• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Van Halen

83 posts in this topic

I saw VH perform back in 1984 (near the end of the colossal tour that broke them up) and I'd never pay a penny to see them again. Unfortunately David Lee Roth was completely drunk and made a fool of himself, couldn't sing the songs, kept missing his intros, and was completely off on his timing. Stopped one of the songs so he could yell at a fan who he accused of trying to spit on him. Worst concert I ever went to. Thank goodness for good drugs or it would have been a complete waste of time. lol:grin:

Glad the reunion show was good for you -- at least it's almost the original bunch and not the Van Hagar version. :P

Why did you spit at him? :P:(

Because he sucked? (shrug)lol Nah, I wouldn't have spit at him.

Actually I am not sure that was THE worst concert I ever went to. I was fortunate enough to witness the 1984 classic Aerosmith meltdown in Springfield IL where Steven Tyler collapsed into the audience and nearly got into a fistfight with one of his band-mates. They cancelled the show about 15 minutes into it and then tried to appease us concertgoers by offering a voucher for a free copy of their latest album, which everybody who was a fan already had. :censored:

Oh and I also went to a Ted Nugent concert where somebody in the audience threw a bottle at him and a bunch of fans got the guy and beat the out of him....

Not sure what was about 1984... bad year for big-name rock n roll bands! lol But it was just the sign of the times. 1980s + rock bands + booze & drugs = complete meltdowns. (shrug)

I saw VH perform back in 1984 (near the end of the colossal tour that broke them up) and I'd never pay a penny to see them again. Unfortunately David Lee Roth was completely drunk and made a fool of himself, couldn't sing the songs, kept missing his intros, and was completely off on his timing. Stopped one of the songs so he could yell at a fan who he accused of trying to spit on him. Worst concert I ever went to. Thank goodness for good drugs or it would have been a complete waste of time. lol:grin:

Saw the same concert tour at the FL Hollywood Sportatorium (now gone). Initially had tickets near the side of the stage. Saw one of the roadies setting up coke lines for Eddie and David throughout the entire show behind one of speakers. Either or both would disappear for a second, do a hit, and jump back on stage...

Overall a pretty good concert...

I wouldn't pay to see them today though...especially with Anthony missing...

Jim

Eddie's 17 year old pimply faced kid in place of MA and held his own.

Did he really???...Seems like a slap in the face to the fans to put someone of less than high caliber in such an important position...gawd...bass is everything... :makepoint:

Did he really???...Seems like a slap in the face to the fans to put someone of less than high caliber in such an important position...gawd...bass is everything... :makepoint:

Anthony was also the main voice in the harmonies...

Jim

Anthony was also the main voice in the harmonies...

Jim

Bass is everything!!!... :makepoint:

I'll be catching Van Halen on Oct. 22. Should be interesting. I think I will bring earplugs just in case. I'm deaf enough as it is from 100+ concerts in my lifetime.

I just saw Genesis last week and they were pretty good. I was a little bummed they didn't play "Abacab" and that they did play "Invisible Touch". (I know, I know, you had to expect that one. lol ) I was happy to hear "Home By The Sea".

I saw the Police in July and found it very underwhelming. The songs were fine but I felt they lacked "concert charisma" or something like that. It was kind of dull.

I was a big Van Halen fan during the late 70's and early 80's. Saw them in concert maybe 5 times. I played guitar in a rock band and we did a few VH cover songs in our sets. I lived in Shreveport, LA at the time and Valerie Bertinelli's dad worked at the GM plant there, so Eddie and Valerie would be in town occasionally visiting family. Eddie would pop up unannounced into the local night clubs and get up on stage and jam with the local bands. I was at a nightclub one night watching a friend's band play. I had to go to the restroom and was at a urinal relieving myself, when Eddie walks up and proceeds to do the same in the next stall. Here was my favorite guitar god 2 feet away from me. I wanted to tell him I was a big fan, ask him technical questions about his guitar gear, etc. but the best I could muster was "Hey, how's it going?" to which he replied "Hey". And that was the extent of my meeting Eddie Van Halen in person. I did get to watch him jam for about an hour in a small venue, so it was still a cool experience.

(thumbs u

3)No Michael Anthony! :o Eddie's 17 year old pimply faced kid in place of MA and held his own. Not old.

Although I have no doubt Eddie's kid (Wolfgang?) plays bass well if he inherited any musical talent from his old man, the fact is my 7-year old could jump in and play Michael Anthony's bass lines.

But who did the backing vocals in place of Michael Anthony? That was one thing for which he never got the credit he deserved.

3)No Michael Anthony! :o Eddie's 17 year old pimply faced kid in place of MA and held his own. Not old.

Although I have no doubt Eddie's kid (Wolfgang?) plays bass well if he inherited any musical talent from his old man, the fact is my 7-year old could jump in and play Michael Anthony's bass lines.

But who did the backing vocals in place of Michael Anthony? That was one thing for which he never got the credit he deserved.

I agree on both accounts. I've always thought Anthony was a better contributor as a back up vocalist than as a bass player.

Backing vocals were by Wolfgang & Eddie and were very decent, not sure if they were enhanced in any other manner. The kid did an admirable job, I was shaking my head laughing as he probably doesn't get what the big deal is with his dad's & uncle's "band".

Oh and I also went to a Ted Nugent concert where somebody in the audience threw a bottle at him and a bunch of fans got the guy and beat the out of him....

Wow, what is it with Ted Nugent and stuff like that? Unless you went to the exact same show I did. January, 1988. Muskegon, Michigan. Probably in a hockey rink. Opening for KISS. And he suddenly stopped the song and said, "That guy spit on me. Nobody spits on Ted Nugent! I want you to kick his spoon!" I was really worried for that guy's safety.