• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Adventures 11 NM+ US vs UK edition

35 posts in this topic

I am in the UK, and have sold and collected comics for 15 years or so. I have sold many cents/pence copies. And seeing as I have probably had more through my hands than most here, I have to put my bit in.

...the main of my pence copies go to Americans. I agree that not everybody likes them, but not everybody cares about 30/35 cent variants either. I sold a pence copy of AF 15 for $4500 last year, and several other key issues for the current market value or higher. The first estimate of 80% is probably correct as a general rule, but some issues can command more, some less.

At the end of the day, these are the same comics, something lots don't understand. They were printed by Marvel/DC etc. at the same press, at the same time, just changed the printer at the end. They are rarer, but this should not effect the value either.

And JFYI, I'm not fussed about the price on the cover, and I make some good flips buying from UK dealers and selling to Americans grin.gif

Hey Kev,

Thanks for that info. We really needed feedback from someone that buys/sells pence copies regularly. I only recall seeing a couple CGC pence copies ever posted and did not think to track them to see how the endprice fared against a cents version. I imagine most here that are offering a percentage estimate are just guessing based on what they would pay and/or maybe from remembering a pence auction or 2.

If I understood you correctly, in your experience you fetch about 80% of FM(cents)V for your pence keys on average with sales that are equal to or more on occasion? That's pretty encouraging.

I wish there was a way to track pence sales so Valiantman could give us a break down.

Since there isn't... how many pence keys have you sold roughly and can you share more specific data on those that sell at 80% or better compared to those that sell under 80%? I'd like to see if there's a trend possibly. Maybe the better keys or scarcer items sell at 80%+ ...while more available or lesser keys sell less than 80%, etc.?

Lastly... please run your High Grade Pence Keys by me anytime

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

In reply to you bronty, I am saying it is the other way round, 80% of guide holds true worldwide, but less than that in the UK!

and as for you BB13, it's a very good idea. Once I'm up and running again (still cleaning up after my recent move, only got the PC working properly today!) I will post every pence copy I sell on these boards.

I don't keep (although I should!) and inventory of what I sell, and I havnt sold much recently (again, due to the move). The only one I have sold recently is a Fantastic Four #8 GD+ $61. Not much to go on, but I have been out of selling much for about 4 months now. I will be back up and on full steam in the next couple of weeks, and we can keep this post going!

Hi there, I am new to the forum, but of old to the comic scene. I'd like to start off by saying I used to get pence copies, cents copies or pence stamp copies, now I prefer to go for cents copies, for some dealers over here have made it a big issue that the pence are of 40-50% the value of the cents, I never see any great bargains from them though, 27_laughing.gif. But I have seen pence copies in America being sold priced up as regular issues, now the pence copies are a lot rarer than the cents, and there was a big debate at one point as to if they were made at the begining of the run, or the end, but none the less they were made on the same machine, and they are American Comics, and unlike the Canadian issues have identical covers but for the price. 35c variants have a higher value, because of they're low print run, so why is this not the same for pence copies? I think some big dealers in America should start grabbing up some of these pence copies, and when they have got a majority of the print runs, use they're influence on Overstreet to add these as rare price variants, thus making a huge profit from these pence priced American comics!

I must be a rare breed.

I 'want' pence copies. Heck, I want all the different versions of any Conan (or related character) comics.

I've gotten a few spanish, french, even australian copies so far.

The biggest hold-up for me though is the shipping costs.

There just aren't that many US sellers listing raw copies of these.

I like the pence copies as fun items to include in a collection.

I remember a while back, someone posted four different variations of the same issue of The Defenders (Marvel). I think these were the four shown:

Newsstand

Cover Price Variant

Direct

Pence

That may be the limit for a first-printing of a Marvel as far as how many versions could exist. (Is it possible for there to be more?)

As far as DC, here are some of the possible variants -- especially from the very late 1970s and the early 1980s, with examples:

Newsstand

Direct

Canadian (Warlord Annual #1, cover price $1.25 only, vs. US version with $1/1.25)

Pence (have recently seen pence Weird Western Tales -- Scalphunter)

Whitman (these exist for many if not most DC titles of the period)

(I would like to add that I believe the indicia for Canadian versions of the 1982 Annuals is the same as the US editions, but I don't recall for certain.)

So, my question I'd like to throw out there: Are there any first-print DCs for which four or even five cover variations exist?

For DC the Pence Price Variants started in 1978 and finished in 1981. The Canadian Dollar Price Variants started in 1982. Therefore it's not possible to find an issue where both a Pence and CAN$ variant exist. The Whitman Logo variants cover some of the same issues as the Pence variants and I own copies of Action Comics where I have three versions (Whitman Logo, Pence, Newsstand USD versions).

Only a few hundred DC’s were printed with pence price variations.

Regards Earl.

For DC the Pence Price Variants started in 1978 and finished in 1981.

OK then, can you tell me something about this?

jimmyolsen.jpg

The font used for '5p' is very distinctive and I have a feeling that a number of DC books were stickered like this around the early 70's, same font with a red background (?). But this is a printing.

I came accross 2 more recently, both from the same month as the Jimmy Olsen, July 1971.

adventure408.jpg

action402.jpg

You'll notice that both of these have the price in a white background, which may well have been the 'sticker' that I was thinking of in my earlier post.

It seems very strange that for one month only, 7 years before they tried properly, DC had a UK distribution experiment. It hardly seems long enough to get any real idea of the success or failiure of the scheme.

The books are obviously not uncommon and I'm tempted to try and put together a full set from this month, just for fun. I guess they were producing around 25-30 a month in mid-71 and in this kind of grade, they should be quite cheap. Any idea where I can get a full list of titles that DC produced in July '71?

Hmmm. The mystery deepens I dug out my copy of Adventure comics #408 and it's a Cents Printed edition with the usual T&P distibution stamp on the cover. So it would appear that only a sub set of the July 71 shipped copies had a 'pence price on them.

Regards Earl.

July 1971.

DC Special 13

Falling In Love 124

Our Army at War 234

Super DC Giant S-25

Wonder Woman 195

Tomahawk 135

Batman 233

Girls' Love Stories 160

Superman's Girl Friend Lois Lane 111

House of Mystery 193

Our Fighting Forces 132

Phantom Stranger 14

Superman 240

Young Love 87

Mister Miracle 3

Secret Hearts 153

Superboy 176

Super DC Giant S-26

Teen Titans 34

Date With Debbi 16

Girls' Romances 158

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen 139

Action Comics 402

Adventure Comics 408

Detective Comics 413

Strange Adventures 231

July 1971.

DC Special 13

Falling In Love 124

Our Army at War 234

Super DC Giant S-25

Wonder Woman 195

Tomahawk 135

Batman 233

Girls' Love Stories 160

Superman's Girl Friend Lois Lane 111

House of Mystery 193

Our Fighting Forces 132

Phantom Stranger 14

Superman 240

Young Love 87

Mister Miracle 3

Secret Hearts 153

Superboy 176

Super DC Giant S-26

Teen Titans 34

Date With Debbi 16

Girls' Romances 158

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen 139

Action Comics 402

Adventure Comics 408

Detective Comics 413

Strange Adventures 231

Do not alert those variant collectors to this thread, they've almost finished their runs and are currently nicely confined to their own thread in the BA forum - where this topic probably should first have seen the light of day anyway AA #11 is SA foreheadslap.gif

The only addition that I can make to this thread concerns a collector I know who purchased an ASM #1 pence copy - I will have to see what percentage of guide he paid for it.