• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any UK users of CGC services?

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm new to these boards, though I've been lurking a fair while :-)

I was wondering whether anybody else here is based in the UK, or elsewhere outside the US, who submits comics to CGC?

I've been collecting comics since the early 80's, and would love to have a few choice items graded. Reckon I've got a few 'minty' copper age keys, having always been obsessive about condition :-)

It seems I have to submit via one of a few UK dealers. This makes for a very long and expensive round trip! e.g. £20 ($40) each for a few modern comics.

Is this the only way? Can anyone recommend a UK dealer for this service?

And finally, have CGC ever considered setting up a UK office so comics could be graded without leaving the country?

it's expensive to get comics graded from the uk largely because of the shipping costs.

The best way to do it is submit them yourself, but use one of the 20% off discount links that are available from many sites.

The actual mailing times to and from CGC were fine. The only thing I wasn't too keen on with CGC was their insistence on doing things like grading notes via phone only, and not via email.

there are however very few 'copper' comics worth grading unless you can be sure of getting the elusive 9.8 or higher. Experience has taught me that what you may think is a 9.4 for sure, CGC may very well disagree on.

Thanks for replying.

I'm aware that CGC's grading standards will be 'tough', but I know I've got a few truly, unequivocally flawless comics stashed away. I used to choose the best copy off the shelf, reverently transport it home and then immediately bag and board :-) No dings in the spine, no half-millimetre splits in the corners etc. Yeah, geek!

Some of these obsessively stashed comics are now semi-respectable collector's items (e.g. my 'copper' Spideys up to ASM300, X-Men etc).

Anway, so, I see that I can join the Society for $99 and gain direct submission privileges, great! $15 or so for a modern comic (plus shipping) doesn't sound so bad...

One thing that I can't figure out is: Do the fees include the cost of shipping them back to me? If so, surely they would be higher for international submissions? I see no 'international' fee...

Sorry for the noob questions. I did try the FAQs honest!

Hi,

I submit quite regulary and find everything pretty sound, I do like to add the imaging service as it tells me in an email with attachments what grades have been achieved afew days before the books arrive.

My last books cost $37.15 shipping (for 6) pretty good considering what some Ebay people charge or the scandal that is Wizard @ £37 for one comic !! :jokealert:

Thanks for the info. Feeling a little more confident about submitting some books now!

One thing I'm still not sure about... Do I have to join the Collectors Society ($99 membership), or can I submit directly without joining?

I found one UK website at least which seems to enable this: wolfcomics.com

Apparently I click the link on their page, opening a form to fill in and print, and I'm away. Seems odd. What part are 'wolfcomics' playing in that transaction?

Do you guys submit this way, or have you joined the Collector's Society?

Thanks!

Thanks for the info. Feeling a little more confident about submitting some books now!

One thing I'm still not sure about... Do I have to join the Collectors Society ($99 membership), or can I submit directly without joining?

I found one UK website at least which seems to enable this: wolfcomics.com

Apparently I click the link on their page, opening a form to fill in and print, and I'm away. Seems odd. What part are 'wolfcomics' playing in that transaction?

Do you guys submit this way, or have you joined the Collector's Society?

Thanks!

I submit thru Wolfcomics (Basically they're just enabling you to get a discount and use the service - you don't pay extra for their time) & Heritage auction galleries, but I'm getting a paid membership next month - so that it's all 'just me' !!

Phil

it's expensive to get comics graded from the uk largely because of the shipping costs.

The best way to do it is submit them yourself, but use one of the 20% off discount links that are available from many sites.

The actual mailing times to and from CGC were fine. The only thing I wasn't too keen on with CGC was their insistence on doing things like grading notes via phone only, and not via email.

there are however very few 'copper' comics worth grading unless you can be sure of getting the elusive 9.8 or higher. Experience has taught me that what you may think is a 9.4 for sure, CGC may very well disagree on.

Hey evilsly...how's it goin? Unfortunately I believe most everyone from what I've heard here on the boards say they're only offering now 10% discount which SUCKS!

hellblazer...you could try Doug Schmell at Pedigree (www.pedigreecomics.com) and see if he would be OK with you mailing them to him and he'll walk them in...you could get all the cost/details from him before you decided but he has offered to do that for me (and I don't know if you're interested in keeping them or selling them but if they come back hi-grade and they fit the profile of what Doug usually sells (Marvel Silver/Bronze Age) he'll sell them for you and then deduct that from the overall cost and work it that way...