• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the most pleasant surprize that you've had

47 posts in this topic

For me it was a Daredevil #43 (black cover with captain america).

I bought it raw $40 on Ebay two years ago. It was described as "MINT", and the seller was apparently not involved in comics 893crossfingers-thumb.gif.

I was afraid to receive a book between fine/very fine but i got a good surprise.

The book was really glossy, with square corners and no flaw at the spine.

I sent the book to CGC expecting a nice 9.2/9.4 and got a top census 9.6 NM+ smile.gif .

So yes, it's sometimes happened for real...

Here is the book:

dd43.jpg

Nice!!!!!! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

and i had a few curators not too long ago of DD, the #52 & 53.......oh well.

best suprizes I can think of 4 me.....

1. buyin ASM #14 for $80 from an ad in the cbg about 17 years ago (cgc 8.5)

2. trading for ASM #17 at the Boston show many years ago (cgc 9.2)

3. Buyin ASM #129 at the Boston show many years ago for $20 (cgc 9.6)

4. Buyin 2 IF #14s for $5 each at the Boston show.....(one came back cgc 9.4)

5. Buyin Hulk #109,110 and XMEN #57 at the Boston Expo show last year for $100 and they came back cgc 9.6,9.4 and 9.4.....cha ching! grin.gif

and the list could go on....

Which book? The DC Superstars 2? confused-smiley-013.gif

Nah......a Batman #185 (80 pager) that I bought off eBay listed as a NM a couple of years ago. It looked pretty nice and I immediately sent it off to CGC hoping it would come back 9.0 or higher. Came back 9.0 so I was pretty happy with it. Sold it later and got all my money back (including grading fees) when I upgraded.

Mikey asked me about that DC Superstars 2 the other day. Still have it ungraded, along with a nice NM Superman #275 I bought from Metro. As soon as I can find one more of the books I'm looking for in nice raw condition, then I'll join up to get the 3 submission certificates so I can send them in together. thumbsup2.gif

Huh? You actually have comics? insane.gif

Yeah, dude, the bug has a nice collection! thumbsup2.gif

a few years ago i bought ultimate spidey#1 white variant from milehigh comics and when it came in i thought the best it would get from cgc would be 8.5-9.0 but to my surprise it came back 9.6 laugh.gif a while back a bought a cgc 9.8 for over $100 and i received it in the mail and then 2 weeks later the seller sent another cgc 9.8 to me i geuss he got confused. wink.gif

I bought a Pep Comics #1 last year from a dealer that described the book as VG+ to VG/Fine. I paid around 60% of VG+ guide price from him, and was quite happy with the book; pages looked almost white.

I sent it off to CGC, and it came back an unrestored Fine + 6.5 with off-white pages! Couldn't believe my luck!

#1- an asm 300 described as near mint came back 9.6. can't remember what i paid for the raw book but i know it isn't as much as i could get if i wanted to sell it slabbed.

#2- i bought a lot of usm books, 1-12 with #1 being the white version for $287 for the entire lot! slabbed 1-6, nothing less than a 9.6 with the #1 coming back at 9.8. flipped it for over $500. happy days.

Reading this thread, it seems to me that the good deals now days are from new sellers or sellers who don't know comics. On ebay, I look for Estate Finds auctions which usually has antique dealers selling comics. I got a nm SA Action comics for about 10 dollars. When buying this way, I usually don't got higher in bidding than what a vg copy would be. The antique dealers know they may have something good, but they don't know how to present it and probably just want to get rid of it since they have found good antique pieces.

This might be slightly off-topic, but since I don't submit books I intend on keeping in my collection, it's the best I can do. I saw an online antique store advertising a slew of "mint" and "perfect" Disney and Looney Tunes cereal give-aways in lots of complete sets, including mailers. One of the lots included Barks' Donald Duck's Atomic Bomb. They were dirt cheap, so I figured that I'd ignore my usual misgivings about antique dealers who believe that their books are "perfect". Lo and behold- 9.2's-9.8's, easy. And the Bark's book was the best of the lot. Pretty "pleasant".

The only CGC submissions that I've done personally were for a little stack

of Blonde Phantom's (Timely 1940s). I picked them up for $3 each at a flea market...

I got a couple CGC 6.5's... so I didn't mind a bit.

Another "pleasant surprise" happened when I bid $335 in the last minute

for the first ever Valiant CGC 10...

and wound up "top bidder" at $200. grin.gif

The only CGC submissions that I've done personally were for a little stack

of Blonde Phantom's (Timely 1940s). I picked them up for $3 each at a flea market...

I got a couple CGC 6.5's... so I didn't mind a bit.

Blonde Phantoms at $3 a pop? Wow. I had a Blonde Phantom # 1 which I sold for over $600 a few years ago unslabbed. How come I can never find these items at flea markets?

I had a Blonde Phantom # 1 which I sold for over $600 a few years ago unslabbed.

Are you sure? Blonde Phantom started with #12. grin.gif

Well, then that's not it. I had a # 1, and I know that the title changed to the Blonde Phantom later in the series. I know Phantom was in the title...I'm drawing a blank.

Well, then that's not it. I had a # 1, and I know that the title changed to the Blonde Phantom later in the series. I know Phantom was in the title...I'm drawing a blank.

Blonde Phantom first appeared in issue #11 of All-Select Comics.

If you had #1 of All-Select... you might should have held onto it. cloud9.gif

I had a Blonde Phantom # 1 which I sold for over $600 a few years ago unslabbed.

Are you sure? Blonde Phantom started with #12. grin.gif

That would make it All Select #1 - one of the (if not THE) best Schomburg WWII covers. $600? What kind of condition? If it was anything better than G/VG, the buyer could probably post his story on this thread!! 27_laughing.gif