• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old houses still hide treasures

17 posts in this topic

I'd appreciate feed back about few of the cartoons we found in an old house we bought for a little while ago. They are all in Swedish:

Stalmannen (Superman) 1949 nr1 (the very first published in Sweden), nr2; 1950 nr 5, 9, 10, and few more.

Kalle Anka (Donald Duck) 1948 nr2 Oct. (the very first was published Sept. 1948); 1949 nr1, nr3, nr4, nr5 etc, again few more; 1950 nr2, nr4, nr5.

We care for the magazines as treasures, and have not desided what to do with them! Hang them on the wall, keep hiding them in a closet, sell them, keep them, options are many.

I had some of the Kalle Anka & Co. many years ago (including a #1). They were VERY high grade (essentially uncirculated for the non-comic fan, 9.0 - 9.6 for the rest of us). I could not find anyone in the states interested in them at that time. I eventually sold them all to Don Rosa (a Donald Duck artist being published through the European Disney licensed publisher), who apparently sold them a few years back to a museum in Sweden. They apparently are very sought after there.

Obviously, all of yours are going to have more potential demand in Sweden than here. How to go about selling them there is another matter.

Whatever you do, don't hang them on the wall...the sunlight will fade the beauty right out of them.

A 9.0 Kalle Anka 1/1948 should easily bring $15,000 in Sweden. I know of one copy (not the nicest existing) that sold for a lot more than that last year. Worth much, much less for lower grades. Follow www.tradera.se for a few months to get an idea for prices. A few Google searches should also bring more price info. I have heard that the Superman #1 is very rare. You definitely want to do some research before you pin it up or sell it for nothing.

PM me if you want me to get you a quote or help selling the book in Sweden.

As best as I can tell, through my extraordinarily limited Swedish, here are a couple of examples:

Low grade collection of ducks - translates to roughly $80

Kalle Anka 6, translated to roughly $95

All auctions with Kalle Anka books.

I have not graded the magnazines, they are propably not in the best the best shape, although the colors are clear, and they are not missing any pages, or corners. The stapling has rost on them, and the paper itself does not look new (yeah, they are older than me!).

Thanks for telling us what not to do; we love art, and these beautiful covers would make such great wall art...

The copy that you sold to end up in a museum may have been the copy that was stolen for some time ago?

I keep tracking the site to build up a picture- great feed back so far!

Yeah, I just pulled out some circa 1941 newspaper insulation from an addition to my house (the main house is 1904). No comic strips or anything, wouldn't have minded some comics from then! The newspapers weren't in THAT bad shape.

We will tear down the remaining walls in few years to rebuild. Like treasure hunting...taking the time in consideration, the comics are in great shape! They have not been in heavy use before someone stuck them in the wall. As a kid I loved my comics, read them through numerous times- they did not survive the wear and tear!

We will tear down the remaining walls in few years to rebuild. Like treasure hunting...taking the time in consideration, the comics are in great shape! They have not been in heavy use before someone stuck them in the wall. As a kid I loved my comics, read them through numerous times- they did not survive the wear and tear!
Congratulations on the find. Can you post some scans for us?