• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's talk money

59 posts in this topic

Hey Auburn,

Which Morales page? I'll send you a PM (and not bore the rest of the crowd). If I had a digital camera or a scanner, I'd just post the thing.

Meanwhile, I've just found an Art Adams cover at a dealer site for under that magic $1K too...saving the speculative investor over 34K...if anybody here loves themselves some Badrock.

The point is, unless the art is truly spectacular OR the artist is currently very, very hot (see: Mignola), any increasing value in OA seems to exist primarily in the combination of artist and storyline. At least, that's my take on it.

I don't agree with the notion of buying something out of emotional connection. Sure that can be part of the reason for admiring a piece, but to buy a piece simply because of emotional attachment? I honestly have an "emotional" attachment to Spider-man 2099 #1 and books from that era because those were the first books I ever got...but that doesn't mean I desire an art piece from the book. I enjoy an original art piece of how I view the QUALITY of the art, not the era in which is was published.

Maybe I am rare in my age group as taking an interest in comics and art from across the ages. I enjoy GA artists like Craig Flessel, Mac Raboy and Alex Schomburg because I think there work is spectacular, not because I grew up with their art. I enjoy modern artists Steve Epting, Mike Wieringo, David Finch and Jim Cheung because I think their artwork is quality material. I buy art for its quality. I just don't see or buying art pieces out of emotional attachments, but that's just me. Anyone is free to enjoy the hobby in their own way.

As for modern art pieces being overpriced--I tend to think they are extremely overpriced. I would like to get some sketches at shows, but it seems like the cheapest sketches now run about $50 and up into the $300-$400 range. FOR A SKETCH lol:insane: Published pieces tend to be priced high as well. Apparently people are paying these prices on occassion which only encourages future price hikes.

I think quality/context of the art contributes to the emotional connection. I don't think anyone buys art purely for nostalgic factor. If I was to buy a sandman page, I would still want one with sandman in it. I wouldn't buy some random page with minor characters just because it might be a good investment.

With all this talk of high prices and crazy money it got me wondering one thing!

If someone was to offer you crazy money( Say $10,000) for an Adams Cover woul you take it knowing it woudl mess up the market?

I don't agree with the notion of buying something out of emotional connection. Sure that can be part of the reason for admiring a piece, but to buy a piece simply because of emotional attachment? I honestly have an "emotional" attachment to Spider-man 2099 #1 and books from that era because those were the first books I ever got...but that doesn't mean I desire an art piece from the book. I enjoy an original art piece of how I view the QUALITY of the art, not the era in which is was published.

You assume that the art from a story I enjoy ISN'T quality? Obviously the two things go hand in hand. Given the choice between two aesthetically pleasing pieces, both high quality, but one from a story that I loved, I'll obviously choose the one I connect to more. (shrug)

Sorry to stray off topic, but what Morales page do you own? I'm a huge fan!

I don't have a Morales page, but I have this Morales cover:

Hourman 18 featuring the JSA

I do not care that it is "modern" art. I just buy the covers/splashes I want to look at every day at a price I PERSONALLY feel is worth it.

Oh, and unless it's just a killer piece, I need some "personal" attachment to it. 98% of the published art I own, I have read and enjoyed. That said, I read a lot of comics (thumbs u

I do not care that it is "modern" art. I just buy the covers/splashes I want to look at every day at a price I PERSONALLY feel is worth it.

Oh, and unless it's just a killer piece, I need some "personal" attachment to it. 98% of the published art I own, I have read and enjoyed. That said, I read a lot of comics (thumbs u

Ahh yes, I'm familiar with this cover. I've been working on a covert operation to "rescue" it from your collection and put it in mine. Still working on logistics, though. :cool:

Ahh yes, I'm familiar with this cover. I've been working on a covert operation to "rescue" it from your collection and put it in mine. Still working on logistics, though. :cool:

I hear Burritos work

:gossip: According to Steve's CAF Gallery For Sale Status you could "rescue" it for $2000!

:gossip: It's not worth $2000 :(

:gossip: It's spelled Kyle Rayner not Raynor as it's on your coundown cover

doh!

Makes you wonder how mistakes happen on CGC labels..... lol

Thanks (thumbs u will correct that......

Need a Proof Reader down there?

:gossip: It's not worth $2000 :(

:gossip: It's spelled Kyle Rayner not Raynor as it's on your coundown cover

doh!

Makes you wonder how mistakes happen on CGC labels..... lol

Thanks (thumbs u will correct that......

Need a Proof Reader down there?

Eye dont' tink soo............doo u ?

Back to the topic at hand (as an aside Steve this place might not be the best to recruit for the perfection of the English language - I know spell check has ruined me lol).

One thing I've noticed with the OA market is a nuance of availability of the old supply demand = price.

