• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Larson Marvel Comics #1

65 posts in this topic

Any long range holders for a Marvel 1 out their?

:hi:

holding one for about 20 years...

I remember seeing Jon's Marvel #1 years ago. Still stands as the only September copy of Marvel #1 I have ever seen.

S

Forgive my ignorance, but there's a September issue?!? Does it have SEP or SEPT or how does one distinguish it?

What a complete newb!

(Just kidding!)

Any long range holders for a Marvel 1 out their?

:hi:

holding one for about 20 years...

I remember seeing Jon's Marvel #1 years ago. Still stands as the only September copy of Marvel #1 I have ever seen.

S

Forgive my ignorance, but there's a September issue?!? Does it have SEP or SEPT or how does one distinguish it?

What a complete newb!

(Just kidding!)

He's swallowed the bait........we can go ahead and reel him in now. :applause:

Steve was being humorously sarcastic.There is of course no September issue but on the other hand, the Oct issue of Marvel 1 did start its distribution in Sept.So you can kinda call it a Sept issue,right.

I kinda remember seeing copies for sale as early as August.... :grin:

If I remember correctly, this was in the first Sotheby auction where a non-comicbook guy bought a number of big books including this one and had them on display....subject to sunlight....which leads to fading.....Anyone else old enough to confirm my recollection.....jb

Many books in that first auction (including the Larson Marvel #1 and Sub-Mariner #1) were bought by Harold Anderson of (at that time) Treat Entertainment for the purposes of display and promoting the hobby (and moving lots of comic multi-packs through Wal-Mart stores).

Later Anderson did a hugely successful promotion by buying the Gretzky/McNall Honus Wagner card and giving it away as a prize through entries sold in packs of cards at Wal-Mart.

Zilla is correct. Harold Anderson's family owned Anderson News Distribution. They had the original deal with Wal-Mart for distribution of all magazines, paperbacks, etc. Treat was a company set up to sell "collectible" comics and cards packs in Wal-Mart.