• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Issues that elude....

97 posts in this topic

I think all of us in what ever our specific collecting pursuits are, at one time or another have hit a stumbling block in completing a run, and more to the point a high grade collection of a run.

There is for all of us these 'leanred in pursuit' lessons about what happened way back when these particular issues where stacked and shelved at the news agents, And we attempt to reconstruct what happened, what caused for this issue to stick out from the rest, in what is the casual comic collector is unobtainable obscurity.

For me personally, immediate spring to mind is Nick Fury #16, A book that on the face of it immediate has you saying 'so what, no big deal here'. And your right...right up until you try and complete a HG run of this title.

Now the NF book is a reprint, and a reprint that was stalled by a year with #15 hitting the stands in Nov 1969, and #16 a year later in 1970. In fact all three square bound reprint issue are all hard to find in high grade as a result. They reprint all the earlier Strange Tales issues from #135 up, and are great reading...but you simply for love or money, cannot get them in high grade.

What other books, that slip through the collecting cracks in HG hunting????

i had a devil of a time finding a nice HG copy of Avengers 177, of all books, about three years ago. looked online everywhere, and while 170-176 & 178-180 were literally everywhere, no one had the conclusion to the Korvac saga even in stock, much less in HG. similarly, looking through lots and lots of longboxes at cons, i would continually come up empty.

luckily i did finally find one, but i always wondered about that book, and whether it was just bad timing on my part, or what. but the book was nowhere to be found online.

of course, now they are all over the place. go figure

Doctor Strange 180-183

For decades the DS run issues have always been regarded as poor collecting fodder, as they were always around in one shape or another.

But just looking at the census these days, and those books are not there in top order in number's at all!

Worth pursuing in the long run.

For me it was a 9.6 copy of Werewolf By Night #15 without CRM/OW pages. Pulled the trigger on a BIN and can breath a sigh of relief. For me it has to be Captain Marvel #25 in 9.6. I haven't been able to find a nice 9.4 in 2 years of looking.

There are virtually no BA issues (outside of price variants) that fit the criteria, but a pair of ASM issues have been tougher than usual for me to find. For some reason, when I buy issue runs or small collections, these two BA issues are rarely there:

ASM 127 and 151

No idea why, but it is interesting that I didn't have a 151 in my original childhood collection either and I had every other issue from 145-178.

I can't find copies of any issue of Fast Willie Jackson over VF, and most I can't get over Fine. I've been looking for four years. It took 22 months just to complete the run (1-7) in any condition.

Archie #50

The last 3 on ebay were for US bidders only. I always seem to either miss the auction or can't bid :mad:

Next time that happens just let a fellow boardie know, I'm sure one of us will bid for you and ship it your way.

For sure. Many of us have and or will be happy to help.

I've only just managed to pick up a relatively high grade (9.2 in this case) copy of X-Men #31...without a mis-wrap.

Just about every copy you see, whether VG+ or NM+, seems to be one of those infamous '2 cent' issues.

Took me three years to find a copy with perfect spine registration. :cloud9:

I can't find copies of any issue of Fast Willie Jackson over VF, and most I can't get over Fine. I've been looking for four years. It took 22 months just to complete the run (1-7) in any condition.

Fibber. Several of your copies are much higher than VF. (worship)

Archie #50

The last 3 on ebay were for US bidders only. I always seem to either miss the auction or can't bid :mad:

While comics.org has this issue (very nice cover!), it looks like some of the Archie collectors on here could enlighten the rest of the world since there seems to be an abundance of empty cover shots for many (most?) of the Archie series on there.