• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Stubhub, Ticketmaster, and the NY Yankees

18 posts in this topic

OK, let me get this straight.

Previously if I wanted to sell concert/sports tickets on ebay, I got charged the regular 5% final value fee and the closely controlled my ability to "illegally" charge scalper prices in most states.

Then ebay buys stubhub.com and all of a sudden its OK to scalp for maximum dollar? Sure there is lip service paid on stubhub about me agreeing to follow "local law", but nowhere near the tight price restrictions on ebay.

And stubhub now wants 25% of my sale ?? A 15% seller fee, a 10% buyer fee, and then they will prbably pay with paypal, so add on another 4%.

So ebay now gets 29% of my sale? No wonder they want me scalping for maximum dollar.

Then Ticketmaster sues ebay, claiming stubhub is illegally cutting side deals with concert promoters to get the best Tickets, so Stubhub can scalp them as "premium seats". This does not sit well with the Ticketmaster monopoly who likes to control all aspects of the concert biz.

And then there are the NY Yankees, revoking season tickets from their customers for selling their tickets on Stubhub and other venues. So far at least 10 people have lost their season tickets. The Yankees also deny entrance to the stadium to anyone carrying a Stubhub envelope.

Why? Because the Yankees are going into the scalping business themselves, and don't want the competition. The Yankees will join 28 other teams in allowing fans to resell their tickets, but only through the team (for a fee of course).

And all of them are lobbying congress to get rid of all ticket scalping laws so they can make even more money.

So now about this .......

How about I don't go to any more concerts and sports events anymore. Your tickets are already ridiculously overpriced with face value, but its never enough, they want to control every aspect of the buying, selling, and now the re-selling process.

You can all take your tickets and shove them you know where......

In time more fans with also get fed up with your ridiculous BS and also stay home.

Welcome to MO where the legislature just legalized scalping on sports tickets. No law against entertainment previously. I hate the idea of higher ticket prices but that's the market at work. I don't know why every venue or team doesn't already have scaled pricing. Secondary markets only exist where the original pricing is not market value.

:sick:

The ticket business is enough to make you sick. How does a business that is essentially a monopoly get away with the insane gouging "convenience charges?" Up to 30% to 40% on top of already ludricrous prices? Genesis was just here a few weeks ago charging $200 a ticket. :screwy: Is it any wonder the place was reportedly half empty?

If this wasn't enough, now you have to compete with "sanctioned scalpers" to even get tickets at those prices!

No thanks. I'll sit in the convenience and comfort of my own home and watch the game. I don't need to see any concerts. They rarely are worth the hassle anyway.

The ticket industry runs on a business model the mob would love.

hm

The ticket business is enough to make you sick. How does a business that is essentially a monopoly get away with the insane gouging "convenience charges?" Up to 30% to 40% on top of already ludricrous prices? Genesis was just here a few weeks ago charging $200 a ticket. :screwy: Is it any wonder the place was reportedly half empty?

If this wasn't enough, now you have to compete with "sanctioned scalpers" to even get tickets at those prices!

No thanks. I'll sit in the convenience and comfort of my own home and watch the game. I don't need to see any concerts. They rarely are worth the hassle anyway.

hm

why do you have a dodger as your avatar :baiting:

hm

why do you have a dodger as your avatar :baiting:

That's Joba Chamberlain, NY Yankees.

I love the game and the team... not the ticketing system and pricing which is an insult to working class families.

Why? Because the Yankees are going into the scalping business themselves, and don't want the competition. The Yankees will join 28 other teams in allowing fans to resell their tickets, but only through the team (for a fee of course)

The Cubs run their own ticket brokering business just down the street from Wrigley. I wonder how they get such good tickets there? hm

You would think anti-trust law should stop the Yankees from preventing season ticket holders from selling their tickets, while engaging in the same practice themselves. One of these days the Yankees will revoke the season tickets of a lawyer and they will find themselves in court on anti-trust grounds. And they will lose.

OK, let me get this straight.

Previously if I wanted to sell concert/sports tickets on ebay, I got charged the regular 5% final value fee and the closely controlled my ability to "illegally" charge scalper prices in most states.

Then ebay buys stubhub.com and all of a sudden its OK to scalp for maximum dollar? Sure there is lip service paid on stubhub about me agreeing to follow "local law", but nowhere near the tight price restrictions on ebay.

And stubhub now wants 25% of my sale ?? A 15% seller fee, a 10% buyer fee, and then they will prbably pay with paypal, so add on another 4%.

So ebay now gets 29% of my sale? No wonder they want me scalping for maximum dollar.

Then Ticketmaster sues ebay, claiming stubhub is illegally cutting side deals with concert promoters to get the best Tickets, so Stubhub can scalp them as "premium seats". This does not sit well with the Ticketmaster monopoly who likes to control all aspects of the concert biz.

And then there are the NY Yankees, revoking season tickets from their customers for selling their tickets on Stubhub and other venues. So far at least 10 people have lost their season tickets. The Yankees also deny entrance to the stadium to anyone carrying a Stubhub envelope.

Why? Because the Yankees are going into the scalping business themselves, and don't want the competition. The Yankees will join 28 other teams in allowing fans to resell their tickets, but only through the team (for a fee of course).

And all of them are lobbying congress to get rid of all ticket scalping laws so they can make even more money.

So now about this .......

How about I don't go to any more concerts and sports events anymore. Your tickets are already ridiculously overpriced with face value, but its never enough, they want to control every aspect of the buying, selling, and now the re-selling process.

You can all take your tickets and shove them you know where......

In time more fans with also get fed up with your ridiculous BS and also stay home.

BECAUSE...they are the NEW YORK YANKEES

and yes, they are in a league of their own, in a myriad of ways (pun intended) :cool: