• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goden Age, Key's, and High Grade!!!

19 posts in this topic

So this is my new view of comic collecting. After selling off about 700 silver and bronze age comics on ebay, doing ok over all, but still only hitting guide or close on the high grade or keys, I have decided to only collect the above.

Golden age, Keys, and High Grade! Now, don't get me wrong I love VG books, they are great!!! That being said I will never invest thousands of dollars in 4.0 to 8.0 books unless they are key's, or GA as the return if you do sell is terrible!

The good thing is I have moved to GA, I will still dable in SA and bronze, but only in high grade and or key issues!!!

What say you brothers!!! Does the Bronze and Silver age lack in low grade? Is guide even relavant if you don't own a comic shop? I am thinking that low grade i.e. 7.0 and under is lucky to get 50% of guide on fee bay unless key or first appearance.

What say you brothers!!! Does the Bronze and Silver age lack in low grade?

...it appears to be the case. There seems to be an ever widening gap between "the hot" ( which you reference as this threads name ) and "the not".

A book is either a multiple of Guide, or a discount off Guide, with fewer and fewer books selling at Guide in many instances ( just an observation..not backed by research). I also focus on what you have decided to Paul, and it is working out very nicely for me.....I am picky with what I buy, and it is very rewarding ----- if I keep something, it is well worth keeping, and if I trade or sell, I have a high demand item that is easy to move. For me personally, I have been more satisfied buying a $2,000 book than buying 10 $200 books. Hope your new quest works out well for you! (thumbs u

Steve

I've been selling low grade SA books on Ebay ever since I started on Ebay (maybe 8 years ago) I NEVER saw that they went for guide...when I looked at the guide, I'd automatically figured 50 percent...sometimes I get surprised and they go higher, sometimes, lower...but even when I figured a BIN (the WOW, would I be happy if I got this price) it was about 65 percent...

I started changing my collection about 7 years ago...just keep buying more than I sell...so, I haven't actually gotten rid of that part of my collection yet...but I hope to at least work towards getting rid of the doubles this year:)

I didn't change, btw, because I thought the market changed...but because I just love the GA books...and the covers, and the feel of them...and I think they are much harder to find than the Silver age, which seemed common to me after a while, even the "keys". There have been very few keys, except maybe Fantastic Four 1, or ASM #1, that I found hard to find, and even those were not, it was just that I didn't feel like spending the money on the 8 dozen that were available...I certainly think that Ebay helped find most of the books hidden in people's closets, but it also helped find hidden collectors, that perhaps were not the type to hang out in LCS...(lot more women lately, I used to be one of the few...;)

I keep reading these threads about gloom doom and the Silver/Bronze age and smiling...I just think the guide should reflect Ebay, because it's a HUGE part of the market, yet it seems to ignore that...nice book though...I enjoy it.

It was nice meeting you in Chicago, Mr. Shomburg!:) (thumbs u

So this is my new view of comic collecting. After selling off about 700 silver and bronze age comics on ebay, doing ok over all, but still only hitting guide or close on the high grade or keys, I have decided to only collect the above.

Golden age, Keys, and High Grade! Now, don't get me wrong I love VG books, they are great!!! That being said I will never invest thousands of dollars in 4.0 to 8.0 books unless they are key's, or GA as the return if you do sell is terrible!

The good thing is I have moved to GA, I will still dable in SA and bronze, but only in high grade and or key issues!!!

What say you brothers!!! Does the Bronze and Silver age lack in low grade? Is guide even relavant if you don't own a comic shop? I am thinking that low grade i.e. 7.0 and under is lucky to get 50% of guide on fee bay unless key or first appearance.

Even the High grade Silver and Bronze markets seemed to have peaked a couple of years ago (at least for mainline stuff, the keys keep setting records, but then...they are keys). Anything that's not a key, you can expect to stay relatively flat or even dip below GPA average on occasion.

Early SA Marvels (pre-1964) still sell well in all grades, at guide (raw or slabbed). Anything after 1965 that's not a key or not high grade...good luck getting more than 75% guide, and most non-key BA and newer books in low-mid grade are $1/$2/$5 box fodder, regardless of guide. The mainstream GA market is stronger than ever.

I just sold about 12 silver age Marvels in the VG range on ebay and got 1/3 to 1/2 of guide even on some early Spider-Man's. The only book that did far better than I expected was a G- Hulk 181 which went for over double guide. I still collect high grade 50's DC sci-fi books which are very hard to find and in the last few years, have moved mainly into golden age. I did have some luck selling high grade raw silver and bronze age Marvel and DC's in San Diego this year for over guide.

Ken

I collect only GA and that just for enjoyment. My goal has always been to be able to pay for the hobby by breaking even if I sell a book. If I make a profit...great, but that isn't my motivation for collecting comic books. With that attitude I hardly ever feel any pressure or remorse and never need to stretch the truth or resort to the hard sell. I haven't dumped tons of money into certain books for spec and haven't need to tweak books for greater profit and I collect what I enjoy reading. Books that I can't afford or refuse to pay the money for, I can always read in reprints if available. I've made a ton of collecting mistakes over the years but because of my approach to the hobby, they haven't cost me. Sure, I regret not buying a certain book at a certain price, but don't we all? All except BangZoom, of course...and John Berk. Life's to short and they are after all, only funny books. If I had a time machine and could go back and change my collecting focus, what would I change?Well......if I could do that, the last thing I would be thinking about changing would be comic books.

I collect only GA and that just for enjoyment. My goal has always been to be able to pay for the hobby by breaking even if I sell a book. If I make a profit...great, but that isn't my motivation for collecting comic books. With that attitude I hardly ever feel any pressure or remorse and never need to stretch the truth or resort to the hard sell. I haven't dumped tons of money into certain books for spec and haven't need to tweak books for greater profit and I collect what I enjoy reading. Books that I can't afford or refuse to pay the money for, I can always read in reprints if available. I've made a ton of collecting mistakes over the years but because of my approach to the hobby, they haven't cost me. Sure, I regret not buying a certain book at a certain price, but don't we all? All except BangZoom, of course...and John Berk. Life's to short and they are after all, only funny books. If I had a time machine and could go back and change my collecting focus, what would I change?Well......if I could do that, the last thing I would be thinking about changing would be comic books.

Maybe I was unclear. My point was while my main reason for collecting is for the love of the hobby, my recent sale of Silver age makes me doubt the investment of that spending as I did not recoup my investment. With my change to GA, I have found more enjoyment as well as a better security for my fun money. Nothing can be more damaging to the hobby then collectors overpaying for books, that being said time usually will heal all purchase wounds. I would not ever collect with the mind set of making money, but to have liquid collectables is a nice saftey net, especially when your books start averaging a 1000.00 a piece or more. I quess, I was curious to whether the concenus was a real soft market for post 1964 anything other than super high grade or key books. I feel it is grossly overpriced, and thus my switch to GA(a desicion based soley on my interest) will most likey be a far greater investment, even if I never sell. Not to mention the realized prices are based upon true scarcity or strong interest....as opposed to speculation of the next big Marvel movie.

Paul

I've been selling low grade SA books on Ebay ever since I started on Ebay (maybe 8 years ago) I NEVER saw that they went for guide...when I looked at the guide, I'd automatically figured 50 percent...sometimes I get surprised and they go higher, sometimes, lower...but even when I figured a BIN (the WOW, would I be happy if I got this price) it was about 65 percent...

I started changing my collection about 7 years ago...just keep buying more than I sell...so, I haven't actually gotten rid of that part of my collection yet...but I hope to at least work towards getting rid of the doubles this year:)

I didn't change, btw, because I thought the market changed...but because I just love the GA books...and the covers, and the feel of them...and I think they are much harder to find than the Silver age, which seemed common to me after a while, even the "keys". There have been very few keys, except maybe Fantastic Four 1, or ASM #1, that I found hard to find, and even those were not, it was just that I didn't feel like spending the money on the 8 dozen that were available...I certainly think that Ebay helped find most of the books hidden in people's closets, but it also helped find hidden collectors, that perhaps were not the type to hang out in LCS...(lot more women lately, I used to be one of the few...;)

I keep reading these threads about gloom doom and the Silver/Bronze age and smiling...I just think the guide should reflect Ebay, because it's a HUGE part of the market, yet it seems to ignore that...nice book though...I enjoy it.

