• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So how much will a CGG 9.8 ASM 121 sell for?

43 posts in this topic

I truly believe the grading company that gave this comic a 9.8 is going to get in the way of ultra-hi-dollars...compared to what it would have received if it were CGC'd @ 9.8 anyway. And only because it's not a CGC grade.

It will come down to how much the potential bidders respect the grade.

I don't know, but I wouldn't rate it a 9.8 with that off center cover.

Uhm, the whole cover is showing, there's no over/under wrap, hell, even Romita's name is fully visible along the spine... what is so "dramatically" off-center about it?

Amazing Spider-Man #121 CGC 9.8 sold for $6600 and the seller says his reserve is half that. Amazing Spider-Man #121 CGC 9.6 sold recently for around $1250. Some people have said that CGG was very strict (even stricter? than CGC). The book is not perfectly centered but the centering is not bad in my opinion. The book would have to grade CGC 9.8 to make it worth it for the buyer (would the buyer take a chance and have it regraded?). It will be interesting to see the final price.

Speaking from limited personal experience CGG is NOT stricter than CGC. I'd be surprised if anyone ponies up $3K for a CGG book.

Yup. That's exactly the comment I was going to make. If he wants serious money for this, it's gonna have to be CGC'd. Don't think the big spenders are ready to jump with this grading company...not yet anyway.

Speaking from limited personal experience CGG is NOT stricter than CGC. I'd be surprised if anyone ponies up $3K for a CGG book.

Yup. That's exactly the comment I was going to make. If he wants serious money for this, it's gonna have to be CGC'd. Don't think the big spenders are ready to jump with this grading company...not yet anyway.

I contributed to their poor restoration check rep with my Avengers 4 thread a while back. Also, I am wary of what appears to be an extremely close relationship with this dealer and the company. What is it notated that this copy is the "rare" Mark Jeweller's copy? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What is it notated that this copy is the "rare" Mark Jeweller's copy?
confused.gif

Yeah, I don't quite get the comment either, greggy. Care to explain? You figure there's something wrong with that comment?

OK...it actually says "Rare Mark Jewelers insert"! sumo.gif

I don't know, but I wouldn't rate it a 9.8 with that off center cover.

Uhm, the whole cover is showing, there's no over/under wrap, hell, even Romita's name is fully visible along the spine... what is so "dramatically" off-center about it?

If you look at the Marvel Comics line, it is not parallel with the top edge of the comic book, indicating a slightly skewered cover. Examining the back cover, you see a yellow line bleeding through indicating again the cover is not center. This goes back to the addage"by the book, not the label." I would not pay 9.8 dollars for this issue, though you may feel differently.