• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game: GOLDEN AGE BEST ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: Round 2

GOLDEN AGE BEST ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: Round 2  

102 members have voted

1. 1. GOLDEN AGE BEST ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: Round 2

113 posts in this topic

We may have a little more time to vote this round. Seems Cap Ffreak has found himself embroiled in some board issue http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1646534&page=1&nt=88&fpart=82

:acclaim: Congratulations Angelo.

We all reaaaalllllyyyyy appreciate your dedication to this thread and your taking over the role of Master Voting Pollster, our own MVP for this series. We are looking forward to your exhibiting true heart in your running this contest, particularly with the use of correct listing and timing of these polls. We'll also appreciate your publicly thrashing all those who dare vote Walt Kelly early in this contest. :sumo:

Now, get moving, Mr. MVP. :headbang:

I'm looking forward to the phrase "Dell Zombies" being bandied about.

Are you going to sneak in the missing potential finalists like Wood?

Jack

I think Scrooge was being a little comical with his post, Jack. Let's wait till the weekend's over and see if Cap comes around. If not, then we'll go from there. I don't think it's right to commandeer someone else's poll until we know what's going on. That being said, Wood will be put in if I have anything to say about it :grin:

Angelo

I'll still argue that Moldoff was a top ten Golden Age (pre-1948) artist. His work in some of those DC titles stands out like a fist-sized diamond in a bag of coal.

I think you are talking about YOUR personal preferences. I don't really know anyone else who would consider Moldoff top 10. Also, Joe Kuberts late golden age art is extremely good and very popular.

Well, gosh, yeah, I'm talking about MY personal preferences. My opinion is the only one I feel qualified to present. You, apparently, are comfortable speaking for everyone else. Swell gig. How do you get that job? Does omniscience come with that, or is it a prerequisite?

As much as I avoid smileyfaces:

:golfclap:

(what the heck does golfclap mean?)

Sorry, Dale, but accusing someone of expressing their personal preferences as if it's something negative on a poll like this is just plain bizarre!

I realize that a thread like this has no value, other than to encourage education and debate. ....Adam Strange, Ciorac and Mr Bedrock can vouch for the fact that I'm not Gomer Pyle with a box of funnybooks...

I love the image! Go-o-o-leeee, Sarge!

...Moldoff's, or Murphy Anderson's, Bernard Baily's or Jack Burnley's for that matter.

Yeah, where are Moldoff (Hawkman covers alone qualify him for top 20) and Baily?

OK, maybe neither squeaks into a top 30. (How many did we start with?)

Jack

I think Scrooge was being a little comical with his post

Look at me closely. I'm dead serious :sumo:

We were promised a new round every 48 hours. The last one lasted ... what 3 hours ... and it ended well over 3 days ago. It's time for some management change here. I voted my proxy to (s)elect you. Run with it. And right now!!

I'm looking forward to the phrase "Dell Zombies" being bandied about.

Are you going to sneak in the missing potential finalists like Wood?

Jack

I think Scrooge was being a little comical with his post, Jack. Let's wait till the weekend's over and see if Cap comes around. If not, then we'll go from there. I don't think it's right to commandeer someone else's poll until we know what's going on. That being said, Wood will be put in if I have anything to say about it :grin:

Heavens to Murgatroid. Comical comments on a comic-book forum? Hell in a handbasket, I tell you.

But it wouldn't be so bad if Wood and Moldoff showed up.

Jack

Dell Zombie :headbang:

It seems to me to make the most sense for Scrooge to run it. That way, we can have scans of everybody's work. Get hopping Michael :baiting:

Angelo runs, I post scans. Works better for me that way (shrug)

Who next would you guys want to see work from? ...

It seems to me to make the most sense for Scrooge to run it. That way, we can have scans of everybody's work. Get hopping Michael :baiting:

(thumbs u

Who next would you guys want to see work from? ...

On or off "the list"?

Jack

It is all of the above. You should consider all of it.

I think that is a generally unfair statement about Wally Wood. You can make that very same claim about just about every artist who has ever worked. Yes, all have good and bad work(especially Kirby). You judge it on the whole body though.

Besides most people have never read Dorothy Lamour, but almost all have read the classic Wally Wood ECs, and some of his other better work.

