tinkering with those fickle little staples, cause you can make things worse VERY quickly.

Ze-

Thought I posted this yesterday but my thread disappeared? Anyways I wonder how much of an effect this had on the overall grade? Any guess from a cursory glance?

MF54cgc8metro.jpg[/img]

That's a beauty....I have a qualified 8.0 supersnipe black ski cover that looks incredible...but got qualified....I wonder why the difference in colors....dates of grading?

That's a beauty....I have a qualified 8.0 supersnipe black ski cover that looks incredible...but got qualified....I wonder why the difference in colors....dates of grading?

Good question because I thought qualified books were more prevelant in the old label days. I'm considering cracking this book out of the slabb one day. :eek:

Good question because I thought qualified books were more prevelant in the old label days. I'm considering cracking this book out of the slabb one day. :eek:

Nice book, did you notice this issue was the CGC BOTD?(Larson copy not yours)

And I am wondering since your copy is close to a 8.5 as is, if CGC just downgraded for the loose staple instead of qualifying it? I guess what I am saying is it appears they did not downgrade much for one loose/popped centerfold as it did not really detract from the overall look of the book.

Perhaps if the cover was popped instead of the centerfold it might be different?

I understand all the factors that come into play when arriving at a qualified grade, yet I still dont get it sometimes even when it is explained to me.

(: