• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Counterfeit Cerebus #1 signs

5 posts in this topic

I recall that somebody on this forum once mentioned that it was possible to tell the counterfeit Cerebus by looking at the black ink band on the back cover (maybe inside back cover). Can anyone enlighten me on this? I know of the other sign, namely, the matte inside cover finish, but what are the others?

Sometimes there are shadow lines on the interior pages due to the reproduction on the counterfeit. Original has crisper b/w printing. Counterfeits are generally vfnm. Authentic copies are vg to fn- on eBay due to oversize comic being mangled during distribution.

Dave Sim said the red dot pattern on the front cover over the white patch was also a sign of a counterfeit. But I can't tell using that method. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I found this on the web...

1) Look for the inside cover. It should look flat instead of glossy like the outside cover. When Dave Sim first put out this book, he couldn't afford to make both sides of the cover glossy. The counterfeiters missed this and produced a higher quality comic.

2) Silver Staples are in the counterfeit. The real Cerebus #1 has bronze staples.

3) The printing quality is bad on the original Cerebus. The counterfeiters made a better print quality in their books. This was probably because the value of the comic was rising very quickly, and a crappily put-together book would have made some unknowledgable store owners think the crappy Cerebus #1 was the counterfeit.

Sometimes there are shadow lines on the interior pages due to the reproduction on the counterfeit. Original has crisper b/w printing. Counterfeits are generally vfnm. Authentic copies are vg to fn- on eBay due to oversize comic being mangled during distribution.

Dave Sim said the red dot pattern on the front cover over the white patch was also a sign of a counterfeit. But I can't tell using that method. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Anyone got a counterfeit and original to show the white patch area - perhaps they are different sizes?