• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How important is condition to you?

73 posts in this topic

Now, I know, if given the choice, we'd all take that shiny 9.4.

But do you restrict your buying to certain grades? Do you refuse to buy, say, a VG?

I'm sorry if this has been covered before. But I'm relatively new, just trying to get a feel for the boards and get to know some of you!

depends on the book....and price.

GA for reading and then selling again G or better

GA for reading and keeping VG or better

GA for a series I really want to complete F/VF or better

GA keys whatever I can get them in but VG is really my cut-off.

SA my collection runs the gamut, so I prefer F/VF or better, but realistically I rarely upgrade, and very few of my books are slabbed.

Other ages, whatever I have off the stands is good, but usually VF/NM or better.

But do you restrict your buying to certain grades? Do you refuse to buy, say, a VG?

I'm sorry if this has been covered before. But I'm relatively new, just trying to get a feel for the boards and get to know some of you!

SA to early BA collector here :hi:

Um, grade is just a little important to me. :shy:

Raw books, like JLA's, Tecs, Aquaman, etc, I want VF/NM

Slabbed books :gossip:

GL's aftet about ish #50 9.2 minimum 9.4 except 76

Gl's up to there 9.0 minimum 9.2 or better if I can find one at a decent price

GL's in the 2-9 range, 8.0 minimum

Spectres :cloud9: 9.4 minimum, 9.6 prefered

Adventure Spectres 9.6 minimum

Do I refuse to buy VG hm um in 99.9 percernt of the time yes. I cant see spending huge $$$ on beaters. So the question is, "well, whats the lowest grade you will have on a GL 1"? Um i would like to have a Fine to F/VF. But I dont think i will buy a VG just to have a copy of the book

If I were starting over again I would make sure to try to buy books with at least light cream/offwhite or better pages when possible. No tan or unsupple pages. More important to me as a low to mid grade collector of GA than anything else.

Auburn,

You'll probably find an inordinate number of highgrade collectors here. I'll collect anywhere from FAIR to NM all depending on the issue. When it comes to key issues especially from the Silver Age, I'll take a FAIR so long the story and cover are intact. For modern stuff, as long as it's in the Fine range or better, I'm happy.

Story and art appreciation are most important to me, so low and mid grades are welcome here.

I am the kind of collector who can find love for a 2.0 book, so log as it's complete without a fugly cover. For a SA book that I'm after, I don't mind creases and spine roll if I can get it cheap. But, pieces out of the cover, water damage, etc are a no-no.

I would say that at least 80% of my silver books are Fine or better. 90% of my bronze are V-Fine or better. But I love 'em all the same! :cloud9:

Condition is important to me, but not so important as to keep me from taking a good deal when I see it. For example, I want my SA X-men run in the 6.0-8.0 range, but I will not pass on any given issue if it is a 5.0, if the price is right. Certain runs I am a bit more strict on...but it really depends on the grade/price of the book. For Timelys, I basically will take any complete and not overly trashed books. 2.0s are alright with me on those.

Condition is important to me, but not so important as to keep me from taking a good deal when I see it. For example, I want my SA X-men run in the 6.0-8.0 range, but I will not pass on any given issue if it is a 5.0, if the price is right. Certain runs I am a bit more strict on...but it really depends on the grade/price of the book. For Timelys, I basically will take any complete and not overly trashed books. 2.0s are alright with me on those.

Hey, King. Seems like I've seen you posting somewhere else . . .

What other runs are you working on?

My main focus is books from 70 - 75

I do collect SA and a few CA/MA.

For me its all about QP and grade. Hate sounding like a dingus but anything below a VF/NM does nothing for me.