• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blood is the Harvest reprint .Need info if any one can help.

22 posts in this topic

I want to thank Rich_Henn for hooking me up with this. The Original is one of the scarcest comics of all time as many of you are aware, and has been my grail for years. I had no idea this was even out there and I am putting it up hoping someone could give me more info on it.

Rich is not the original owner but he told me it was produced in a limited number of 500 in the early 70s. The isues were bagged and numbered and this is still in the original sealed bag.It is not in the guide and I cant find any info on it anywhere. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks!

scan0080.jpg

scan0081.jpg

They were issued by Sparkle City in 1979 and each, I believe, are individually numbered. A really fantastic b/w reprint set of incredibly hard to find (and expensive) anti-commie comics. The full set comes in a folder:

Rare-Book-Portfolio.jpg

If anyone is interested in purchasing a complete set, pm me as I have some extras.

BTW, here are copies of the actual originals of these great books:

There are approximately 20 known color copies: BloodistheHarvest.jpg

There are approximately 6 known original b/w copies: BloodistheHarvestBW.jpg

Stalin.jpg

If-Devil-Would-Talk1950.jpg

There are 5 known variant versions of this book (can be determined by the back cover). Probably about 20-40 copies exist.

Red-Iceberg.jpg

And, finally, a rare b/w minature version, but otherwise identical, measuring 5 1/2" x 7 1/4" that is not listed in the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide.

Redicebergmini.jpg

This brings up another thing I was wondering about. We all have our conspiracy theorey's and I wonder about the comic "If the Devil Would Talk". When i first started buying older comics in 1984, ITDWT was one of the top 5 Silver Age books and seemed to be chatted up in Overstreet and other periodicals as one of the Silver Age grails. It was seriously put in the same league as Showcase 4, FF1 and AF 15.

Was this just a behind the scenes marketting push or were some of the BSD actively seeking out this book and pushing its price up. Just curious as it seems like a decent book but nothing really special.

Sorry to go off topic a bit.

Ed

This brings up another thing I was wondering about. We all have our conspiracy theorey's and I wonder about the comic "If the Devil Would Talk". When i first started buying older comics in 1984, ITDWT was one of the top 5 Silver Age books and seemed to be chatted up in Overstreet and other periodicals as one of the Silver Age grails. It was seriously put in the same league as Showcase 4, FF1 and AF 15.

Was this just a behind the scenes marketting push or were some of the BSD actively seeking out this book and pushing its price up. Just curious as it seems like a decent book but nothing really special.

Sorry to go off topic a bit.

Ed

I love the book, and always try to buy a copy when I see it (regardless of whether its the 1950 or 1958 issue), but it is absurd of anyone to compare it - as you note some were doing back in the day - with the books you referenced either in significance or value.

In the early 1980s not many dealers likely had the book and I suspect that was a marketing ploy.

They were issued by Sparkle City in 1979 and each, I believe, are individually numbered. A really fantastic b/w reprint set of incredibly hard to find (and expensive) anti-commie comics. The full set comes in a folder:

Rare-Book-Portfolio.jpg

If anyone is interested in purchasing a complete set, pm me as I have some extras.

BTW, here are copies of the actual originals of these great books:

There are approximately 20 known color copies: BloodistheHarvest.jpg

There are approximately 6 known original b/w copies: BloodistheHarvestBW.jpg

Stalin.jpg

If-Devil-Would-Talk1950.jpg

There are 5 known variant versions of this book (can be determined by the back cover). Probably about 20-40 copies exist.

Red-Iceberg.jpg

And, finally, a rare b/w minature version, but otherwise identical, measuring 5 1/2" x 7 1/4" that is not listed in the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide.

Redicebergmini.jpg

Since I have had 3 different copies of Blood is the Harvest color, I would say those numbers are probably "off" a little.

Since I have had 3 different copies of Blood is the Harvest color, I would say those numbers are probably "off" a little.

Not necessarily. How do you know those 3 copies are not included in the 20 I mentioned? (shrug)

Do you still have any of them? Do you know who does? Have they been CGC'd?

Of course, quite candidly, we really don't know how many copies exist. All I can say is that there are more copies that exist beyond the # that CGC graded amidst a huge fanfare back in 2003.

CGC To Certify Blood Is The Harvest Free of Charge

CGC To Certify Blood Is The Harvest Free of Charge

Friday, August 01, 2003

The CGC Population Report has become a huge resource for collectors and dealers in the three years since its inception. The CGC Population Report or census is a listing of every comic book CGC has certified, along with the grade and category (Univeral, Apparent, etc.). Now that it has been around a while, the question has to be asked: How does the CGC Population Report compare to the estimates in The Overstreet Price Guide and Gerber Photo Journals?

To answer this question, CGC has decided to attempt to certify every copy of the scarce 1950s giveaway Blood Is The Harvest by Catechetical Guild by waiving the certification fee. The book is noted as scarce with 13 known copies and was first mentioned in the 3rd edition of The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide. The comic was valued at $2 in the 3rd edition of The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide and has soared to $1,100.00 in near mint condition today.

The Overstreet Comic Price Guide #10 notes that in 1979 nine copies of the color version surfaced from Catechetical Guild's files. There were also five copies of a black and white version that surfaced at the same time.

"The 1979 Overstreet first mentions the scarcity of this book and shortly after they surfaced the book became incredibly hot. I think it would be interesting to see how many of these books exist. It's a great rare comic and this might bring some people into certification that have never been involved before," said Mark Haspel Senior CGC Grader

The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide has stated that there are 13 copies of Blood Is the Harvest every year since 1979. The Gerber Photo-Journal Guide to Comics gives it an "8", meaning that there are 10-20 copies that exist. As of this date CGC has certified 9 copies.

CGC is offering this special deal to customers who wish to submit this scarce comic. The customer submitting the books must pay the postage and CGC will waive the certification fee and the comics will be graded under the "Standard" turnaround time. All copies of Blood Is The Harvest must be submitted to CGC's office by October 31, 2003.

"Depending on the response to this offer we may grade other comics in the future with a similar offer. This is something that is good for the collecting community and we will be able to further the population report and the hobby regarding rare comics," Haspel said.

Thirteen is Lucky Number for 'Blood is the Harvest'

Thirteen is Lucky Number for 'Blood is the Harvest'

Friday, January 16, 2004

In the August 1st 2003 issue of Scoop, we mentioned that CGC was offering to certify every copy of the Blood Is The Harvest comic book free of charge. The question posed was how does the CGC Population Report compare to the estimates in The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide and Gerber Photo Journals? The deadline has passed and the results are in. "I was shocked at the results of the offer," commented CGC Senior Grader Mark Haspel. "The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide notes 13 known copies since 1979, and we have now certified 12 copies. There was one additional copy that sold this past year on eBay and was not submitted to CGC." CGC will consider making a similar offer again with other rare comics in the future.

I know one copy resides in Arizona and it was a beautiful high grade copy. Nearly perfect in fact. I think it might have had a tiny tear at one edge, and otherwise was extremely flat and clean. I think the guy still has it. I saw him at SD last year and he said he did.

The other 2 copies were mid grade, nothing special. One sold on ebay. One sold at a con.

I have attempted to research the Cathetical Guild in order to learn more about its publications, but to date the entity remains a complete mystery.

I certainly would not be surprised if more than 20 copies exist, but I can definitely state the book rarely shows up.