• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Significance of Mark Jewelers Insert (in my Hulk 181)?

20 posts in this topic

I just purchased my first ever back issue with the MJ insert. Never had a clear idea of what these inserts were until today, when I opened the comic and saw all those rings for sale!

So, were these inserts included on relatively few issues? Were they reserved for certain geographic areas or markets? Are they considered more rare or valuable than the same book without it?

In any event, I'm very happy to have this book. First copy of this that I've owned. Here's a scan:

Hulk181Ft.jpg

Those inserts were put into books distributed onto military bases. I think. There's a boatload of info on these inserts out on the web.

Nice book, btw.

(thumbs u

Correct. Overseas military bases only.

Ahhh...yes.... I forgot the 'overseas' part.

Those inserts were put into books distributed onto military bases. I think. There's a boatload of info on these inserts out on the web.

Nice book, btw.

(thumbs u

That's yet to be confirmed. I'm 70% sure my OO collection is not from overseas. I'm still trying to track down the OO.

Nice book, btw.

(thumbs u

That's yet to be confirmed. I'm 70% sure my OO collection is not from overseas. I'm still trying to track down the OO.

As I stated before, the info I've collected has them only distributed to overseas locations. I had one guy send me an e-mail before I deployed claiming he bought MJ insert comics while stationed at Fort Hood but after a couple e-mails tracking down timelines (cover dates actually), he realized he bought them in Germany prior to his Hood assignment...

Jim

Speaking as a dealer, the book will bring a premium. There are collectors out there specifically looking for Mark Jewelers, or National Diamond insert issues (mostly former military). The books have the following common characteristic...an uncommonly nice spine with little stress, probably due to the strengthening of the spine by the cardboard inserts.

Personally I love these books, but only charge a significant premium if I have an extraordinarily high grade one, or something key. As far as I have been able to find out, the issues went back as far as 15 cent issues and as far up as 25 centers. Not sure that is complete. I know someone who has a Spider-man issue in the 80s with an insert.

They were in all Marvels distributed overseas near continuiously, except for a two month gap in 1973, from 1971 to 1991.

They were in DCs from 1972-1985.

They were in Archies, GKs, and possibly Charltons from 1972-1974.

Jim

They were in all Marvels distributed overseas near continuiously, except for a two month gap in 1973, from 1971 to 1991.

Jim

Still waiting on the DC article :whistle::hi:

Jim

Still waiting on the DC article :whistle::hi:

Let me decompress for a couple days and I'll get right on it...

And there was an error in my post above. They were in DCs from 1972-1986.

Jim

The collectability of books with these inserts surprises me. I'm an Army brat and we were stationed in Korea and Germany for quite a few years during my childhood. I remember seeing these inserts all the time. They annoyed me because they changed the feel of the comic for me and seemed a little distracting right in the middle of the story. And now, man, I would love to see them again for some odd reason.

I just purchased my first ever back issue with the MJ insert. Never had a clear idea of what these inserts were until today, when I opened the comic and saw all those rings for sale!

So, were these inserts included on relatively few issues? Were they reserved for certain geographic areas or markets? Are they considered more rare or valuable than the same book without it?

In any event, I'm very happy to have this book. First copy of this that I've owned. Here's a scan:

Hulk181Ft.jpg

Very nice find! Only the third MJ Hulk 181 i've ever seen. I'm sure there are a lot more of them but they rarely come up.

No plans to have it graded. This one's a keeper, and I plan to hold onto it for a long time. Besides, I'll just end up wanting to read it again.

But isn't the perfect book to slab, the story takes 4 seconds to read, and is pretty pants, no BA classic story moment at all (shrug)

No plans to have it graded. This one's a keeper, and I plan to hold onto it for a long time. Besides, I'll just end up wanting to read it again.

let me know if you ever decide to sell. i'm a patient man, been waiting for fox to sell his for over a year!