• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman 1 1939

26 posts in this topic

I recently found a copy of Superman 1 issued in 1939. This one has definite condition issues as the front and back covers are off and split right along the spine. I have both the front and back covers. The front cover is missing a part from the outer edge along the spine area going almost into the inner circle where the art is. The back cover also has issues with tears but nothing missing. The comic itself is not bad shape and is tight without any roll and no stains inside. I am interested in selling it since the money will be going to help create a free English as a second language library in East Europe.

Some one more knowladgeble than me should way in... It looks like the original. Even coverless if authentic it should be Sent to CGC for verification and slabbing. On this comic you will only receive the true value by doing that.

By the way good for you by using the proceeds in a great cause! Good luck And keep "Paying it forward!"

Hi Bronzilla,

Thanks for the quick response and the words about the good cause. I contacted the place about the cost of getting the comic authenticated and graded. They should get back to me soon hopefully. It is the only comic I have which is worth sending in for authentication. I am sure anyone able to spend so much money for a comic wants to know it is the real thing.

If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead,

either write things worth reading or do things worth writing.

Benjamin Franklin

Thats a great quote by a great Man! Good luck and if you do find the time.. the story behind finding the comic is something I am sure everyone would love to hear. Also the size of this comic could help to authenticate.

Peace Brother!

The comic is about 13.5 inches tall by 10 inches wide. The quote is the one I use in all my email messages. As for how I found the comic, it took place this week. I was in a thriftstore checking things out. Thriftstores are almost a daily hangout for me. Generally I look for books for the library in Europe. This time I found a couple of good books and had time to kill and saw a pile of comics. Started to leaf through them and found the Superman buried beneath. It was the only comic there worth buying. I am not an expert but the other stuff was common from the 70s and 80s. How it got in there with the others is beyond me but I can live with it.

It is a reprint from the 70's and basically worthless. Very difficult to tell the difference other than the dimensions so don't feel bad.

http://reviews.ebay.com/SUPERMAN-COMICS-1-1939-comic-book-BEWARE-OF-REPRINTS_W0QQugidZ10000000000083866

Collectors should be aware that there was an EXACT REPRINT of SUPERMAN COMICS # 1, published in 1979 (but dated 1939) under DC Comics' FAMOUS FIRST EDITION line. Originally, the comic had a stiff outer cover identifying it as a reprint. When the outer cover is removed, it is IDENTICAL to the original book, except that it is OVERSIZED 10" long and 13 1/2 inches tall. There have been many instances over the years where a non-comic collector has been fooled by one of these reprints. When I owned a comic book store, I got at least one call per month from someone with an oversized reprint of either Action Comics # 1 (1st Superman), Detective Comics # 27 (1st Batman), Sensation Comics # 1 (1st Wonder Woman title), Whiz Comics # 2 (# 1) (not identical to the original, but not identified as a reprint either), Batman # 1, or Superman # 1.

A genuine Superman # 1 will be the same size as a normal Golden Age comic book, which is slightly smaller than a normal sized magazine

Think that one is the reprint judging from the back cover scan.

Definitely, and since we know the dimensions as well, there's no chance that the cut-out line just happened to be totally removed.

Hey sluggo. Nice book and topic of discussion!. but I will have to say this is almost certain the reprint copy. In fact, I will be in utter shock if it isn't. the dimensions are also suggesting this is definitely the reprint (BTW a lot of the reprinted copies had there covers ripped off in an attempt to sell it as an original which is also listed in the overstreet)

sorry :(