• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SA ASM Collectors- What are your thoughts?

62 posts in this topic

Ok, a copy of ASM Annual 1 showed up at one of my LCSs. They're grading it at 1.0 FR and priced at guide. Now, normally I find they under grade on every event, but this is even more so than normal as it's running easily at a 2.5. Truthfully, the book presents like a VG to high VG, but I ballparked it at a GD+ because of the following defect. Here's the rub: there are three staples on it and I'm wondering 1. if they're being used to help reinforce the book and 2. what sort of grading effect would this have on it?

I'm about 60-40 on this one as it's on my big hit list, and I've been seeing legitimate FR copies going for $25-$50 on eBay lately so $40 seems to be one helluva steal. Anyhoo, just curious what my fellow SA ASM collectors think as I'm pretty tempted go a little in the red for this one.

See, now I thought with Annual being one of those square bound comics (a la GS XM 1), the staples shouldn't be showing- hence where I was thinking the staples were added after. Am I wrong on this? It's not often I've had a copy of ASM Ann 1 in hand, so you'll have to excuse my cherry-like exterior ;)

And I have got to say after examining the insides, they were in really, really nice shape. No smell, OW, and the sides and corners were nice and crisp.

To me, it depends on several factors. If it was added by some JoeSchmoe, then it is restored/doctored. If it was done at the printers, not too obtrusive, and the rest of the book was sweet, then I would probably not mind.

They are hard to come by in decent condition.

I am fortunate to have a VG+ with no spine splits

See, now I thought with Annual being one of those square bound comics (a la GS XM 1), the staples shouldn't be showing- hence where I was thinking the staples were added after. Am I wrong on this? It's not often I've had a copy of ASM Ann 1 in hand, so you'll have to excuse my cherry-like exterior ;)

And I have got to say after examining the insides, they were in really, really nice shape. No smell, OW, and the sides and corners were nice and crisp.

Sometimes the staples pop through do to wear.

Those may be the originals you are seeing.

Sometimes the staples pop through do to wear.

Those may be the originals you are seeing.

On square-bound Annuals they DO show thru on about 25% of all the copies I find that are lower grade!!!

Probably the Originals!!!!!!

As collectors, we all come from some very different backgrounds, but share a common love. Perhaps its purchase should depend on whether $40 is a lot of money for you or not.

If there are more pressing uses for the dough, don't buy. Wait for a copy that is a keeper.

If $40 bucks is not a big deal (i.e., dinner and a couple of beer), pick it up to enjoy in even this reduced state. It's a really nice book...great art with those incredible full page Spidey/Villains scenes.

My 12¢

Dennis

$40 is a lot only because I'm cheap, but it won't break the bank by any means. I'm just wondering how much people think this sort of resto/ "bonus work" will devalue the book. It's really more for my own reference as I am thinking more and more that I will be snatching up the copy as it just presents really well (IMO). AND finding really presentable copies is getting to be a pain in the .

Take the staples out if they aren't the originals, I'm guessing they are. If they are holding on the cover, I'd just hold out for a better copy unless you just want to read it. If so then buy and flip.

Ed

Looks like I'm going to buy the book. Honestly, and this is just me, it presents FAR better than a FR 1.0. If the guys are marking it down because they've found some resto, then I'm still paying a reasonable price on it since it's half the price of a GD 2.0 and presents closer to a VG 4.0. Besides, we all know what a pain in the it is trying to locate a really nice looking copy of this book.

Jeffro, the LCS I'm grabbing the ASM Annual 1 is located in Waterbury- Legends of Superheroes. It's a little out of the way, but I used to go there a lot more often when I taught classes in the area. The two guys who own the place are really, really nice guys and are some of the most conservative graders I know. I'm getting to be a regular at Omni Comics in Bristol though as the owner has been really cool about expanding his back issue collection- especially in the ASM department. About a year ago or so, he really only had moderns on the rack, but he's been starting to build up more back issue stock and thereby getting more of my spending money ;) Again, very cool guy who's flexible on prices, good at grading, and let's me have a buy pile :)

While there are a few other places in the area, these two are probably my favorite to frequent. Like I said, the fella at Legends is bringing the ASM Ann 1 to the Plainville show this weekend for me as well as a RRP All Star Batman #6 signed by Jim Lee for MedicAR (trying to help him fill one of his holes) which I think is pretty cool. And the owner of Omni has hooked me up with all of my big deals you've seen on the boards here (ASMs, Avengers, etc).

Are you going this weekend by the way?

Are you going this weekend by the way?

Unfortunately no. Once again I'm missing this show. :(

I used to be a regular at Omni in Bristol. I'm glad to hear that they are once again building up their back issue selection. Maybe it's time for me to get over there again. I bought my oldest ASM (#24) at Omni. They had a 13 once for about $275. I was going to buy it but didn't for some reason. Wish I had. :( :(

I've been to Legends in Waterbury once but it was years ago.

Have you ever been to shop in Newtown called Cave Comics? Great back issue selection. http://www.cavecomics.com/

No, I can't say that I have. If you are ever in the Waterbury area, Legends is literally just off Exit 18 (I-84). Great place, and while stuff is generally priced at OSPG, I find they are always grading more strictly than any other dealer in the area. I might have to check that place out though if I'm in Newton sometime...