• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best and safest way to ship OA?

37 posts in this topic

If you tell them in advance via fax you can up the limit to any amount for a one-time shipment. It is not cheap to do it but worth it for the peace of mind.

I too was put off by their price increases, but haven't yet found another carrier who seems to understand collectibles. Doesn't mean they arent' out there, I just haven't found one yet.

Dan F.

Home Depot or any lumber yard will have it. I believe you can get 1/8" or 1/4". For shipping purposes 1/8" is fine since you sandwich your art between two pieces so it effectively becomes 1/4". Most places will cut it to order.

Here's my experience on shipping OA (including my own) within

America and overseas: Turkey and other locals.

Wrap the artwork in two plastic bags and seal (this protects the

artwork from any water damage)

Seal that within corrugated cardboard (about a quarter inch thick

on each piece). Strapping tape, and or Duct tape, or Gorilla tape

works; Gorilla tape is a brand of very strong tape.

Seal that around two larger pieces of corrugated cardboard (make sure

when you package the sealed first corrugated cardboard within the

larger final corrugated cardboard that the visible V's on both

corrugated cardboard piece sides do NOT run parallel with each other |\/|\/|).

The sides should look like this when the sealed cardboard is within the

larger cardboard |\/|==.

This method will add strength to the corrugated cardboard when shipped:

while allowing the corrugated cardboard to bend while in transit without

snapping, and damaging the artwork.

Masonite is not necessary, and adds to the shipping cost.

None of my USPS mailed artwork has EVER been damaged.

Home Depot or any lumber yard will have it. I believe you can get 1/8" or 1/4". For shipping purposes 1/8" is fine since you sandwich your art between two pieces so it effectively becomes 1/4". Most places will cut it to order.

Thanks (thumbs u

I have collectibles insurance through CIA. They cover ALL art that I ship using USPS and FedEx (but not UPS). Saves you from buying insurance when you ship and if you ship a lot it can make your insurance premiums pay for itself.

Doesn't CIA require you to purchase the minimum amount of insurance offered through each carrier and then they cover everything over that?

When I talked to a lady there on the phone that was my understanding.

I have collectibles insurance through CIA. They cover ALL art that I ship using USPS and FedEx (but not UPS). Saves you from buying insurance when you ship and if you ship a lot it can make your insurance premiums pay for itself.

Doesn't CIA require you to purchase the minimum amount of insurance offered through each carrier and then they cover everything over that?

When I talked to a lady there on the phone that was my understanding.

You just need a signature....with the USPS you need to ship it with a min of insurance or by Express Mail etc to make sure you get that signature.

That's why Fed Ex works too.

C

Another reason not to used masonite. On a side note: I have had nothing but

bad experiences with Canada's delivery system. Damaged material being returned

to me, and poor communication with the workers. :P

Another reason not to used masonite. On a side note: I have had nothing but

bad experiences with Canada's delivery system. Damaged material being returned

to me, and poor communication with the workers. :P

Just imagine what would have happened to this package WITHOUT masonite...say if it were packed in cardboard...it would have been torn in half most likely.

For international packages I like to use 1/4 inch foam core around the art and corrugated plastic 1/8" to sandwich the art. It is slightly flexible but almost entirely unbreakable. But knowing Canada Post they will find a way.

C

For international packages I like to use 1/4 inch foam core around the art and corrugated plastic 1/8" to sandwich the art. It is slightly flexible but almost entirely unbreakable. But knowing Canada Post they will find a way.

C

now that's a nice sandwich.