• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF #9 page on Ebay: Kirby art, Thing vs Subby!

29 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180166748256

WOW! Thing vs Subby from FF #9. One of the better early FF pages I've seen on the market in a while. BIN at 15k. I'm actually a little surprised nobody pulled the trigger on it yet. I bet if it goes to 10k somebody will, unless it meets reserve at that point and the BIN goes away.

And this begs the question: Are the recent sales results causing better quality pages to hit the market as people decide to cash in while prices are high? Or is it always like this, where good stuff comes in batches? Just seems like there have been a lot of really nice Kirby pages hitting the market lately.

hm

:popcorn:

Wow was my initial reaction when I saw it as well. And just like you I'm surprised the BIN still hasn't been popped... this might be a strange thing to say, after all it's still 15K, but for a page of this quality and this early in the run it looks like a pretty good deal.

Especially when compared to other prices Kirby FF pages have been going for.

And yes I do think that the sales of the last few months is making some people who've had a Kirby stashed away test the market.

And I gotta add...eBay looks like a great place to gain exposure now - especially with such a weak dollar - how else would you attract such a wide audience of international buyers??

Just think about it - a $14,000 page would cost you $10,000 overseas right now (based on the Euro) - that ain't too shabyy as 10K ain't what it used to be, but 14K can get you some prime stuff.

And this begs the question: Are the recent sales results causing better quality pages to hit the market as people decide to cash in while prices are high? Or is it always like this, where good stuff comes in batches? Just seems like there have been a lot of really nice Kirby pages hitting the market lately.

Which begs another of my favorite questions, to which no one seems to have a clear answer (well, it does ask that people predict the future . . .), which is --

are prices "high" and if so, will they go down soon? So far over the last ten months, I've seen prices of pieces go up spectacularly in this short period of time. An Arthur Adams Manhunter cover prominently featuring Wonder Woman sold on eBay a few short months ago for $2800, and now has an asking of $5500. He might not get $5500, but certainly the fetching price will be rather north of $2800. Just over a few months?

I agree that high prices will pull out some wonderful pages, like the Kirby pages we are seeing here, but will they go down? And then does everything go back in the "vaults" so to speak?

?????

- A

Which begs another of my favorite questions, to which no one seems to have a clear answer (well, it does ask that people predict the future . . .), which is --

are prices "high" and if so, will they go down soon? So far over the last ten months, I've seen prices of pieces go up spectacularly in this short period of time. An Arthur Adams Manhunter cover prominently featuring Wonder Woman sold on eBay a few short months ago for $2800, and now has an asking of $5500. He might not get $5500, but certainly the fetching price will be rather north of $2800. Just over a few months?

I agree that high prices will pull out some wonderful pages, like the Kirby pages we are seeing here, but will they go down? And then does everything go back in the "vaults" so to speak?

?????

- A

He already sold it for $5500....

Given that Arthur's new covers on Ebay are selling for that and more ($7200 last week for an FF cover) the Manhunter looked like a serious bargain relatively and someone snatched it up.

C

$5500/7200 for Art Adams covers? :o Holy krap! Never realized he commanded those kind of prices.

His unpublished "reinterpretations" of classic covers have been $4500-6500 for about 3 years....and IMHO worth every penny. Some of the best pieces created recently. And most of those sold on Ebay for those amounts too...usually starting at little or no reserve.

If you want to talk giant money then we can discuss his Classic X-men era covers.

C

If you want to talk giant money then we can discuss his Classic X-men era covers.

Those I know, and like, but curious as to what they go for.

The very best of them (like #1) reside is very permanent collections...offers above $20k have been made (not by me) for the very top shelf, but nothing has moved recently...even at those offers.

The least of the classic X-men covers with most of the characters on them start and $5k and get to 10k relatively fast.

I have tried for a few of them but have not had any luck prying them away or getting anything that seems remotely reasonable in price.

C

Talking of classic x-men covers... I bought This Cockrum Uncanny X-men recreation at a Heritage auction in 2003 for $150 and sold it about a year later for $750.

Asking price is now $1800..for a recreation (shrug)

Talking of classic x-men covers... I bought This Cockrum Uncanny X-men recreation at a Heritage auction in 2003 for $150 and sold it about a year later for $750.

Asking price is now $1800..for a recreation (shrug)

I know this is a macabre topic, and we went through this when big John Buscema passed, but dave's passing has made all these pieces more expensive.

C

Agreed, plus I think people are beginning to realize just how tough a published cover by Dave is to obtain. I looked for 15 years before I had the chance to buy a first run example.... that's a lotta time...

.... also, I hate to even bring this up, but in my opinion, Dave's xmen prices also started to rise when the frenzy for Byrne's started to slow. Soooo much focus and energy was put into the Byrne market by a few individuals that those prices went up like a rocket. Now that that market has leveled off (again, my opinion), Cockrum is now being remembered for the guy who after all invented the new x-men.... more or less and his prices are steadily rising.

Slightly OT, but looking the page over made me notice how Stan hadn't quite found Namor's "voice" yet. "This is it, mister" or "...a long time gruesome"

That's an interesting observation, Rich. To me that dialogue sounds a lot more Kirby-esque than Lee-esque. Stan froofed up Namor's dialog later to make it more "royal" sounding (as he did with Black Panther in the FF series). But Jack seemed like he always had characters speaking like they grew up on the streets of New York. A great example of that is the Black Panther series that Jack did later for Marvel had T'challa talking like an every day Joe, not like a member of African royalty -- which was Jack's dialogue not Stan's. Sounds a lot like the dialog in this FF 9 page.

This definitely makes me wonder how long it took before Stan really injected himself into the dialog writing aspects of the early Marvel universe -- and it gives some credence to Jack's contention that he did a lot more of the plotting and scripting and dialog than he got credit for. After all Jack used to put story and dialog notes in the margins of the pages which Stan would use to dialog the stories. Sometimes he'd follow Jack's notes and sometimes he wouldn't.

To me that dialogue sounds a lot more Kirby-esque than Lee-esque. Stan froofed up Namor's dialog later to make it more "royal" sounding (as he did with Black Panther in the FF series). But Jack seemed like he always had characters speaking like they grew up on the streets of New York.

If anyone gets the chance to read the GA Submariner reprints, you'll find that's exactly how he talked back then. The GA writers had him speaking like he was from Brooklyn. It's actually pretty funny to those of us that grew up with the regal SA interpretation.

Angelo