I didn't dismiss Moldoff. I gave him an honorable mention. I just don't consider him one of the top 25 artists of the Golden Age. He is probably in the next 5. Hey, you can't include everyone.

I'm not trying to be unfair to Wood. I think, though, if you are considering everything you are considering, then his bad work should be a strike against. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan. I own originals by him. Still, a body of work includes the good and bad.

What is the cut-off point, since we're talking about Golden Age artists? Somebody like Kubert, whose definitive work really came in the Silver Age might be better suited for that island.

If you're truly talking Golden Age, then the EC artists belong on a different island, too, depending on how you define the age.

I'll still argue that Moldoff was a top ten Golden Age (pre-1948) artist. His work in some of those DC titles stands out like a fist-sized diamond in a bag of coal.

I think you are talking about YOUR personal preferences. I don't really know anyone else who would consider Moldoff top 10. Also, Joe Kuberts late golden age art is extremely good and very popular.

Well, gosh, yeah, I'm talking about MY personal preferences. My opinion is the only one I feel qualified to present. You, apparently, are comfortable speaking for everyone else. Swell gig. How do you get that job? Does omniscience come with that, or is it a prerequisite?

I realize that a thread like this has no value, other than to encourage education and debate. There is no prize at the end, no place in artist heaven for the winner. With that in mind, all any of us have to offer is our knowledge and opinions. Mine has no less value than yours. Nor has it any more value. Adam Strange, Ciorac and Mr Bedrock can vouch for the fact that I'm not Gomer Pyle with a box of funnybooks, but rather am mildly qualified to offer an educated opinion. An opinion. Nothing more.

I love Kubert's work, but his Golden Age work is hardly better or more significant than Moldoff's, or Murphy Anderson's, Bernard Baily's or Jack Burnley's for that matter.

If historical significance does play a part than there are artists may deserve consideration over Joe Kubert, Al Williamson, Alex Toth, Jack Kamen and perhaps others on your list.

Look, I am not trying to start a contest with you. But I think it is a relatively well known and accepted fact that Wally Wood was a better artist than Moldoff, as were most on the list above. Yes, maybe Moldoff was better than many of the early GA artists, but the majority of Moldoff work was not anything special. If you want to compare the quantity of Woods work good vs bad, I think he would compare well to a similar comparison of Moldoffs work.

And no I am not trying to speak for anyone else other than me. I have been doing conventions for years and years and I have people ask for Wally Wood books almost every show. I have yet to have anyone ask for Moldoff art, and in fact the Flashes and All Stars most people want are the later stuff where the art is "better".

Look, I am not trying to start a contest with you. But I think it is a relatively well known and accepted fact that Wally Wood was a better artist than Moldoff, as were most on the list above. Yes, maybe Moldoff was better than many of the early GA artists, but the majority of Moldoff work was not anything special. If you want to compare the quantity of Woods work good vs bad, I think he would compare well to a similar comparison of Moldoffs work.

And no I am not trying to speak for anyone else other than me. I have been doing conventions for years and years and I have people ask for Wally Wood books almost every show. I have yet to have anyone ask for Moldoff art, and in fact the Flashes and All Stars most people want are the later stuff where the art is "better".

Yeah, I'm not after a contest either. Healthy debate, though, I can go for. That's the whole purpose of something like this; otherwise we just jump to the end and give the title to Jack Kirby or Will Eisner.

I'm sure a good deal (probably a majority) of people prefer Wood to Moldoff. When I was a more active collector, there were more Wood books than Moldoff books on my short list. Now, if I were given a choice between a primo original Wood page, and a nice early Moldoff Hawkman page, I would have a hard time making that call. Look at the samples Scrooge posted--that's swell stuff.

That said, I don't think anything as subjective as who the better artist is can ever be described as a "fact." If history and impact on the medium have weight as to who gets on the list, then Moldoff would be there, and Wood would have a tougher time making the cut (and Toth, Heath, Williamson --all artists I really like and admire-- don't make it at all).

As far as who sells, yeah, I've probably sold ten times as many Wood comics as Moldoff GA comics. Just because something sells better or is more popular doesn't mean it IS better. I don't have to go through a million examples of this, but lots of people buy Madonna and Toby Keith CDs. (Apologies if you're one of them.)