• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay selling. Grade it or no?

18 posts in this topic

I'm about to get back into selling some of my raw collection on Ebay. Now, I realize that if I have a HG older or key or valuable issue, I'm going to give my grade, big scans, etc. My question is about mid or lower grades or less valuable stuff. Lately, I've seen several posts say that you should just provide a decent (not huge) scan, disclose any hidden flaws and not give a grade. I'm curious the takes sellers here have on that issue.

For instance, I'm likely to just take a group shot of a 10 book lot of low to mid-grade books and give an average grade. Conversely, I might just post a 1024 or 800 wide scan for single books that will go for $100 or less, without giving a grade. Of course, questions and requests for larger scans would be solicited.

So many people on ebay buy on a hope that auctions with fuzzy pictures or cut-off scans and no grades seem to do better than detailed auctions.

Thoughts??

I dont sell huge on the Bay, But i think Big scans front and back are best. disclose any hidden defects and mention page color. On anything below near mint I dont mention the grade.. it is too subjective. And be prepared to get any where from 10% to 60 % overstreet on a average for single books. Much less if you group books together.

Good luck, and look forward to responses of others who sell a lot on E-BAY

1) It depends what you paid for the books. If you can get 30-40 cents a book and make a profit bulk lots are the way to go. I sell many runs of 50-60 books at a clip. I use a generic photo (try scanning 1-2 thousand books a month) and describe books that fall under the 8.5 range. I also will describe books over 9.2. This seems to help.

I have sold the same run of books and gotten between $20 and $85 dollars for them. As was stated earlier ebay is a craap shoot but once you have solidified your reputation you will get more $$$ for the books.

2) If you want top dollar per book lots are not the way to go.

I have gone on and off with giving grades. If I don't I might say mid-grade or high grade and list all the defects with a big scan. If it's a hot book I am more inclined not to give a grade, particularly if it's a tweener and my scans wind up accurately showing all the defects.

I am more likely to go gradeless in an auction than a store item though.

Yeah. I've experienced enough Ebay from buying and selling comics to know kind of what to expect price wise on individual vs. lot sales. My real question is what people do about listing a grade, giving nice size scans, etc.

OT: I plan on setting up a table at my local (8-10 dealers) con this month. I'm trying to get rid of a lot of modern books via the .50-1.00 route. I need some space and don't want to invest the time and effort listing or grading the books for sale here or on Ebay. I don't think I'll sell much in the way of bigger books but, as long as I get my table fee back, it'll be worth it.

From a BUYER's perspective, when I see a seller who obviously knows comics and does not assign a grade, my presumption is the book is slightly lower grade than it appears and the seller is betting on ebay gamblers to run it up. It's a tactic to divert all condition responsibility while getting maximum value and minimizing refunds.

Of course, this applies to books that have some value. If it's a low grade reader or bargain bin books, I simply presume the technical grade doesn't matter enough to assign a precise number.

From a BUYER's perspective, when I see a seller who obviously knows comics and does not assign a grade, my presumption is the book is slightly lower grade than it appears and the seller is betting on ebay gamblers to run it up. It's a tactic to divert all condition responsibility while getting maximum value and minimizing refunds.

Of course, this applies to books that have some value. If it's a low grade reader or bargain bin books, I simply presume the technical grade doesn't matter enough to assign a precise number.

I agree. I will not buy without a grade from the seller, and even if it is assigned, I will not believe it unless it matches the scans, which need to be large, and the seller's feedback indicates comic book sales with many satisfied customers (in the same type that I am buying, raw or slabbed) and the sales to these customers must be in the same price range that I am buying. So, someone with 100 dollar book sales and 100 positives goes nowhere with me if I am looking at Hulk 181 purportedly NM raw.

For raw books I give a very detailed description describing both positives and negatives starting with the front cover, the structure, the back cover and the interior with a large scan...I've always given a grade but the one thing I've changed is now I say FN- 5.5 range (I use the word range because I believe in that grade but feel just that modifying word allows me at least a .5 up or down to coincide with the buyer's subjective point of view)

I think it's a very good idea to give your opinion of the grade. It goes a long way in enticing bidders to bid. I wouldn't put in a disclaimer such as "I am not a professional grader" though. I feel that it turns people off, like you're saying that they may take exception with your grading.

I think it's a very good idea to give your opinion of the grade. It goes a long way in enticing bidders to bid. I wouldn't put in a disclaimer such as "I am not a professional grader" though. I feel that it turns people off, like you're saying that they may take exception with your grading.

I've always been somewhat amused by the "professional grader" tag...I mean of all the comic book collectors, buyers, sellers and investors, especially those of us who do it as a hobby or sideline and have other jobs and careers, how many people out there would ever be a "professional grader"...like 1/100th of 1%?

And for that matter, if I applied for a job at CGC or somewhere and they hired me today then tomorrow would I be a professional grader and how would that alter my ability to grade comic books...just kind of funny the way the term is used and said...

I've always been somewhat amused by the "professional grader" tag...I mean of all the comic book collectors, buyers, sellers and investors, especially those of us who do it as a hobby or sideline and have other jobs and careers, how many people out there would ever be a "professional grader"...like 1/100th of 1%?

And for that matter, if I applied for a job at CGC or somewhere and they hired me today then tomorrow would I be a professional grader and how would that alter my ability to grade comic books...just kind of funny the way the term is used and said...

Yup. It's a wimpy cop out that makes no logical sense.

I wish there was a way to automatically ban any seller that uses it, or describes a book as "in tact." :pullhair::frustrated:

I give a grade, mention flaws and do my own size scans, not the Ebay pictures,I find it works well.

Only sometimes, I do back scans on cheaper books, it helps, but it's time consuming.

. Recently I have done some general grades on lots, but only books I just want to clear out of the hallway or something, they do not usually do well that way, but I expect that.

I sell mostly lower grade books, but it still makes a difference when you give a grade. If I am NOT sure..I say that...or I give a range, or just go lower...

It's a lot of work, but it seems to help when you sell, I get a lot of repeat people (thank goodness:)

Good luck!