With a comic collector for instance, you actually have to purchase items from time to time to collect. With the OA collector, you often have to resist this impulse with the dollars involved. For example, if you want a SA comic key, there are usually still many examples available and in varying grades. So you can get the gratification of completion, even if you upgrade a few issues here and there later on. Not so with OA, though I think that vendors definitely over state the unique / one of a kind, could be your only chance to own it, there is some truth to that for certain pieces depending on what appeals to you. I will use a personal example, I have had the opportunity to purchase quite a few Perez NTT splahes, but there is only one NTT #12 Title splash. :cloud9:

With respect to money and modern art, where this discussion has its origin. I find that if you get caught up in purchasing a few pieces here and there because things that you might really want are just not available, when those things do become available you either A) have to move very quickly, or B) might not get a chance to purchase that piece.

So if nostalgia, or identification with a piece is a prime sort of inspiration for what you buy, modern art can be a bit of a pitfall. It is easier to obtain, relatively cheaper, yet still expensive enough to put a dent in the majority of collectors resources and it may actually hurt your ability to purchase nostalgic pieces down the road. I have to say that with OA, my mindset really touches on, "did paying 1000 for that new piece limit my ability to purchase something larger with which I hold more sentiment in the next 30-60 days." I guess it just seems as if the stakes are higher for the OA collector, when moving from comics.

Bianchi and Finch are pikers compared to Art Adams. He had a new cover with a $35K price tag on it at San Diego this year. Now, it was a spectacular piece and I'm sure there's someone out there willing to pay it, but the sticker shock made me do a double-take. And then a triple-take.

:o :o :o

Did it come with a free Frazetta as well??? :P

:signfunny:

I picked up a great Art Adams cover on the Bay last night for under $2000 :grin:

In this hobby, patience (usually) is virture (thumbs u

Very funny Steve, using that quote and finding a new way to spell virtue wrong. (tsk)

Back to the topic at hand (as an aside Steve this place might not be the best to recruit for the perfection of the English language - I know spell check has ruined me lol).

One thing I've noticed with the OA market is a nuance of availability of the old supply demand = price.

With a comic collector for instance, you actually have to purchase items from time to time to collect. With the OA collector, you often have to resist this impulse with the dollars involved. For example, if you want a SA comic key, there are usually still many examples available and in varying grades. So you can get the gratification of completion, even if you upgrade a few issues here and there later on. Not so with OA, though I think that vendors definitely over state the unique / one of a kind, could be your only chance to own it, there is some truth to that for certain pieces depending on what appeals to you. I will use a personal example, I have had the opportunity to purchase quite a few Perez NTT splahes, but there is only one NTT #12 Title splash. :cloud9:

With respect to money and modern art, where this discussion has its origin. I find that if you get caught up in purchasing a few pieces here and there because things that you might really want are just not available, when those things do become available you either A) have to move very quickly, or B) might not get a chance to purchase that piece.

So if nostalgia, or identification with a piece is a prime sort of inspiration for what you buy, modern art can be a bit of a pitfall. It is easier to obtain, relatively cheaper, yet still expensive enough to put a dent in the majority of collectors resources and it may actually hurt your ability to purchase nostalgic pieces down the road. I have to say that with OA, my mindset really touches on, "did paying 1000 for that new piece limit my ability to purchase something larger with which I hold more sentiment in the next 30-60 days." I guess it just seems as if the stakes are higher for the OA collector, when moving from comics.

My own personal take: Hunt down the nostalgia pieces first. The pieces that you really connect with, that have some personal meaning for you. There will always be new art. When I find myself needing to cull a piece here and there to raise some funds, it's always the newish stuff that goes.

In OA collecting, information is power. So if you have a few grailish wants in mind, try your best to find out where they are. For example, you know where the NTT #12 splash is. Given who owns it, the likelihood of it going anywhere is remote. Time to put that one out of your mind and widen your strike zone. If you obsess over the one unattainable piece, other opportunities will pass you by.

Also, if you know which artists/titles you want someting from but are being "picky", you should consider that there's a fine line between being patient/waiting for just the right piece and being so picky that the market escalates beyond your budget in the meantime...and you end up with nothing.

Geez...that almost sounds like dating advice :insane:

My 2 cents.

Bianchi and Finch are pikers compared to Art Adams. He had a new cover with a $35K price tag on it at San Diego this year. Now, it was a spectacular piece and I'm sure there's someone out there willing to pay it, but the sticker shock made me do a double-take. And then a triple-take.

:o :o :o

Did it come with a free Frazetta as well??? :P

:signfunny:

I picked up a great Art Adams cover on the Bay last night for under $2000 :grin:

In this hobby, patience (usually) is virture (thumbs u

Very funny Steve, using that quote and finding a new way to spell virtue wrong. (tsk)

Hey! I can always find a way to do something wrong! :hi:

With all this talk of high prices and crazy money it got me wondering one thing!

If someone was to offer you crazy money( Say $10,000) for an Adams Cover woul you take it knowing it woudl mess up the market?

Yes! Whoever is offering that kind of $$$ will eventually get what he wants. I might as well be the one who makes the money.