• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Larson Marvel Comics #1

65 posts in this topic

Any long range holders for a Marvel 1 out their?

:hi:

holding one for about 20 years...

I remember seeing Jon's Marvel #1 years ago. Still stands as the only September copy of Marvel #1 I have ever seen.

S

and purchased off the newsstand from my baby carriage....

I remember seeing Jon's Marvel #1 years ago. Still stands as the only September copy of Marvel #1 I have ever seen.

S

lol

S

lol

Where did you buy your copy BZ?? :baiting:

S

Good choice (thumbs u

If I remember correctly, this was in the first Sotheby auction where a non-comicbook guy bought a number of big books including this one and had them on display....subject to sunlight....which leads to fading.....Anyone else old enough to confirm my recollection.....jb

Jon;

I believe you have it correct as this is the same way that I remembered the story when I first read it in the pages of the CBG back in the early 90's. (thumbs u

Yes, apparently he had picked up most of the key books from that auction for his travelling road show. I don't believe he was related to the Walton family........just that the books would be displayed in some of the Wal Mart stores or somthing like that.

S

Actually purchased in 1981.....repair to upper left corner (in order to remove baby bottle milk stains)...but white pages which is unusual for many timelys....

one scan is clearer but not so good on colors as the other...

45278-marvel1.jpg.c1013e853cf6d4dbfa3228aaa0927211.jpg

45279-marvelcomics1.jpg.aeab96a6b6ef41ff45d0d053f1986f5c.jpg

S

I see a shrewd investor...

Lou , if I remember right, the guy your talking about wasn't he a publisher of a newspaper or other? I would have to dig thru my collection to confirm this. It is a shame though that the Larsen copy faded. Ernie Gerber also talked about seeing Church books that were bought by non collectors that didn't know how to preserve them , only to see them fade also. What a shame. Today with so much info out there there shouldn't be any excuse. We hope. :wishluck:

S

Actually purchased in 1981.....repair to upper left corner (in order to remove baby bottle milk stains)...but white pages which is unusual for many timelys....

Very nice.Thanks for sharing!

Dennis

S

John,

Super nice! Thank you for sharing. I remember the first time I saw Marvel Comics 1 in the price guide, would have been around 1980/81....The cover still captivates me today as it did then. For me this sums up the begining of the Golden age of Superhero books better than the other big guns.

The reasons for that are, that it keeps the pulp venue from which the super hero derived from. None of the other big guns, such as Tec 27, or Action 1 did this. I love the relationship between pulps and this book. You see some of that in Centuars, but those characters never made it through the ages and really ended up being a blip. I can imagine being a 8-12 yr old going to the news stand and seeing this book in full splendor, must have really drew kids in. Amazingly it also kick started and introduced not 1 but 3 characters still present today, almost 70 years later!

thanks again,

Paul

Jon I absolutely love your copy but do you think having it restored has effected its value a great deal? I say this because the spine, etc all look pretty sharp.

The book is very sharp but the upper left corner had to repaired due to a razor cut to the corner and interior pages....(probably when it was taken out of the mailing package.) With the tremendous prices on some of these books, i do think it effects the price. I do not want to get into a "restoration" dialouge or (diatribe, as often occurs). Let's leave it that the condition let me to be able to afford to purchase it in the first place.....and i am still content with it.....jon

If I remember correctly, this was in the first Sotheby auction where a non-comicbook guy bought a number of big books including this one and had them on display....subject to sunlight....which leads to fading.....Anyone else old enough to confirm my recollection.....jb

Many books in that first auction (including the Larson Marvel #1 and Sub-Mariner #1) were bought by Harold Anderson of (at that time) Treat Entertainment for the purposes of display and promoting the hobby (and moving lots of comic multi-packs through Wal-Mart stores).

Later Anderson did a hugely successful promotion by buying the Gretzky/McNall Honus Wagner card and giving it away as a prize through entries sold in packs of cards at Wal-Mart.

I do not want to get into a "restoration" dialouge or (diatribe, as often occurs). Let's leave it that the condition let me to be able to afford to purchase it in the first place.....and i am still content with it.....jon

Absoultey. I was just more curious as to its grade prior to restoration since its such a stunning copy.

S

Forgive my ignorance, but there's a September issue?!? Does it have SEP or SEPT or how does one distinguish it?

S

Forgive my ignorance, but there's a September issue?!? Does it have SEP or SEPT or how does one distinguish it?

:whistle: No quick delete your post before the pile on starts. :kidaround:

S

:whistle: No quick delete your post before the pile on starts. :kidaround:

Well, I can't now you've quoted me. :tonofbricks: Guess I've revealed my complete newbness..