• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just have to say...

37 posts in this topic

gladstone lots can be had for pennies on the dollar on ebay, but I prefer the originals. Except for the one shots, 31- 125 WDC&S and 1st 25 scrooges, you can buy reader copies of the rest for about $2-$3 each. If you want to go reprints for the more famous stories, I'd check for lots of donald duck adventures and things like that on ebay. inducks.org will let you know where everything has been reprinted.

Plus you get that wonderful smell, and all those period advertisements!

It still cracks me up that you of all people like Ducky books. Then again, I think I can see the influence in your work.

Ze-

I agree with Adam, the Barks Library albums are superb. Really vibrant and nicely oversize. A great Barks format. And I still need the later Uncle Scrooge ones, which are very hard to find. Print runs had dropped quite a bit.

Also agree fully with the first two posts in the thread.

I think that's correct. If you're pateint enough, you can find pretty much any Barks story in reprint form in a dollar bin.

I would rather read the original comics or the Gladstone's Carl Barks Library albums. Many of the reprints are poorly colored, smaller in size, and censored. With the CBL albums they are slightly larger than the original comics on high quality paper and many were colored by Susan Daigle-Leach who 's work is always superb. All this talk is reminding me that I'm still missing a handful of the albums from the series.

I believe tb has posted some pics of a Scandanavian edition that reprints the Barks oeuvre in a high quality format. Unfortunately there is no English language version. Another interesting over-sized format that reprints a sampling of stories is "Uncle Scrooge, His Life and Times." NZ artist Peter Ledger air-brushed each page of a number of Scrooge Stories -- the effect is stunning.

And I should mention that Barks rocks! :headbang:

I agree. The Gladstone "graphic novel" volumes are also a great read since they're in color and reprint certain genres. For instance there's one where Donald is a Master of everything he does (of course he screws up in the end). I believe there are 4 10-pagers in that volume. They're the same size (magazine) as Marvel and DC graphic novels of the 80's.

Of course, if anyone here has a large stack of Bark's Duck reprints they want to unload really cheap, with bulk shipping, let us know.

---------------------------------------------

I'll put some up. I have a stack of the Gladstone or whatever ones from the 80s or 90s. I spent money on them and they're all super sharp, so I'm not going to dump them (would rather just save them for my son who is 2 and will be reading them in 2-4 years if I keep them), but I'll come up with something fair.

I've been looking online at the Gladstone novels and there are a bunch of them. Can somebody recommend one in particular that's a good place to start for the novice?

They're all great, just that some are more great than others. Looking on eBay I would suggest in a semi-priority order 4 (bullet valley), 25 (christmas for shacktown), 13 (golden helmet), 15 (gladstone & donald), 10 (ancient persia), 5 (land beneath the ground), 6 (hawaii), Spec 4 (Flinthart Glomgold), Spec 2 (sunken city, luck of the north).

You cannot go wrong with any of the Donald Duck & Uncle Scrooges. The Daisy & Donald might be the only semi-weak one.

link

.....13 (golden helmet),
(thumbs u

This is an incredible story and Barks does a wonderful job of showing greed and lust for power. And you learn some useful lawyer terms lol

Voodoo Hoodoo is also excellent and the Zombie in that story would be a good way to hook a horror fan into the Barks realm.

.....13 (golden helmet),
(thumbs u

This is an incredible story and Barks does a wonderful job of showing greed and lust for power. And you learn some useful lawyer terms lol

Voodoo Hoodoo is also excellent and the Zombie in that story would be a good way to hook a horror fan into the Barks realm.

hm

:bump: Missed this thread while I was on vacation.

I've been bitten by the Barks bug this year as well. I've got quite a few of the WDC&S issues featuring Scrooge & Gladstone. And I've got several issues of the Uncle Scrooge run. But I find the early Donald Duck adventures in FC most enjoyable. So I've started collecting the Carl Barks Library series that reprints them in order.

When I started, my main interest was Uncle Scrooge. But I've found that I like the rivalry between Gladstone Gander and Donald even more enjoyable.

:bump: Missed this thread while I was on vacation.

I've been bitten by the Barks bug this year as well. I've got quite a few of the WDC&S issues featuring Scrooge & Gladstone. And I've got several issues of the Uncle Scrooge run. But I find the early Donald Duck adventures in FC most enjoyable. So I've started collecting the Carl Barks Library series that reprints them in order.

When I started, my main interest was Uncle Scrooge. But I've found that I like the rivalry between Gladstone Gander and Donald even more enjoyable.

Didn't you get the memo? Duck books are for kids! :makepoint:

:jokealert:

Nope. I'm reading the color reprint series from the 90s.
Oh. not the hardcover ones but the squarebound comics.

Yes. I have 8 of the 25 issues now (and that includes some of the stories from March of Comics, which are great to see).

46907-CBLset.JPG.83f1836f5687592f809e67761cbcf858.JPG

:applause: (thumbs u Those are fun! I know a store that still has them on their shelves for cover price I believe. If you're interested, LMK, I can check out what they have and ship them to you (even though I think they have more WDCS reprints than anything else). PM me. I don't have them all myself either. I only have 16 of them. :sorry: