• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Crippin collection.

23 posts in this topic

Here is a link to the Heritage Press release on the Davis Crippen collection.

http://comics.ha.com/common/info/press/default.php?ReleaseID=1188

There is also an article which was published in the summer of 2007 in the Wall Street Journal regarding this collection. Perhaps someone can locate the article online.

There is also an article which was published in the summer of 2007 in the Wall Street Journal regarding this collection. Perhaps someone can locate the article online.

Thank you.

Dennis

hm

This past winter, Tom Crippen was cleaning out his parents' house in Piermont, N.Y., after his father's death a few months earlier. There he came upon thousands of rare, pristine comic books from the 1930s, '40s and '50s -- a collection that stands to net the family several million dollars when it's sold off in a series of auctions beginning this coming week.

Yet, as he discovered later, a chunk of the collection's most coveted titles had mysteriously been sold off years earlier -- attracting, along the way, notice among dealers and collectors. When he found out, "I was surprised and horrified," Tom says.

Tom's father, Davis Crippen, an editor of technical manuals who died at age 75, had begun collecting comics as a child in Washington. In 1939, when he was 9, Mr. Crippen decided that he would try to buy every single comic book that came out. Using allowance money and earnings from his paper route, he bought a steady stream of comics for 10 cents apiece from the local drugstore, according to his wife, Cynthia Crippen and her sons Alex and Tom.

His growing trove spanned a wide range of genres: superhero, romance, teen humor, Western, science fiction, war and Christian. "I kept wondering, 'What the hell are you going to do with them?' but I never asked," says Paul Cree, 77, of Chevy Chase, Md., who knew Mr. Crippen since childhood. "He was mysterious about it and very systematic."

When he went off to college at the University of Michigan, family members say, Mr. Crippen continued with his collecting, sending comic books, wrapped in brown paper, to his parents' house. He even had his mother buy new issues for him while he went to graduate school in London. His collecting wound down in the early 1950s, when he was drafted into the Army.

All the books were kept in his parents' spacious basement, which was both cool and dry -- optimum storage conditions. Tom and his brother, Alex, an executive producer at CNBC, would read some of the titles when visiting their grandparents. When the boys' grandparents' house was sold in the 1970s, the comics were moved to their parent's home in Piermont, where they remained in boxes in the garage and basement.

Tom, a 44-year-old freelance copy editor in Montreal, set out to catalog this trove of comic books, some 11,000 in all, a task that took four months. Because most of the comics were bought to be collected, and were stored for years under optimum conditions, they still had brightly colored illustrations, crease-free pages and only small amounts of mold stains, called "foxing," on the edges.

On the inside front page of many of the books there was also a puzzling code, written in pencil in Davis Crippen's handwriting, consisting of a series of numbers and letters, such as "7822-D-740," which appeared on Tracy #8, published by Dell. Additionally, some of the books bore a hand-written "D" on the front cover that apparently was put there by the distributor.

When Lon Allen, a comic-book expert from Heritage Auction Galleries of Dallas, came to the house to check out the collection, he instantly recognized the handwritten code. "Hey, wait a minute -- this is the 'D' collection," he recalls saying. "It was unmistakable."

It turns out that about 15 years earlier, about 1,000 to 2,000 comic books bearing the same distinct penciled code in the same hand-writing had entered the marketplace, seemingly unbeknownst to the Crippen heirs. The "D collection" had obtained a following among collectors of "pedigree" comics -- top-condition books amassed by a single, original collector, straight off the newsstand.

The interest in pedigreed books comes as vintage comic-book collecting has become big business. Heritage in January sold a 1940 DC Comics'"Flash #1" book for $273,125, an auction record. The auction house began comic sales only in late 2001, but the business now accounts for some $18 million in average annual sales.

Now, comic-book collectors and hobby message boards are buzzing with news that the rest of the D books have emerged. Russell Moore, a 35- year-old Minneapolis contractor and avid comic-book collector, says that he was "totally surprised" that such a big stash of books was found. "People have been searching out old comics for so long, so it's amazing that such a huge amount of them were sitting undiscovered," says Mr. Moore, who is particularly excited about some D editions that feature Batman, pre-Robin.

But how hundreds of the books ended up on the market in the early 1990s remained a mystery. "I felt gut-punched," says Tom Crippen, when the auction company told him that many of his father's books had previously been sold. Although nobody knows the precise value of the original D books when they hit the market, they are estimated to be worth at least $1 million at today's prices. "How would you feel if your family's property turned out to have gone missing a few years ago and you had no idea? Or that millions of dollars belonging to your family had gone for a walk?"

The missing comics happened to be some of the collection's very best, including early Superman, Batman and other big-name super hero books. Since Davis Crippen did not store his books in any discernible order, whoever brought the books to market had to have the time and knowledge to ferret out some of the highest-quality books.

Some collectors have speculated that Davis Crippen himself sold the comics and pocketed the income, without telling the rest of the family. Mrs. Crippen and her two sons say it's highly unlikely he sold or gave away the books. For one thing, Mr. Crippen was a hoarder, amassing piles of books, record albums, mugs and even opera programs with ticket stubs stapled to them. "He held onto everything and anything," says Mrs. Crippen. The Crippens also went through Davis's old tax returns and didn't see any sudden influx of income.

Several New York comic-book dealers remember buying the books. Richard Muchin, says that he purchased a number of high-quality D books from a young man who brought small quantities of them over the course of several months. "I did not suspect theft, only because he kept coming back," says Mr. Muchin, who says he doesn't recall the seller's name. Typically, he says, "thieves steal something and they dump it."

Stephen Fishler, owner of Metropolis Collectibles, a big New York dealer, recalls buying many of the D books about 15 years ago. Mr. Fishler says that a young man, probably in his early 30s, came to his office offering to sell him stacks of high-quality comic books, many bearing the unique code. The seller said he was related, by marriage, to the original owner of the books, says Mr. Fishler, who added that the man came back repeatedly for about a year, each time bringing fresh piles of comics.

"He clearly was able to go back many times and get books," says Mr. Fishler. "I get a sense if something's questionable," he adds, but he had no reason to doubt the man's story, so he bought the books. Mr. Fishler recently told Alex Crippen the seller's name: Eric Kechejian.

Separately, the Crippen family had begun to suspect that one or both of a pair of young contractors might have sold the comics when Davis and Cynthia Crippen hired them to do extensive home renovations that lasted for many months in 1991. Anyone working on the house would have had plenty of time alone with the comics since the couple worked away from home. One of the workmen was particularly curious about antiques. The other contractor's name: Eric Kechejian.

Contacted by a reporter at his home, Mr. Kechejian, who still lives in the area, confirmed that he had restored the house, but he denied having had anything to do with the comics. "I don't think we touched anything as far as comics," he said. "I've had nothing to do with this."

Yet even if the comics were taken without permission, the family's legal options may be limited: In New York, the criminal statute of limitations for theft of over $1,000 is generally five years from the time of a theft, while the civil statute of limitations to sue for the recovery of stolen property is three years, says Piermont lawyer Marjorie Smith, a former law professor and Mrs. Crippen's attorney. However, the civil statute of limitations might not apply if the theft was discovered years after the fact, adds Ms. Smith.

The Crippen family for now has decided not to pursue the matter of the earlier sales.

"What's done is done," says Mrs. Crippen. Still, she adds, "It is distressing."

Starting this Thursday the much-larger remainder of the collection will be auctioned by Heritage in Dallas. The collection is expected to bring in some $2.5 million, about three times the current value of the Piermont house in which the comics were stored. One highlight of the trove, according to many collectors, is a rare "Suspense #3," which has lurid cover art depicting hooded Nazis attacking a bound woman. It could fetch between $35,000 and $50,000, collectors say.

As for the code itself, nobody is quite sure what it means. The auction house and other comic experts think that the first series of numbers represent the total number of books that Mr. Crippen had collected thus far, the next set of letters stands for the book's publisher, and the third set of numbers stands for the number of books Mr. Crippen had collected from that particular publisher. But that solution doesn't work consistently for all the books. "It's still a cipher," says Ed Jaster, vice president of Heritage.

In my very meager legal knowledge, I think it depends on the jurisdiction. In some cases the statute of limitations doesn't start until the theft is discovered rather than starting when the theft occurs.

Wow, seems pretty cut and dry that this Eric guy deserves a couple of cross checks to the face and maybe a slash or two across the forearms for good measure. I don't think i'd be able to let this one go had somebody ripped of my family. Yes, i'm assuming this guy stole the books.

And there's the danger in the DIY approach to law and order. The way I read the article, it's more likely that the guy interested in antiques was not Eric. Rather, the person fencing the stolen books was the interested guy and used his buddy's name when he sold the books.

"One of the workmen was particularly curious about antiques. The other contractor's name: Eric Kechejian."

Maybe they did it together, who knows? I am a little surprised that the family wouldn't bring a civil action against the men considering the $1M value of the books. It's possible that a court could rule that the statute of limitations did not start to run until the discovery of the crime. Tough case but might be worth a shot.

And there's the danger in the DIY approach to law and order. The way I read the article, it's more likely that the guy interested in antiques was not Eric. Rather, the person fencing the stolen books was the interested guy and used his buddy's name when he sold the books.

"One of the workmen was particularly curious about antiques. The other contractor's name: Eric Kechejian."

Maybe they did it together, who knows? I am a little surprised that the family wouldn't bring a civil action against the men considering the $1M value of the books. It's possible that a court could rule that the statute of limitations did not start to run until the discovery of the crime. Tough case but might be worth a shot.

Of course, with the father having passed away, they could always say they got them from him in a legitimate manner, if any action were to be brought against them.

:gossip:Embarrassing story:

My friends and I were buying Crippen books published by DC. When we would talk on the phone, we would say “I got a killer copy of Batman #25 from that D collection” (Which I did from Ritchie Muchin. We did the deal, I came back the next day to pay him and he had erased the D from the cover which left an erasure mark on the cover :frustrated:).

Because there was a D on the cover, we went around calling them D copies. Not knowing that the Timely had A’s on them, the Fiction House had W’s on the cover and so on. We then saw the term D COPY on the Pacific Comic Exchange, I guess because I talked a lot and did quite a bit of business with Robert, he used the term, then others followed.

If we knew then that our term "D copy" would stick to a pedigree collection, we would have thought of something much better to call it doh!:blush: