• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guilty conscience

Guilt  

366 members have voted

1. 1. Guilt

255 posts in this topic

I normally wait until the end of auctions to snipe on auctions that I am interested in but so do about 30 other people. hm To get around this I have started e-mailing sellers to offer to buy their comics way before they finish, with some success. I just offered a guy a pretty fair price to close out a semi-key issue but someone has already bid on it. If he closes the auction after someone already bid on it (which I don't do) - would you feel guilty?

Seller should feel guilty, not you.

Well lets see.. the auction is effectively an offer for sale withina specific format. If someones buys it off line, the only people missing out directly are feebay... so no guilt there on anyone's part.

But ethically, the seller is obligated to hold to the format for tos participating in the auction. They probably would have a case, but there is no consideration until payment is made... so probably not actually.

Ya guilt is all that the SELLER will feel, as their the ones rolling the dice for the whole show. (thumbs u

I personally wouldn't do it.

Karma loves to kick you in the beehive

with the "what comes around goes around" dish...

so, as much as I can, I try to treat other people how I would like to be treated...

How would you feel if the roles were reversed?

pretty pizzed I'd imagine...

hm

How would you feel if you were the bidder who put in a good faith bid and is now suddenly screwed? If someone has bid on one of my items, I will not end an auction or contact a seller to get them to do so.

I've been amazed at the reactions of those who want to jump in front and snag one of my auctions early. Say "NO" and some take it personally, try to make like it's your fault, or imply you're being naive by not doing so... :screwy:

I'm no lover of the eBay system but if you want to play in their game, you have to play by their rules.

And this whole "looking after yourself" bull is just a another way for people to validate their screwed-up ethics and shift guilt away in their own mind. Prisons are full of thieves who wear this mantra like a badge of honor...

Jim

How would you feel if you were the bidder who put in a good faith bid and is now suddenly screwed? If someone has bid on one of my items, I will not end an auction or contact a seller to get them to do so.

I've been amazed at the reactions of those who want to jump in front and snag one of my auctions early. Say "NO" and some take it personally, try to make it like it's your fault, or imply you're being naive by not doing so... :screwy:

I'm no lover of the eBay system but if you want to play in their game, you have to play by their rules.

And this whole "looking after yourself" bull is just a another way for people to validate their screwed-up ethics and shift guilt away in their own mind. Prisons are full of thieves who wear this mantra like a badge of honor...

Jim

I echo what Jim said! But I din't vote because I wouldn't do it, so I don't know if I'd feel guilty or not.

I will regulary ask sellers if they are interested in taking a Best Offer but ONLY if there are no bidders on the item. If someone pops up and bids before he commits, then all bets are off. It's no different than here when someone will PM an offer to a seller and another person posts the :takeit: before the deal goes through. You have to respect the trump; you don't have to like it, but you have to respect it. :sumo:

I've been amazed at the reactions of those who want to jump in front and snag one of my auctions early. Say "NO" and some take it personally, try to make like it's your fault, or imply you're being naive by not doing so... :screwy:

Jim

+1

Jim

+1

+2

Jim

+1

+2

+3 and not just because I want to be like Greggy when I grow up.

Greggy hasn't grown up yet. Who knows how he'll turn out... :baiting::grin:

Jim

Yes, I have

Greggy hasn't grown up yet. Who knows how he'll turn out... :baiting::grin:

Jim

Yes, I have
Prove it!
You prove it

"How would you feel if you were the bidder who put in a good faith bid and is now suddenly screwed? If someone has bid on one of my items, I will not end an auction or contact a seller to get them to do so."

Post of the day (thumbs u