• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Okay, someone explain Teen Titans continuity to me...

6 posts in this topic

First, in the 60s, you had the original Teen Titans (Robin, Aqua-Lad, Wonder-Girl, etc)

In the 80s, came the NEW Teen Titans. Which featured the first app. of Deathstroke in the second issue, the battle with Trigon, etc.

Okay, then they changed the name to the Tales of the Teen Titans somewhere along the line, while also starting the The New Titans (high-quality baxter printing).

Which was the reprints and which was not?

I'm thinking about completing this run and want to know what not to buy. I've got issues 3 through 20 of the NEW Teen Titans...

Hookay, here's a first attempt:

Teen Titans was the original 1960s series known primarily for the great Nick Cardy art, and by 1970 a turn toward relevance, with campus unrest and pacifism vs. militarism becoming recurring themes.

Teen Titans was revived (continuing original numbering) in the late 1970s. This was the period of Titans-West, The Joker's Daughter aka Harlequin, and has very little to recommend it.

New Teen Titans was the Wolfman/Perez early 1980s fondly-remembered series.

New Teen Titans (Baxter series) was relaunched sometime shortly before Crisis on Infinite Earths (mid 1980s). Simultaneously the previous New Teen Titans series was renamed "Tales of..." (similar to what was done to the Legion books at the same time). The renaming to "Tales of..." happened somewhere around issue 40-45, during the Judas Contract arc. For the next 12 months or so, both the Baxter series and the "Tales of" series carried new stories! After that period, "Tales of" started reprinting the Baxter stories. This was DC's "hardcover/softcover" experiment. Perez stopped drawing the Baxter book within the first year of its existance. The "Tales of" book was cancelled not long after it went to reprints.

Then somewhere around issue 50 of the Baxter book, it was renamed from "New Teen Titans" to "New Titans," and Perez briefly returned to drawing it. New Titans collapsed under the weight of its own continuity, and the spin-off "Team Titans" was even worse. There have been subsequent revivals under various names (Teen Titans, New Teen Titans, maybe other variations), but I confess I've stopped paying attention.

There were also the TEEN TITAN stories in BRAVE & BOLD and SHOWCASE that were pretty much an intro to the series.

And the team-up stories with Batman in B&B.

There was also a OFFICIAL INDEX series.

Last but not least, the TEEN TITAN and X-MEN Marvel & DC Presents comic.