• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game: GOLDEN AGE BEST ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: Round 2

GOLDEN AGE BEST ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: Round 2  

102 members have voted

1. 1. GOLDEN AGE BEST ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: Round 2

113 posts in this topic

Well the highly unknown Gene Fawcette got the heave-ho last tround while we learned a lot about some unheard of GA Artists, most likely our votes will now be more educated. Once again:

Per usual, the artist with the most votes will be voted off each round.

REMEMBER:

Vote for who goes, NOT who stays

Different this time: There will be a set time to vote. It will be around 48 hours.

To limit the amount of person_without_enough_empathying, no one can see the results until then. After that, let the person_without_enough_empathying (about DC shills) begin! Poll will end at 1:00 AM Board Time on October 4th.

Voted for Hogarth., Never really liked how he drew the human anatomy.

doh!

lol Burne Hogarth was probably one of the greatest art teachers/authors. Here are some books he authored on art and anatomy

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/102-2279314-2734528?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=burne+hogarth&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

lol as long as it wasnt Frazetta. As long as Frazetta is top 10 I am ok. Raboy and Fine are the 2 talents here but I also like Everett. Also a big fan of Jack Cole altho not the most realistic but very imaginative and creative

First impressions of Raboy from the last thread...his figures do look kind of posed, and overall I found the interior work kind of boring and repetitive. Figures are all the same size, panels the same size, little detail in the background.

Here's a question for those who know: did all these guys ink their own work?

doh!

lol Burne Hogarth was probably one of the greatest art teachers/authors. Here are some books he authored on art and anatomy

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/102-2279314-2734528?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=burne+hogarth&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

As I stated in the previous thread, I'm voting against Hogarth only because he really didn't draw any art for comic books.

I've heard some criticisms of his art before, but never of his rendition of human anatomy! doh!

doh!

As I stated in the previous thread, I'm voting against Hogarth only because he really didn't draw any art for comic books.

I've heard some criticisms of his art before, but never of his rendition of human anatomy! doh!

That's myy opinion. I have read 2 of his art books and have created this opinion after doing so.

I'm thinking either Dan DeCarlo(just doesn't stand out amonst all the other greats)

or Joe Simon(Historical, yes...great? hm )

If either one of these is your favorite then give me an another example of why they should stay.

Also, on my fav list Hogarth would last at least into the middle rounds. :cloud9:

Hogarth Tarzan Rules :headbang:

doh! Without any sort of qualifiers or parameters, this is the most inane version of this poll yet. All of these guys are giants; none are "better" than another. At least with the most important BA book poll some sort of rationale was possible, albeit a subjective one. This is just a battle of apples and oranges, chocolate vs. vanilla. I'm a sap, I just can't say any of these guys are more or less deserving of accolades.

doh! Without any sort of qualifiers or parameters, this is the most inane version of this poll yet. All of these guys are giants; none are "better" than another. At least with the most important BA book poll some sort of rationale was possible, albeit a subjective one. This is just a battle of apples and oranges, chocolate vs. vanilla. I'm a sap, I just can't say any of these guys are more or less deserving of accolades.
I agree 100% :sumo:

You are a sap! :baiting::jokealert:

doh!

That's myy opinion. I have read 2 of his art books and have created this opinion after doing so.

Not laughing at you. Just found your statement a little amusing :foryou:

I agree 100% :sumo:

You are a sap! :baiting::jokealert:

lol

Is there anyway to speed this process up a bit? At the current rate, it's going to be over three months before this "series" ends (25 artists X 4 days per poll = 100 days). Hell, even if you gave two days for each it's almost two months. I'd suggest in the future, it's a 5 at a time out until 10 or so is reached. At the current rate, I could just wait until Thanksgiving before the serious voting starts...

Jim

I'm thinking either Dan DeCarlo(just doesn't stand out amonst all the other greats)

or Joe Simon(Historical, yes...great? hm )

If either one of these is your favorite then give me an another example of why they should stay.

I'll do the opposite by agreeing with your comment about Joe Simon. Creative, yes, but not a great artist on the level of most of the others on the list.

This cover is attributed to solo Simon on GCD. Seems right to me, although who knows whether Kirby may have assisted. It doesn't do much for me.

Jack

45630-realclue.jpg

First impressions of Raboy from the last thread...his figures do look kind of posed, and overall I found the interior work kind of boring and repetitive. Figures are all the same size, panels the same size, little detail in the background.

Raboy was very, very good but slow for a comic book artist so you'll definitely see repetition in his poses, sometimes due to "cut and paste" from old stories to create new ones.

Here's a question for those who know: did all these guys ink their own work?

Williamson, Simon, Kirby, and Robinson quite frequently had guest inkers. Eisner as well for his post-WWII Spirit work. Fine did some inking for Eisner and there are a number of cases where Eisner designed a cover that was then finished by Fine.

Is there anyway to speed this process up a bit? At the current rate, it's going to be over three months before this "series" ends (25 artists X 4 days per poll = 100 days). Hell, even if you gave two days for each it's almost two months. I'd suggest in the future, it's a 5 at a time out until 10 or so is reached. At the current rate, I could just wait until Thanksgiving before the serious voting starts...

Jim

What else do you have to do? Not like you aren't on the boards every single day anyway....... I would bet you will be on here Thanksgiving night after loading up all day..

What else do you have to do? Not like you aren't on the boards every single day anyway....... I would bet you will be on here Thanksgiving night after loading up all day..

Nah, I take a break every now and again. This place gets awful boring after awhile. How some can be on here everyday, ALL day, now that I really can't fathom...

Jim