• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just have to say...

37 posts in this topic

I have always loved Barks duck books, and always intersperse what I read with them. I recently have picked up about 60 barks readers from four colors to WDC&S to US #2-11, and have torn through them. This is the first time I ever really immersed myself in them in such a condensed period, and I have to say, I think Barks has brought me more joy then any other comics creator I have ever read. Bravo & cheers to "The good duck artist" (thumbs u

I have always loved Barks duck books, and always intersperse what I read with them. I recently have picked up about 60 barks readers from four colors to WDC&S to US #2-11, and have torn through them. This is the first time I ever really immersed myself in them in such a condensed period, and I have to say, I think Barks has brought me more joy then any other comics creator I have ever read. Bravo & cheers to "The good duck artist" (thumbs u

:applause:

I'm not as far along as you, but I am getting the Barks bug as well. hm

Yeah he combined all the great elements of storytelling Humour, adventure, strong characterization The quest.

I love barks as well and I am pleased to own a few of the early barks comics.

You already know this probably but Don Rosa did really top notch work with the Ducks!

(thumbs u

IMO Carl Barks is the greatest comic book creator of all time

I agree without hesitation. Every panel is suitable for framing. There was no throw away stuff in a Barks story. He reads as well as an adult as he did when I was a kid. Hell, his stuff read well when I was a hippie, a sailor or a cynic. When I was down in the dumps or high as a kite. His stuff is the first thing I'll recommend for a non believer to read.

The only problen I can find with Barks is that no other mere mortal who did the ducks came anywhere close to his rich storytelling, his sly and quirky humour, the pathos and the joy he brought to his work. I would spot the bad artists right off. I could spot the copycats, who merely copied, but couldn't bring anything new or unique to Donald and the gang.

I still feel good inside after I read a Barks duck story, I still have that sense of wonder. I hope he knew how beloved his ducks are to so many people.

(thumbs u

I once felt the same way, Steve, but now have him in a top 3 of writers/artists that includes Eisner and Kelly,

Maybe a better way to put it for me is that Barks is my favorite comic creator of all time.

(thumbs u

I once felt the same way, Steve, but now have him in a top 3 of writers/artists that includes Eisner and Kelly,

Hey Gary :hi:

I totally agree with your top 3--I just put Barks at the top of that (very talented) heap.

You could write a 10 page essay just on this cover art alone. It has so many great things about it.

scan0015.jpg

One of my TOP wants....I hope to own an 8.0 copy in the next year. It is on my short list of must have books before I croak.

Scott

As much as I love # 1 (and many others), Back to the Klondike (# 2) is my favorite issue of them all.

"She was spangled and flashy, and her heart was a hard as the ice on the tundra... the only live one I ever knew!"

Similar to Shield, I'd like to get a sample reprint collection book of Barks, I've never gotten into them and am interested. What is the best one to get first if, like me, you don't have any experience with this genre?

I'd love to sit down and read a huge stack of color reprints of Barks' stuff. What's the cheapest way to do that?

I'd like to know this as well. Not only would I like to read them, but I'd like to be able to share them with my son. Maybe some of the Gladstone reprints?

Jeff

I think that's correct. If you're pateint enough, you can find pretty much any Barks story in reprint form in a dollar bin.

So there you have it Shield. You live near a couple of comic shops I imagine, who have back issues. Even the one LCS in my neck of the woods has a box or two of goldkey reprints. That's the cheapest way I can think of, since ebay shipping makes trying to pick them up ridiculous. Of course, if anyone here has a large stack of Bark's Duck reprints they want to unload really cheap, with bulk shipping, let us know.

I think that's correct. If you're pateint enough, you can find pretty much any Barks story in reprint form in a dollar bin.

I would rather read the original comics or the Gladstone's Carl Barks Library albums. Many of the reprints are poorly colored, smaller in size, and censored. With the CBL albums they are slightly larger than the original comics on high quality paper and many were colored by Susan Daigle-Leach who 's work is always superb. All this talk is reminding me that I'm still missing a handful of the albums from the series.

I believe tb has posted some pics of a Scandanavian edition that reprints the Barks oeuvre in a high quality format. Unfortunately there is no English language version. Another interesting over-sized format that reprints a sampling of stories is "Uncle Scrooge, His Life and Times." NZ artist Peter Ledger air-brushed each page of a number of Scrooge Stories -- the effect is stunning.

And I should mention that Barks rocks! :headbang: