• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collection from the 50s

83 posts in this topic

Looks more promising than mine....but I started thinking I had Golden Age Marvel and Superman books. :)

Just a hunch....I'll predict a buncha comics in Poor to Good Condition. (Just thought I'd stick my neck out for the masses.) :grin:

:wishluck: (thumbs u

Stay positive and this collection will come to you. 90%+ of these books will most likely be in the G/VG range, but I wish you all the luck in the world. You've got to save room for hope here as well. Pay fairly or you may not get a 2nd chance to buy them. The longer this drags on, the more people this guy is talking to.

Andy

Just spoke with him today and Sunday night might be a go. Not only did he sell his mothers house but he just bought one himself and he has a second house he is moving from. So that's his reason for the delay. Or I'm getting jerked around, but I put my odds back up to 40% now.

Amazing how easy these can sometimes be and other times its so so difficult. Almost always, the most difficult ones are from folks who don't know comics at all. If a ugy has a guide or used to be a coolector and is selling out, it usually takes less than a week to schedule and complete the deal that same day. The non-collectors have the comics in some weird place that they may or may not have access to and then have no idea what they are worth. So when you make an offer, they often say no and take your offer to someones else which is the last you hear of them.

Scenario 1: Hey I hear you collect comics, and I still have min from when I collected in the 70's and 80's. I'm not looking for guide or anything but if you could gove a good price for them, I'd like to sell the whole lot.

Scenario 2: I've got a bunch of comics from when i was growing up, I have no idea what their worth but I'm cleaning my storage area and saw you were buying. What do you think?

Now which one would you rather go for?

That's not what my experience has been. Thats where the most profitible deals come from, but not always the largest. Plus its the most common for there to be books that weren't what was initially thought, or the keys have been raided, or the covers are barely hanging on a bunch of 60's Archies and Dells.

But it is where the gold is. Nothing like a box of 50's war and horror with books like OAAW 81-83 and you walk away lighter in the pocket by only $200. I guess I have in mind two collections I bought where the lady had a full run of Avengers and X-men and sold them for $2000, it took less than an hour and it was two long boxes, not a single mylar. Another guy had full runs of DC mid 60s to 80's and sold them all for $4000, he also had a box of 30 WWII DC's in fair to poor which he threw in since we found them after the deal. I was amazed at what those 30 books went for.

The usual scenario is VG DC and Marvels from the late 60s. And thats after you've determined that they actually are old comics. Yipee. Nothing worse than driving 2 hours for that.

That's not what my experience has been. Thats where the most profitible deals come from, but not always the largest. Plus its the most common for there to be books that weren't what was initially thought, or the keys have been raided, or the covers are barely hanging on a bunch of 60's Archies and Dells.

But it is where the gold is. Nothing like a box of 50's war and horror with books like OAAW 81-83 and you walk away lighter in the pocket by only $200. I guess I have in mind two collections I bought where the lady had a full run of Avengers and X-men and sold them for $2000, it took less than an hour and it was two long boxes, not a single mylar. Another guy had full runs of DC mid 60s to 80's and sold them all for $4000, he also had a box of 30 WWII DC's in fair to poor which he threw in since we found them after the deal. I was amazed at what those 30 books went for.

The usual scenario is VG DC and Marvels from the late 60s. And thats after you've determined that they actually are old comics. Yipee. Nothing worse than driving 2 hours for that.

Ah, but still worth the drive for the love of comics and the endless possibilities... :cloud9:

Andy

Just spoke with him today and Sunday night might be a go. Not only did he sell his mothers house but he just bought one himself and he has a second house he is moving from. So that's his reason for the delay. Or I'm getting jerked around, but I put my odds back up to 40% now.

Amazing how easy these can sometimes be and other times its so so difficult. Almost always, the most difficult ones are from folks who don't know comics at all. If a ugy has a guide or used to be a coolector and is selling out, it usually takes less than a week to schedule and complete the deal that same day. The non-collectors have the comics in some weird place that they may or may not have access to and then have no idea what they are worth. So when you make an offer, they often say no and take your offer to someones else which is the last you hear of them.

Scenario 1: Hey I hear you collect comics, and I still have min from when I collected in the 70's and 80's. I'm not looking for guide or anything but if you could gove a good price for them, I'd like to sell the whole lot.

Scenario 2: I've got a bunch of comics from when i was growing up, I have no idea what their worth but I'm cleaning my storage area and saw you were buying. What do you think?

ft88: I'm amazed that Steve Geppi doesn't get all these deals. hm

Esquire and Flying Donut somehow find collections and now this one. Hasn't Geppi owned Baltimore for 25 years?

Esquire and Flying Donut somehow find collections and now this one. Hasn't Geppi owned Baltimore for 25 years?

Not just Geppi. There's Marc Nathan, Al Stoltz, Jeff Weaver, and a bunch of other national dealers all right around here. Getting harder to find stuff, but its still out there.

Not just Geppi. There's Marc Nathan, Al Stoltz, Jeff Weaver, and a bunch of other national dealers all right around here. Getting harder to find stuff, but its still out there.

I forgot about Al and Marc, Dan. Wow, even I got a deal out of Baltimore 4 years ago. 800 ten centers. Nice buy!

I think the reason why there's so many old comics in Baltimore is that it is a very un-transient city. There are people who were born and never left the city, so there's a lot of people who are in the same house they grew up in. The midwest equivalent to Baltimore is probably Cleveland.

I don't know how active Geppi is with small fry like this. One guy who had the 40s Disneys shopped them to Geppi and they basically acted like the folks at Geppi weren't interested. The seller was difficult and flaky but he had the goods.

I had to go vacation in Maine to buy my most recent OO collection! doh!

Most times I get a call from someone local about books it turns out to be nothing worthwhile.

The Western MO Collection that I found and included Dan with has been the best local find for me.