• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Discovering comics: An Origin Story (1 in 10 Rags Morales variant)

9 posts in this topic

Because it is 1:30am, because I am fully cafeinated, and because I do not feel like studying for the midterm I have in 6 hours or so, I thought it would be fun to try and get to know some of you, and let you know a little about myself.

Where else to start than how I discovered comics? Now, I'm only 23 (thanks again for the happy birthday thread!), so this story isn't nearly as cool or interesting as some. But, it's my story.

Growing up, I don't think I was ever exposed to comics. I did however develop a love of reading, thanks to my mother. My earliest memories of a comic come from my cousin. I suppose I was around 8 or 9 years old, and he had this collection of Spidey stories, something akin to an 80 page giant reprinting old stories. I remember we'd sit up well into the night, with our flashlights, reading the story. I've asked him about the book recently and he has no idea where it is.

Flash forward 3 or 4 years. My grandmother buys me a set of comics from Big Lots I think, it's just a bunch of random Valiant comics. Now, I'm intrigued by these, because I discover some scandalous art (to me anyway, as a 13 year old) and curse words. CURSE WORDS! In comics! But, due to the random assortment of them, I couldn't really follow a story. I did realize that they shared the same universe, though. I eventually put them away somewhere, maybe they were thrown out.

Then comes 1999, when the X-men movie was being hyped. I had watched the cartoon as a kid and loved it. I was in Long Beach, CA on a school trip when I was 15, and happend to stumble into a comic store where I saw Jim Lee and Claremont's X-men #1. Now, I was naive enough to believe I had found the first X-men comic published ever. I quickly bought it and read it, doing my best to keep it in nice shape. Already a collector at heart. :)

Upon returning home, I began hanging out with a friend who's about 10 years older than me. One day he asked if I would mind helping he and his wife move from their old place into a new house. As I entered one of the room, my jaw dropped. Nothing. But. Comic. Books. He owns about 5500 to 6000 comics, though he doesn't collect anymore. Mostly silver age marvel, he's a huge ASM fan. I literally spent hours looking through them, just admiring them. Realizing that I was in love, he GAVE me a copy of Frank Miller's Wolverine #1. Well, I was hooked. I started reading comics for a year or so, and after that, started collecting.

I think the funniest thing is that all my early experiences with comics were Marvel, and yet now I am the biggest DC fanboy ever. In the 6 to 7 years I've been reading and collecting, I've amassed over 2,700 comics, 90% DC. I've bought the Gerber books, own two pieces of original art, Overstreet guides, and I just paid over $100 for a book for the first time. Oh, how far I've come, and how far I have to go. :grin:

Well, that's a little about me. I sincerely hope that this didn't bore you. I enjoy these boards and the community, and though I am a noob, I appreciate all the help I've gotten. Cheers!

and I just paid over $100 for a book for the first time.

That's how it starts...you set up boundaries and then you cross them...

Next will be a $250 book, then a $500 book, and before you know you'll be buying $1000+ books after having said you'd never go there :insane:

Nice story (thumbs u

and I just paid over $100 for a book for the first time.

That's how it starts...you set up boundaries and then you cross them...

Next will be a $250 book, then a $500 book, and before you know you'll be buying $1000+ books after having said you'd never go there :insane:

Nice story (thumbs u

i agree. it's always nice to hear good stories about getting into the hobby.

i also agree with the spending money comment. i'm not quite doing $500+ for a book, but I'm definately there in terms of paying alot for certain things I want

Growing up, I don't think I was ever exposed to comics.

I'm not sure I understand this comment, as it seems that during the "formative collector years" of around 8-14, you had a lot of exposure to comics. (shrug)

Growing up, I don't think I was ever exposed to comics.

I'm not sure I understand this comment, as it seems that during the "formative collector years" of around 8-14, you had a lot of exposure to comics. (shrug)

I only had the two experiences that I mentioned.

Two times in 14 years is hardly a lot. Plus, I was thinking more along the lines of as a small child. I wish my parents would have bought me comics when I was 5 or 6 years old.

Plus, I was thinking more along the lines of as a small child. I wish my parents would have bought me comics when I was 5 or 6 years old.

Sure, but the time you really need to have exposure to comics, for them to be part of the formative male years (leading to nostalgia and potential collecting), is usually between 8 and 14 years of age.