• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Movies of Comics or Comics of Movies?

15 posts in this topic

Is it just me or are comics trying to look just like their movie creations? The X-Men all wear those thick leather outfits that are probably more realistic, but just not very comic book friendly. Daredevil now look remarkably like Ben Affleck as well. It seems to me that the original should not conform to the movie interpretation.

Agreed. The comics have stood the test of time and the movies will be forgotten. DC still denies that Lois and Clark did not get married because of the TV show, but still...

About comic book movie adaptions: Do you notice that when the adaptions try to copy the costumes, it comes off as fake? The example I give is Batman. While the costume in live action captured the comic, the adaption trying to copy the costume did not. The normal comic version looks more like the movie costume.

And, when movies try to copy the comics, it looks fake. The Batman short "Dead End" copied Alex Ross's Batman to a T, but all I could think was Adam West. It looked good, had a well built actor, but I just couldn't get past the costume.

Is it just me or are comics trying to look just like their movie creations? The X-Men all wear those thick leather outfits that are probably more realistic, but just not very comic book friendly. Daredevil now look remarkably like Ben Affleck as well. It seems to me that the original should not conform to the movie interpretation.

Its all about $$$ and Marvel is currently cashing in on its movie successes every way it can.

Its all about $$$ and Marvel is currently cashing in on its movie successes every way it can.

Or at least they think that they are. I doubt it has any impact on drawing new readers, and just ticks off the old ones.

Or at least they think that they are. I doubt it has any impact on drawing new readers, and just ticks off the old ones.

Exactly. I really wonder if Marvel actually thinks it is helping them. Of course it really ticks me off when new "fresh" writers and artists screw up classic titles. Like the current X-Men, or the Superman Red/Blue of the nineties or so. Then they let classic heroes get killed in the name of progress. I think I will stick with Bronze Age books for stories... sign-rantpost.gif

I think I will stick with Bronze Age books for stories... sign-rantpost.gif

Now you're making sense!!! Join the club and buy NM Bronze classics for less than the sticker price of a new comic.

Don't you mean 9.2 and up? foreheadslap.gif But really, those stories are much better, the art is dramatically better and there is a classic feel to them that I don't get with these new computer generated books. thumbsup2.gif

I never really read Bronze Age comics (before my time) what would be a good series to get reader copies of and enjoy?

Eric

I like X-Men. Those are the best stories that they have ever had. EVER! I also like ASM and Daredevil. I was never much of a DC fan but my first comic ever was an old Flash and I thought it was so cool...

Don't you mean 9.2 and up? foreheadslap.gif But really, those stories are much better, the art is dramatically better and there is a classic feel to them that I don't get with these new computer generated books. thumbsup2.gif

My favorite Bronze issues are a bit before my time, but I find the 20-centers and early into the 25-cent era to be some of the best stories ever found in a Marvel comic. The timing was right for change, and the new wave of writers hit the scene and started really taking advantage of the character's potential. You can almost feel the "writing for the love of comics" in every page, as these guys were definitely not in it for the money or fame.

The Amazing Spider-man run of 121-150 is one of my faves, but Captain Marvel 25-33 and Strange Tales 178-181/Warlock 9-15 are also prime. Early Defenders are also quite good (especially the Avengers-Defenders war), as are the FF issues, with special attention to the Surfer/Galactus story in FF 120-123. I also love the Captain America "Secret Empire" storyline, complete with X-Men, in 172-175, and the Cap Retires/Nomad story in CA 176-183 is a real treat.

DC is not quite as prolific, but the Spectre Adventure Comics run is amazing. The Manhunter stories in Detective are also killer, and if you ever get a chance, grab the TPB and see where Frank Miller got his influence and where Marvel scammed a large portion of Wolverine.

My favorite Bronze issues are a bit before my time, but I find the 20-centers and early into the 25-cent era to be some of the best stories ever found in a Marvel comic. The timing was right for change, and the new wave of writers hit the scene and started really taking advantage of the character's potential. You can almost feel the "writing for the love of comics" in every page, as these guys were definitely not in it for the money or fame.

The Amazing Spider-man run of 121-150 is one of my faves, but Captain Marvel 25-33 and Strange Tales 178-181/Warlock 9-15 are also prime. Early Defenders are also quite good (especially the Avengers-Defenders war), as are the FF issues, with special attention to the Surfer/Galactus story in FF 120-123. I also love the Captain America "Secret Empire" storyline, complete with X-Men, in 172-175, and the Cap Retires/Nomad story in CA 176-183 is a real treat.

DC is not quite as prolific, but the Spectre Adventure Comics run is amazing. The Manhunter stories in Detective are also killer, and if you ever get a chance, grab the TPB and see where Frank Miller got his influence and where Marvel scammed a large portion of Wolverine.

Yes, I agree that was a time of just fantastic reading. Really good stories and art done with a lot of passion.