• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PLEASE - Need some help from the board veterans!

41 posts in this topic

Yeah..Take a 12 gauge to your head and swallow the barrel.

Wow, Matt. I can see why you're so popular on this board. I asked for some information - nothing more. I've never gotten "warning" emails before and when dealing with a several-thousand dollar book it spooked me. While I haven't been on these boards long, I do trust and value the experiences of the members and all I asked for was IF it was you. It's not my fault there seem to be a long list of people who contributed to that thread with some not-so-flattering information. Yeah, you screwed up, and apparently you're working harder now to keep your slate clean. Bravo. But chill, guy, and you might not have so many enemies.

Anyway, for those with graemlins overdosing on popcorn here's the deal. The seller (Rob) did return my phone call and seemed to be an ok guy. Was obviously pissed about the email and said this book has given him a lot of grief. But here's his take:

Apparantly Matt (Notch-top) originally sold the book to a guy in another country - Canada is what Rob thought - and it got lost in the mail. This caused a lot of grief between Matt and the original buyer as the buyer had requested no insurance. Anyway, I guess the book eventually got found and returned to Matt and Matt refunded the guy his money. Matt put the book up on eBay again and it was bought by Rob (the guy I won the auction from). When Rob put it up on eBay, the guy from Canada - his name was Patrick - started emailing Rob accusing him of being Notch-top, saying the book doesn't exist, etc. Rob speculates that this same guy Patrick was probably also emailing bidders in the auction including the bidder who emailed me. While this is all speculation, the story does seem to add up.

The seller said he'd consider escrow because of this mess - I'm looking into it to see how it works - but he seemed pretty legit from the phone call.

End of story. Nothing like some good ol' CGC board drama...

Oh ..Trust me I threw popularity out the window years ago on this witchhunt board.

Sounds to me you got a good deal on a book because of BS spread by those that do not have a clue. If I was the seller I would consider relisting the book as it was clearly tampered with by these spam e-mails.

I just get so sick of this [!@#%^&^]...You take a spam e-mail from a zero feedback bidder and turn it into a thread.

Seems to me if you use Ebay, and Paypal your pretty well covered on your end. Maybe before you started spreading the [!@#%^&^] you should have contacted the seller first..

Perhaps I should start spamming all the active sellers bidders and auction winners on this forum with e-mails about their indiscretions that I know of or believe in my imagination.

Oh ..Trust me I threw popularity out the window years ago on this witchhunt board.

Sounds to me you got a good deal on a book because of BS spread by those that do not have a clue. If I was the seller I would consider relisting the book as it was clearly tampered with by these spam e-mails.

I just get so sick of this [!@#%^&^]...You take a spam e-mail from a zero feedback bidder and turn it into a thread.

Seems to me if you use Ebay, and Paypal your pretty well covered on your end. Maybe before you started spreading the [!@#%^&^] you should have contacted the seller first..

Perhaps I should start spamming all the active sellers bidders and auction winners on this forum with e-mails about their indiscretions that I know of or believe in my imagination.

The guy just asked a question. Give him a break.

I think he had a reason to have a little caution before sending someone a few grand over the internet.

[quote}The guy just asked a question. Give him a break.

I think he had a reason to have a little caution before sending someone a few grand over the internet.

But so does someone who is getting slagged off by association. By all means be cautious.....I for one was saved a ton of money by a forum member about a shonky seller but there is no proof here about a guy who has some of the best books around. For every one with a beef about Matt there is somebody who had a seamless deal.

Don't tell me supa or anybody else wouldn't be aggressive on these boards if they were being accused.

My POINT was that the buyer should have contacted the seller and this entire thread was a waste of time, and vivid imaginations filled with BS conspiracy theories....

A little communication goes a very long way.....

If everyone asked a "question" about every spam e-mail they received this forum would be full with BS....Oh wait I guess it is already

On the lighter side , Bill tooks this to PM's very courteously and we both agree that we acted in haste. He should have contacted the seller first and I should have kept my temper under control, but sometimes emotions take all of us over.

Okay??? 893blahblah.gif

Mushroom,

I wasn't accusing anyone - the emailer was. All I wanted to know is if anyone could substantiate the email.

And I did try to contact the seller - he wasn't home. I've bought enough high-dollar books to know general protocol, but I had never received a spam email like this, my adrenaline was pumping, I was pressed for time, so I went to the boards. In retrospect, even I think I was too hasty in posting as I should have waited for a return call from the seller. While I didn't accuse Matt of a thing, I can totally understand how even seeing an email with gibberish about him could get the temper going, especially since everything could have been resolved with a wee bit more patience on my end. We exchanged several PMs and I must say his off-the-board personality was courteous, professional, and nothing like his diatribes in this thread. So while not the most exciting ending, definitely a happy one grin.gif