• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game: GOLDEN AGE BEST ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: Round 1

GOLDEN AGE BEST ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: Round 1  

300 members have voted

1. 1. GOLDEN AGE BEST ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: Round 1

230 posts in this topic

I surprised even myself by not voting Alex Schomburg off, even I think he is by far the most overrated artist of the GA.

I know that we GA guys are supposed to be civil and agree to disagree...but man I can't tell you how much I disagree with the second half of this sentence.

Okay, so "most" is a bit of hyperbole, but I just can`t see what the fuss is. I don`t particularly care for his style and I can`t stand his cluttered covers.

I surprised even myself by not voting Alex Schomburg off, even I think he is by far the most overrated artist of the GA.

I know that we GA guys are supposed to be civil and agree to disagree...but man I can't tell you how much I disagree with the second half of this sentence.

Okay, so "most" is a bit of hyperbole, but I just can`t see what the fuss is. I don`t particularly care for his style and I can`t stand his cluttered covers.

I love 'em. They're everything that was good about GA covers - bizarre, over the top, darkly humorous and often beyond the pale. He was the Hieronymus Bosch of comics.

So there!! :sumo:

I voted CC Beck off since, although I do like his work, I just can't see myself ranking him as "The Best" ...Perhaps he'll be nominated for his Bronze Age return to "Shazam" as well... hm

I've seen at least a little of every nominees work, but I'd seen Fawcette's the least and his work is decent but not something that makes think..."yeah, he's the best". So Good Bye Fawcette.

For some other folk's edification here are a couple of examples of Hogarth and Eisner that I have handy right now.

Hogarth - stripwork or not his artistry is excellent

spark39.jpg

Eisner - deserves credit for his uniqueness and the whole "pushing the limits" of comic art.

mc10.jpg

I voted Fawcette off as well - I'm guessing he'll be the first to go - not a bad artist - but seems to lack a distinctive edge. Simon will be my next vote - without Kirby pencils his stuff is okay but not great.

Sure there is at least as long a list of equally deserving artists - but probably most everyone who'd make to the final few rounds is there already. While a lot of these guys are personal faves of many board members - they lack the overall popularity of the big names. Truely, these contests are about who/what is the most popular - there will never be real agreement on the "best". I couldn't even tell you who I think is the singular best comic book artist of any age.

I appreciate everyone posting scans of these gentlemen's work, since I am unfamiliar witrh many of them. So much of this work is absolutely eye-popping, and only makes me want to start collecting GA stuff more.

So keep posting the examples, it's a pleasant education :popcorn:

For Jack who wondered, I did vote to get Hogarth out since he shouldn't be in this list at all.

rantrant I don't why I bothered to list a list of other candidates in the other thread (which may have included Whitman) and certainly left out Hogarth and included all the names people are now complaining were left out. No offense but Freek considering you yourself admitted not knowing half of the guys you put on the list, maybe you should have consulted with some one more familiar with GA artists before starting the contest. Now, the winner and potential last rounders are all on the list, so no damage is done. Glad we got started. I had just hoped we could use this also as an education tool about the artists listed. I will admit SHOCK at how many people simply don't know these artists. I invite you to check 'em out. Heck, please challenge me and I'll show you good examples of people's work. Please throw names at me. I would love nothing more than educate about the best GA artists. I know Jack, AStrange and others will pitch in.

kind of saw this coming in the nominations thread, when someone said to just start the thing already...

the list is probably three-quarters complete (Guardineer, anyone? might be my own bias however).. although Scrooge, you can't be too upset. i mean, you have to admit that you are probably on the front end of the bell curve with regards Forumite familiarity with GA artists

For Jack who wondered, I did vote to get Hogarth out since he shouldn't be in this list at all.

rantrant I don't why I bothered to list a list of other candidates in the other thread (which may have included Whitman) and certainly left out Hogarth and included all the names people are now complaining were left out. No offense but Freek considering you yourself admitted not knowing half of the guys you put on the list, maybe you should have consulted with some one more familiar with GA artists before starting the contest. Now, the winner and potential last rounders are all on the list, so no damage is done. Glad we got started. I had just hoped we could use this also as an education tool about the artists listed. I will admit SHOCK at how many people simply don't know these artists. I invite you to check 'em out. Heck, please challenge me and I'll show you good examples of people's work. Please throw names at me. I would love nothing more than educate about the best GA artists. I know Jack, AStrange and others will pitch in.

kind of saw this coming in the nominations thread, when someone said to just start the thing already...

the list is probably three-quarters complete (Guardineer, anyone? might be my own bias however).. although Scrooge, you can't be too upset. i mean, you have to admit that you are probably on the front end of the bell curve with regards Forumite familiarity with GA artists

Hi Sal,

yes, I do recognize that. Same will happen to me when we get into late BA and Copper where my knowledge is the weakest. However, I did admit above that the most important ones and the guys most deserving are on the list so no harm done.

I guess I was most surprised by the level at which some of this luminaries are "forgotten". We have our work cut out to showcase their talents.

Guardineer -

1610652-Star7GuardineerDavidGoliath1937.jpg

1618407-Star7DanHastingsGuardineer1.jpg

42913-FunnyPagesGuardineer.jpg

42950-DangerSeas2.jpg

42988-DH2-3.jpg

43467-CBM79-Guardineer-2.jpg

43818-Mil10-FG3.jpg

43957-BJ2.jpg

44513-S43-M1.jpg

45157-Police8-M2.JPG

I'd better stop now. Yeah, Guardineer is tops. (thumbs u

Not a fan. (shrug)

If I could make a small suggestion, perhaps your energies might be better directed towards posting examples of work by the various artists who are actually IN the poll? :baiting: This might help some of the voters to make a slightly more informed choice and prevent tragic mistakes such as voting against Walt Kelly in the first round. :screwy:

Not a fan. (shrug)

:makepoint:

If I could make a small suggestion, perhaps your energies might be better directed towards posting examples of work by the various artists who are actually IN the poll? :baiting: This might help some of the voters to make a slightly more informed choice and prevent tragic mistakes such as voting against Walt Kelly in the first round. :screwy:

Showcasing Guardineer was easy. I have posted his work in the GA forum pretty extensively lately.

Here's some of Kelly's interior art to appease his Majesty Tim - Better?

45421-FC59-Kelly1.jpg.5c95d6330f023dd6cc097d6796feb100.jpg

45422-FC59-Kelly2.jpg.ab48cebfced12f7ea5d0f9c6eec6b242.jpg

45423-FC87-Kelly1.jpg.679b7e3c54b3ba997f8ba31d473644fe.jpg

45424-FC103-Kelly1.jpg.2b75e75b84f5497aece67af975f7c90c.jpg

45425-FC103-Kelly2.jpg.1983b1e3e6d53c440201fec0e9d59cb4.jpg

45426-FC103-Kelly3.jpg.f65ce66fe5dd8d4bdda071f7375b630f.jpg

45427-FC104-Kelly1.jpg.cdfc71ded9e07d6d4227a4266299f9c9.jpg

45428-FC104-Kelly2.jpg.bfdfc85f5689ae9fac99b072c769ea04.jpg

45429-Animal24-Kelly.jpg.9674f9c8ec7cae492b4d9bfa445066d6.jpg

Flessel - examples:

Tec15.jpg

One of my favorite Flessel covers.

But I can understand how he, Gaurdineer, and others such as Bob Powell or Paul Gustavson might have been left off of the ballot. All of the heavy hitters are present. When it gets down to ten or so names left it is really going to get tough.

I don't want to sink Schomburg's chances but here's a sample of his interior work :devil: -

Thanks Scrooge!

Tongue in cheek? Is that what the little devil graemlin means?

This story is swimming! It's so much harder to draw in a "clean" style. The artist can't screw up the basic drawing, throw 10,000 cross-hatch lines at it and hope no one notices. There's just no place to hide. Mistakes are magnified 10 fold.

So, color me impressed

And that's why I think Guardineer is tops, exactly for the reasons you've mentioned.

I thought the story I posted is lackluster. Compare it to the other stories in that same book (Amazing Adventures # 1) and Schomburg doesn't come out looking so good (See below for the images: 1) Murphy Anderson, 2) Ogden Whitney and 3) Wally Wood). Now, Schomburg is a strong artist and despite the fact that I do tend to side with Tim about how his GA Timely covers might be over-appreciated, a quick look at his figure work on those covers tells us he is a sound artist (Heck, one of my top 5 GA covers is Thrilling 63 by Schomburg). It just doesn't have the pop - wow for me storytelling-wise which means I'll be soon starting to vote for ( = against) him.

45456-AA1-Anderson.jpg.91050f52a1ed410f6aec4a277913f244.jpg

45457-AA1-Whitney.jpg.445252b3b08c041ac67510021fdf477c.jpg

45458-AA1-Wood.jpg.4dbe8b4dc0c17e93404b4e1b97753882.jpg