• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collection from the 50s

83 posts in this topic

FD has it right--Baltimore has the best junk--comics included, on the east coast. Multi-generational family homes, somewhat provincial, large blue-collar population, etc. The stuff that comes out of basements is unreal. I have NEVER found so much quality stuff at flea markets as when I lived there. Every week I found something, including a near complete mid-grade run of GL's for just over 100 bucks, platinums, great character glasses, coke and pepsi memorabilia, etc.

Nevermind the 100's of 30 cent variants I used to find. Man, I miss it there.

Odds just jumped to 100% as I now have the collection in hand. A little better than I could have expected. About 250 books from the mid 50's. 50+ Superman and Batman related titles, 100+ mostly Atlas and DC horror/sci-fi books, 100+ Classics & Dells & Archies & Westerns & Romance.

Best news was that only 2 or 3 had missing or loose covers. No tape, no markings, and no water stains or rusty staples. Almost all are VG to Fine and some G/VG or less. Very few above Fine I'd guess.

Down side was that there were no significant keys from the DC Superheros. No Lois Lane or Jimmy Olsen #1. I got pretty excited when I saw a good run of Adventures in the 240s and same with the Detectives in the 220's. and 250's Actions, but no luck. No Atlas Superhero (Caps or Subby or related) either.

Outside of those I recall a Playful Little Audrey #1, and a Brave and Bold #9. Plus 2 Gorilla books which I noticed from checking out the DC Gorilla cover thread.

The owner was a bearded gentleman living in the country about 65 years old. When I gave him my low but barely reasonable offer he declined and said he really knew nothing about them and he should probably get a second offer. I wonder how much the disappointment showed on my face. I asked him what he had in mind. He really didn't know but he figured an offer of twice mine would be one he couldn't refuse. We bargained from there a little bit and landed pretty much in the middle. Now I have these books in the trunk of my car (Its cool outside) and am finishing the day not doing my work. Tough to concentrate at this point, there isn't much I enjoy more than buying an original owner collection.

It looks like the typical late 60's collection of Marvels and DC's except this time its from the mid 50's. Nothing Pedigree-like as nothing was bagged of course, but still a killer collection of pretty uncommon books. Can't wait to get home. Pics to follow later tonight.

Ed

congrats ED

sounds like you got them at a GREAT PRICE.

there could easily be several key DC's in the range that you described that might be worth more than you paid for the lot.

maybe even some more four colors as well ;)

I figure they are worth 2 to 3 times what I paid if sold here or on ebay.

For collectiosn like these I usually go for paying half the estimated value and that gives me plenty of wiggle room if I don't inspect them properly for missing pages etc etc. Invariably the condition gets worse and not better the closer I inspect them. Right now I imagine then as all Fines when I know they aren't. I'm just happy there weren't water stains, that takes a collection from VG/Fine down to Fair/Good in a hurry.

Congrats on picking up what sounds like a decent little collection. (thumbs u

Congratulations are also in order for asking good qualifying questions to the seller before viewing the books. Most people don't do that, and then person_without_enough_empathy when they travel to view something that turns out to be a complete waste of time. Assuming, of course, that the seller didn't intentionally lie or mislead them, which sometimes happens.

Odds just jumped to 100% as I now have the collection in hand. A little better than I could have expected. About 250 books from the mid 50's. 50+ Superman and Batman related titles, 100+ mostly Atlas and DC horror/sci-fi books, 100+ Classics & Dells & Archies & Westerns & Romance.

Best news was that only 2 or 3 had missing or loose covers. No tape, no markings, and no water stains or rusty staples. Almost all are VG to Fine and some G/VG or less. Very few above Fine I'd guess.

Down side was that there were no significant keys from the DC Superheros. No Lois Lane or Jimmy Olsen #1. I got pretty excited when I saw a good run of Adventures in the 240s and same with the Detectives in the 220's. and 250's Actions, but no luck. No Atlas Superhero (Caps or Subby or related) either.

Outside of those I recall a Playful Little Audrey #1, and a Brave and Bold #9. Plus 2 Gorilla books which I noticed from checking out the DC Gorilla cover thread.

The owner was a bearded gentleman living in the country about 65 years old. When I gave him my low but barely reasonable offer he declined and said he really knew nothing about them and he should probably get a second offer. I wonder how much the disappointment showed on my face. I asked him what he had in mind. He really didn't know but he figured an offer of twice mine would be one he couldn't refuse. We bargained from there a little bit and landed pretty much in the middle. Now I have these books in the trunk of my car (Its cool outside) and am finishing the day not doing my work. Tough to concentrate at this point, there isn't much I enjoy more than buying an original owner collection.

It looks like the typical late 60's collection of Marvels and DC's except this time its from the mid 50's. Nothing Pedigree-like as nothing was bagged of course, but still a killer collection of pretty uncommon books. Can't wait to get home. Pics to follow later tonight.

Ed

Bravo! :golfclap:

My real problem was hassling with trying to find a time to meet him. Every weekend I was getting the big blow off. I didn't want to be pushy either but come on (is all I could think). He couldn't do it this past Sunday since he was at the football game, so I mentioned Monday and he hmmmd and hawwwwd and basically couldn't find an excuse not to meet today at noon. Plus I didn't want to mess with evening DC beltway traffic.

Even then we sort of agreed to a price range over the phone - sort of a, "I'll pay this for superhero books, and this amount for horror books, does that sound reasonable" to which he said sure. A trip to the bank and a 2.5 hour drive later and all went well until he mentions going to a second person :frustrated:. That would have been a long drive back home.

And going through it not finding an Adventure 247 or Tec 225 was one of those disappointments that you feel overly greedy for.

Sorry to ramble.... pins and needles you know.

I figure they are worth 2 to 3 times what I paid if sold here or on ebay.

For collectiosn like these I usually go for paying half the estimated value and that gives me plenty of wiggle room if I don't inspect them properly for missing pages etc etc. Invariably the condition gets worse and not better the closer I inspect them. Right now I imagine then as all Fines when I know they aren't. I'm just happy there weren't water stains, that takes a collection from VG/Fine down to Fair/Good in a hurry.

Phantom Stranger Volume 1? :wishluck: