• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DETECTIVE COMICS #27 found in attic

1,415 posts in this topic

Have to admit that the first thing occurred to me was that some higher-grade copy that had work done was being "laundered"... hm

But then, I've always been a conspiracy theorist... hm

I wonder what other books were in that attic? hm

I can't wait to hear the story behind this one. This is a classic case of 1) offer too much and the seller runs to other dealers once they realize what they have or 2) offer too little and you might lose the book or hack off the seller to they point they are insulted and walk away. We'll probably never know details. Of course, he may have offered to broker the sale on a % basis.

Of course, he may have offered to broker the sale on a % basis.

That's a possibility - I remember the guys at NDC being a decent bunch. Off to Heritage then. Damn, what a find - the more I think about it, the more impressive it is...

He also found (maybe 5 years ago) an All-American 16, same kind of deal. I'm sure the story is legit. He's in western PA, where people have lived in the same house for 70 years.

As a Poster there said

As the Baby Boomers retire, age, and finally pass away, there could be a flood of these finds. Or it could be rare instances.

More like the Baby Boomers' parents. 'Tec 27 was published in 1939.

That appears to be a remarkable state of preservation for attic storage. I just cleaned out my attic a few weeks ago, and stuff that's been up there for less than 10 years was crappier looking than that book. Just sayin'...

He also found (maybe 5 years ago) an All-American 16, same kind of deal. I'm sure the story is legit. He's in western PA, where people have lived in the same house for 70 years.

I don't think this is legit. There's a guy whose been shopping a Tec 27 that's trimmed along with a number of other trimmed books just a few weeks ago to Eide's. I'm betting it's the same guy. This guy has a song and dance but knows what he's doing... I think Todd was just the next target.

the lack of any mention of any books other than the lone Detective 27 definitely makes this smell a bit fishy...

There's a whole back story and I need to try and reach Todd... but I know what the asking price was, I know what else was in the grouping, and I basically know he's got to find out what the deal is on this book... from what I have heard book has been shopped around -- know the guy's routine and that this book is likely not legit and unrestored...

If he bought the Tec 27 alone, it's because for the group the seller wanted $400k. Some of the books were severely, severely trimmed.

so anyone want to explain what a siamese centerfold is?

From the 3rd OSGG:

Siamese Pages: A bindery defect in which pages are "trimmed long" and are not separated at right-hand corner(s) or along right edge. See Joined Pages

Huh. That's weird. I don't understand how a centerfold could be "Siamese". A centerfold is already one sheet with a fold at the center (or "gutter"). How could it also be joined along the right-edge? This would be a tube of paper, with no way of being printed in the center.

Maybe this centerfold was still joined only at the corners, or at a top or bottom edge? Having trouble visualizing this. hm

I should check my dorm attack and see if there are any nice tec 27s up there. Who knows?

You know, I've been in my house now for about 15 months now and haven't checked the attic once. lol Maybe it's time to make the journey through that little square at the top of our spare bedroom's closet. :wishluck: