• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC and the Competition

27 posts in this topic

I know this has had to have been discussed before, but my searches keep telling me all my key words are too short. (shrug)

I know PGX is no CGC, but how much worse are they? Is a PGX 6.0 a CGC 5.5? Is the difference consistent at all? How much would anyone here trust PGX? I have never seen a PGX book in person, so I don't know how to compare them.

I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything, but I'm looking at picking up a PGX book and just wonder how much I should trust the grade.

PGX actually grades tougher than CGC, but their resto detection is suspect.
At the higher end grades (generally speaking), but very loose at the lower end of the grading scale. Buy a PGX book and roll the dice b/c restoration detection is pretty much zero point zero, Mr. Blutowsky.

So, my mid-range book is "iffy" then? hm

I still think it's a good deal and it's a book I've been needing foro quite awhile now. I'd be happy even if has a bit of resto work, as long as I've got a copy with nice eye appeal at the right price.

Except...I hate to say it!...be wary of trimming. We've seen a number of examples where PGX has missed pretty glaring trim jobs.

As with a raw book, just ask for large scans and if you don't see anything suspicious, probably OK. Since it's a mid-grade and not high grade, chances are good it's fine.

Med, what book is it, or if you dont want to give specifics what era? And what is the given grade?

If you are not overly worried about missed resto, and the price is right then I dont see why you should not bid on it if the book looks to be close to the advertised grade.

But if you plan on flipping, or re subbing it to CGC, that is where problems may arise. Or they may not, just know it is a calculated risk.

Ze-

I know this has had to have been discussed before, but my searches keep telling me all my key words are too short. (shrug)

I know PGX is no CGC, but how much worse are they? Is a PGX 6.0 a CGC 5.5? Is the difference consistent at all? How much would anyone here trust PGX? I have never seen a PGX book in person, so I don't know how to compare them.

I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything, but I'm looking at picking up a PGX book and just wonder how much I should trust the grade.

Who was/is the seller?