It was nice meeting you in Chicago, Mr. Shomburg!:) (thumbs u

I agree with you 100%, and it was nice meeting you as well.

Paul

What say you brothers!!! Does the Bronze and Silver age lack in low grade?

...it appears to be the case. There seems to be an ever widening gap between "the hot" ( which you reference as this threads name ) and "the not".

A book is either a multiple of Guide, or a discount off Guide, with fewer and fewer books selling at Guide in many instances ( just an observation..not backed by research). I also focus on what you have decided to Paul, and it is working out very nicely for me.....I am picky with what I buy, and it is very rewarding ----- if I keep something, it is well worth keeping, and if I trade or sell, I have a high demand item that is easy to move. For me personally, I have been more satisfied buying a $2,000 book than buying 10 $200 books. Hope your new quest works out well for you! (thumbs u

Steve

Well so far it has worked well! and I agree, much more satisfaction from a 2K book as to 10 200.00 for me as well.

Paul

Maybe I was unclear. My point was while my main reason for collecting is for the love of the hobby, my recent sale of Silver age makes me doubt the investment of that spending as I did not recoup my investment. With my change to GA, I have found more enjoyment as well as a better security for my fun money. Nothing can be more damaging to the hobby then collectors overpaying for books, that being said time usually will heal all purchase wounds. I would not ever collect with the mind set of making money, but to have liquid collectables is a nice saftey net, especially when your books start averaging a 1000.00 a piece or more. I quess, I was curious to whether the concenus was a real soft market for post 1964 anything other than super high grade or key books. I feel it is grossly overpriced, and thus my switch to GA(a desicion based soley on my interest) will most likey be a far greater investment, even if I never sell. Not to mention the realized prices are based upon true scarcity or strong interest....as opposed to speculation of the next big Marvel movie.

Paul

As someone who has done exactly the same as you in the last year (but concentrated on the superior DC Tecs and keys than Timely fodder) I totally agree (thumbs u

Paul

You were clear, I was just going off on a tangent as I sometimes do. Golden Age is the only thing that interst me now, I had all that silver age stuff growing up, so it doesn't appeal to me the way GA does.

If i may interject a couple cents worth of wisdom gleaned, i do not run auctions on eBay. I place stuff into my eBay store at BLBcomics as BUY IT NOW Or Best Offer - and let it percolate for a few months till i find my buyer.

eBay 7 or 10 auction path is simply a function of who happens to be looking that day or week

My sales come from people typing whatever they started having a Jones On for at any given moment in time. I get my price - have sold quite a few this way now.

Say i sell a half dozen comic books in the eBay store for $800

say they were listed for 4 months

cost me $2.88 to get them sold

and you get to turn down offers until you realize the price you seek

or close enough to it

Then you begin to make eBay work for you

Just a thought

Robert Beerbohm

www.BLBcomics.com

Still reminiscing about that missed 1999 Comiclink Pep 22, eh?

I'm not sure I fully agree with your statements. There is plenty of soft sales (or non-sales) in GA as well. Desirability of a SA is not lessened because it is SA when compared to GA (if that makes sense).

A slabbed high grade ASM is a lot more liquid at consistent prices than my raw Animal Antics #1.

The problem with eBay and comic prices is trust. Anytime I buy I assume that the seller overgraded and take that into account when bidding. Some sellers consistantly get near guide because there are enough buyers that know that they will get what they pay for and the 2nd highest bidder bids high (which is the bidder that really counts on auctions).

If you are looking for resale value, than buying key Silver and Bronze age books, along with any Timelys I figure is the best formula. I think buying SA/BA keys in any grade are profitable as long as you don't pay to much for them in the first place. There seems to be a high demand for Hulk #181, ASM #121 and #129 in VG and NM. Buying only high grade copies isn't the only way in which to profit off of them. Certain Silver Age key books (X-men #1) have actually been selling stronger in low grade (1.0-3.5) than high grade (4.0-9.4) over the last 5 years. I think with high grade books, you have less of a market to sell to because fewer can afford them. It's good to have lesser keys in high grade, but when talking about major keys...it seems like there are only a small number of people who can afford it.

I think GA DC keys, and any Timelys are good in just about any grade. Timelys sell over guide in just about any grade, so if you can find any of them for under guide then it is probably a good deal (whether the books is low, mid or high grade).