• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early 70s Really The Marvel Age?

8 posts in this topic

I read yet another rosy rememorance of how great Marvel Silver Age stories were. The SA did have some great stories but mostly they were filtered out between the titles and wasn't consistent from issue to issue. The FF is probably the single case of quality throughout.

I personally think the Bronze Age of Marvel is where the consistent quality really started. And ironically it was after Lee has turned over writing duties to others.

Some examples:

ASM #119-150 - The Hulk throwdown, the death of Gwen/Goblin, the Punisher, the emergence of Harry as Goblin, and the original Clone Saga, this whole run was oustanding. Not a bad issue in the bunch...

Avengers #93-150 - Kree/Skrull War, Sentinels, Mantis, Defenders War, Kang War, Vision/Human Torch origin, Beast and Hellcat. Quality all...

FF #120-167 - Return of Galactus, Medusa, Thundra, Gregory Gideon, a classic Dr Doom battle, marriage of Crystal, another Doom/Surfer classic, Counter-Earth dopplegangers, Thing/Hulk battle. Some misfires in-between (anyone remember GAARD? :frustrated:) but very good throughout.

Tomb of Dracula any issue - Just an outstanding horror title that has aged better than anything Marvel has done with their superheroes.

Captain America #145-180 - Red Skull, Hydra, Yellow Claw, government conspiracy, Nomad. Good stuff throughout...

And that's off the top of my head on comics I regularly read as a kid. In my opinion, I don't think any Marvel SA kept up this consistency throughout all titles and in fact the Marvel BA should be recognized as where the company excelled. What do you all think?

Jim

Yes, I agree completely, but a lot of the story lines you hold in such high regard involve characters that are essentially rooted in the Silver Age and therefor bring their nostalgic presence into the Bronze Age. Sort of like comfort food. However, the Silver Age did show little concern for consistency, but they had to come up with something new all the time. There wasn't this immense pool of preexisting characters to pull from unlike the Bronze Age.

:sorry: I really love my old SA ASMs. Don't get me wrong Jim, that bunch of ASMs from the BA you've listed (121/122, 129) are some of the best of ASM period. And sure! Some of Stan's dialogue is a bit dated, but it's still fun.

I actually re-read the X-Men crossover from Avengers 118/119 or whatever it is recently and it was kindah bad.

Don't forget about Conan 1-50 or so. Good stuff if you're into that title. It didn't go down the toilet just because BWS left. 51-100 isn't bad either. Ditto for Savage Sword 1-50.

I read yet another rosy rememorance of how great Marvel Silver Age stories were. The SA did have some great stories but mostly they were filtered out between the titles and wasn't consistent from issue to issue. The FF is probably the single case of quality throughout.

I personally think the Bronze Age of Marvel is where the consistent quality really started. And ironically it was after Lee has turned over writing duties to others.

Some examples:

ASM #119-150 - The Hulk throwdown, the death of Gwen/Goblin, the Punisher, the emergence of Harry as Goblin, and the original Clone Saga, this whole run was oustanding. Not a bad issue in the bunch...

Avengers #93-150 - Kree/Skrull War, Sentinels, Mantis, Defenders War, Kang War, Vision/Human Torch origin, Beast and Hellcat. Quality all...

FF #120-167 - Return of Galactus, Medusa, Thundra, Gregory Gideon, a classic Dr Doom battle, marriage of Crystal, another Doom/Surfer classic, Counter-Earth dopplegangers, Thing/Hulk battle. Some misfires in-between (anyone remember GAARD? :frustrated:) but very good throughout.

Tomb of Dracula any issue - Just an outstanding horror title that has aged better than anything Marvel has done with their superheroes.

Captain America #145-180 - Red Skull, Hydra, Yellow Claw, government conspiracy, Nomad. Good stuff throughout...

And that's off the top of my head on comics I regularly read as a kid. In my opinion, I don't think any Marvel SA kept up this consistency throughout all titles and in fact the Marvel BA should be recognized as where the company excelled. What do you all think?

Jim

I think the basic gist of your point is correct, only I would spot the period of highest Marvel

quality earlier than you would. I'm not a fan at all of the earliest Marvel superhero stuff,

but I think the quality really started to soar in 1965.

Fantastic Four 40-100 and Spidey 39-100 to me represent the zenith of Marvel quality.

With Avengers, I agree the title peaked later, from 90-150.

Personally, I think the quality of Spider-Man dropped off horribly when Lee left the title.

I don't like Conway's run at all even though I have heavy nostalgia for that period.

The period you cite is readable and pretty good, but not as good as 1965-1969 IMHO.

On the other hand, I agree that titles like Cap and Iron Man were better later. But the flagship

titles definitely peaked under Lee.