• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Artist Survival Series Preliminary List

114 posts in this topic

Where's Alex Shomburg?

See above as to why he was cut-out. Plus, please point me to an actual story penciled by Schomburg that pulls him up to the Top 20 :baiting:

He is an Icon.

hm ... then I shouldn't open the can of worms about Frazetta then ...

Yes, Schomburg covers are some of the most desired GA covers. Yes, Schomburg was an accomplished artist. Yes, there is a lot of storytelling in his covers. Yes, he proved he could be versatile. Yes, his career spanned well over a decade. No, he shouldn't be on this list. Of course, you'd have a few arguments in your favor. I guess it'll be up to Freek to make the final decision ...

I went in the testing section to check on the poll options.

What we should do for each round is to have a set time when people can actually vote. This can be set by the starter of the poll.

Also, there is an option that will allow the results to NOT be seen until the poll ends.

This will mitigate the amount of bias one can have. If one knows about the results, they may change their votes to keep someone in or out. Plus, it will mitigate JC's bltching during the poll. :whistle:

Another suggestion is have the voters vote for who they want to stay rather than who they want kicked off.

Greggy you are brilliant! Sounds good to me

To the Baker, Swan, Heath and Lee fans. First, I only used the names Freek originally posted hence no Baker nor Swan. Second, Lee went with McFarlane as someone commented. As for Russ Heath, trust me, it's not for lack of love that I chucked him out but if the goal was to shorten the list, I'm sad to say that Heath had to be taken out and the same argument will go to all "under-rated" artist out there such as Swan. Trust me when I say it hurt to get rid of some people from the 40 listed while keeping others ** Byrne ** because I know Byrne will be supported by many.

Fair enough. Excellent list then Scrooge.

Hey CAP_FFreek, where's Matt Baker?

Seriously though, Baker is a highly influential artist who deserves to be on this list. His work is copied to this day by people who don't even realize who's work they're mimicking.

As to the Schomburg question? He didn't pencil many stories, but the ones he did were dynamite: "Tresspasser in Time" from Amazing Adventures 1, "Exhibit One" from Amazing Adventures 2, "Toni Gale" from Guns Against Gangsters 1 (?) , and Jon Juan. He's a monster of an artist.

Here is a list of 40 of the top artist that I compiled to do a new game tofind the top artist, Input would be helpful:

Jack Kirby

Will Eisner

Neal Adams

Carl Barks

Harvey Kurtzman

Wally Wood

Frank Frazetta

Steve Ditko

Bernard Krigstein

Lou Fine

Jack Cole

John Buscema

Jim Steranko

John Romita Sr.

Barry Windsor-Smith

Joe Kubert

Gil Kane

Al Williamson

Alex Toth

Johnny Craig

Frank Miller

Mac Raboy

Basil Wolverton

Gene Colan

John Severin

George Perez

Todd McFarlane

Graham Ingels

Russ Heath

Walter Simonson

Alex Schomburg

Jim Lee

John Romita Jr

John Byrne

Carmine Infantino

Bernie Wrightson

Bill Everett

Bob Kane

L.B. Cole

Sergio Aragones

Well to be fair....

Jim Starlin

Lily Renee

Michael Ploog....and so many others...start with around 100 artists and knock out 5 per round for a while.....

I'm lost (sorry). Which list are we looking at? Is it 20 or 40?

I favor a long list and plenty of time to vote between rounds. Why? Because I'd like to see people post examples of their favorites. I have strong opinions on this topic...BUT, I can be persuaded to change my mind. I freely admit that I'm unfamiliar with many GA and CA artists.

(By the way, Murphy Anderson should be on any list we come up with, and Gene Colan should not be on any best artist list, imo.)

Here is a list of 40 of the top artist that I compiled to do a new game tofind the top artist, Input would be helpful:

Jack Kirby

Will Eisner

Neal Adams

Carl Barks

Harvey Kurtzman

Wally Wood

Frank Frazetta

Steve Ditko

Bernard Krigstein

Lou Fine

Jack Cole

John Buscema

Jim Steranko

John Romita Sr.

Barry Windsor-Smith

Joe Kubert

Gil Kane

Al Williamson

Alex Toth

Johnny Craig

Frank Miller

Mac Raboy

Basil Wolverton

Gene Colan

John Severin

George Perez

Todd McFarlane

Graham Ingels

Russ Heath

Walter Simonson

Alex Schomburg

Jim Lee

John Romita Jr

John Byrne

Carmine Infantino

Bernie Wrightson

Bill Everett

Bob Kane

L.B. Cole

Sergio Aragones

Well to be fair....

Jim Starlin

Lily Renee

Michael Ploog....and so many others...start with around 100 artists and knock out 5 per round for a while.....

Forgot about Starlin. At one time he was my favorite artist! Great composition...talk about creative!

There I cut it down to 20 for you and alphabetized by last name - :acclaim::shy:

Adams, Neal

Barks, Carl

Buscema, John

Byrne, John

Colan, Gene

Cole, Jack

Ditko, Steve

Eisner, Will

Everett, Bill

Fine, Lou

Frazetta, Frank

Kirby, Jack

Kubert, Joe

Kurtzman, Harvey

Miller, Frank

Romita Sr., John

Steranko, Jim

Toth, Alex

Wood, Wally

Wrightson, Bernie

Okay, I just cut it down even further and saved us weeks and weeks of bickering.

Frazetta, Frank

There I cut it down to 20 for you and alphabetized by last name - :acclaim::shy:

Adams, Neal

Barks, Carl

Buscema, John

Byrne, John

Colan, Gene

Cole, Jack

Ditko, Steve

Eisner, Will

Everett, Bill

Fine, Lou

Frazetta, Frank

Kirby, Jack

Kubert, Joe

Kurtzman, Harvey

Miller, Frank

Romita Sr., John

Steranko, Jim

Toth, Alex

Wood, Wally

Wrightson, Bernie

Okay, I just cut it down even further and saved us weeks and weeks of bickering.

Frazetta, Frank

lol like I said before Frazetta my opinion was just on another level than everybody else. You can look at his paintings in awe for hours at a time as if it were done by Monet or Da Vinci. BUT the truth is I dont know if he counts for this challenge. He did great Mag and book covers as well as some interiors for mags but very limited for comic work. If he does make it shouldnt Alex Ross be here as well? hm I dunno but Frazetta over Kirby any day!

Adams, Neal

Barks, Carl

Buscema, John

Byrne, John

Colan, Gene

Cole, Jack

Ditko, Steve

Eisner, Will

Everett, Bill

Fine, Lou

Frazetta, Frank

Kirby, Jack

Kubert, Joe

Kurtzman, Harvey

Miller, Frank

Romita Sr., John

Steranko, Jim

Toth, Alex

Wood, Wally

Wrightson, Bernie

Frazetta, Frank

lol and (thumbs u

If you go by body of work then Kirby stomps Frazetta hands down!

My Top 20 (not in any particular order)

Neal Adams

Jim Starlin

Jim Steranko

Jack Kirby

Bermie Wrightson

Barry Smith

John Byrne

Frank Miller

Jim Aparo

John Buscema

Dave Cockrum

John Romita

Steve Ditko

George Perez

Gil Kane

Carmine Infantino

Bill Everett

Will Eisner

Bob Kane

Joe Kubert

All of the above had there own distinct style and flair. If you see their work it is instantly recognizeable. Also, most all of the above had also desiged/created most of the popular heroes that are around today.

Honorable mentions are Jack Davis, Paul Gulacy, L.B. Cole, Alex Schomberg, Lou Fine and Carl Barks

When I pick for this thread it is gonna be based on the same criteria I critique movies with. The most important being does it move me. Adams work is very emotional not to mention anatomy and proportion is near perfect. Tended to be on the dark side....mysterious quality. He could draw almost everything well. Kirby had to be one of the most dynamic artist. Crackling with energy was his art. Frazetta art is wondrous in that you look at it and your mind begins to drift and wonder about what is depicted. As close to showroom art comic art can get in my opinion. How many artist began drawing because of Frazetta? Legions. He did so effortlessly as well. He was so talented. Wish I was rich enough for some of his OA. I cant wait for this showdown. I love Steranko by the way. A Kirby protege but he found his own style. Everett is a bit unknown but is really great. Loved Jack Cole! I am getting too excited

I'm currently teaching my students some Assignment Completion strategies, and one of the important points I try to help them with is breaking things down into smaller manageable parts. An illustration I use is that of eating their favorite type of pie.

If I were to attempt to feed them an entire apple pie all at once I could reasonably expect one of or a combination of the following:

1. choking

2. throwing up

3. making a complete mess of the pie

So, to avoid these problems, we cut the pie into pieces and digest it in an easier to handle way. We're trying to make put together a poll by cramming all comic artists from nearly the past 70 years. Is this viable or realistic? Indulge me with one more illustration:

Will we ever see heavy-weight boxing champion Lennox Lewis fight againt a weltert-weight champion like Oscar de la Hoya? No. Each is a champion within his own class but they are physically built in such a way that to directly pitt one against the other would skew the results. And my point here? I don't think you can really compare artists from different periods due to vastly different cultural backdrops for each period.

Personally, I think that we had the right idea in breaking down comics by age in order to determine a winner. It would only seem sensible then to apply the same method for determining the best artists out there.

:shrug: