• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Damage In Holder

60 posts in this topic

I have a life... The unintelligible response is yours.... Put me on ignore... See if it bugs me in the slightest.... I don't scour the boards.. Go to your tomato boxes and see what else you find....

I wouldn't put you on ignore to bug you :foryou: Where's the sense in that? hm I would however, if it meant I could escape reading the drivel you contribute. :grin:

99% of my post's are giving grades on book's. I am never off the beaten path much with the others on those grades either. All I know is I never did like tomatoes... Real or Comic....... Just because anyone on here has been here for years doesn't mean there a expert in collecting. Though I would hope they would be. It just means they have been on this forum for awhile now. So if Matt Nelson was on here and had 3 posts you would call him a newbie just because he just joined up?? I don't think so. I know quite a few serious collectors who aren't members of this board. Though they may read it every now and again...

Admittedly, it appears to be SSS, but who's fault is it? And does it really matter? The problem I have with whining like this, is if this bothers you as much as it appears, then you have other personal issues to deal with that are more important than the grade of a comic book. An incidental depression to the edge of a comic book, should not affect its value or desirability. :sumo:

On the question of fault, yes, the inner well is not perfect, but I think the other concerns it addresses override the occasional dimple. Just cherish the freakin' book as it deserves to be cherished, and quit yer' whinin' :devil:

I'm confused by your response as well. What are you trying to say?

If a person buys a slab, shouldn't they expect the comic inside to be the grade advertised? And that the slab itself shouldn't be a cause for damage? The whole rational for the slab is protection for the comic after being graded. If SCS occurs, both criteria is busted and a cause for concern...

Has nothing to do with other personal issues...

Jim

The reason 98% of the time to have a book slabbed is so the seller can get maximum price for it. The rest are doing it to be sure the book is well protected, checked for restoration, assigned as grade. These holders can and will continue to cause damage to a few comic books. Restoration check is a bit of a gamble as well. As The CGC has been fooled here as well. There grading while usually good is also suspect at times. But it beats the alternative of nothing checked on the book at all.

This is the slowest flame war I've ever seen lol

No kidding. David is nothing if not laid back. That's for sure.

However, TFL does have a point. About damage while in the slab, not David.

I generally don't buy slabbed books. :grin: I've bought slab damaged books in the past, and promptly returned them to the seller. :sumo: I'm not a label chaser, just a label creator (:

I also don't view books as having any "investment potential" - they are a pure indulgence to me. :)

Originally Posted By: divad

Admittedly, it appears to be SSS, but who's fault is it? And does it really matter? The problem I have with whining like this, is if this bothers you as much as it appears, then you have other personal issues to deal with that are more important than the grade of a comic book. An incidental depression to the edge of a comic book, should not affect its value or desirability.

On the question of fault, yes, the inner well is not perfect, but I think the other concerns it addresses override the occasional dimple. Just cherish the freakin' book as it deserves to be cherished, and quit yer' whinin'

So why would you return a damaged slabbed book? It goes against what you wrote earlier!!

I'm not posting this as a jab at you at all. But I would like to know why in one instance you say it doesn't affect a books desirability. Then the next thing you say is you return a book with slab damage promptly. It makes no sense at all. At some point a few books become investments. Like a nice AF 15, Hulk 1, Hulk 181, Tec 27 etc.. I know I try and buy books I want. I also try and get books I want that are indeed what I hope are good investments.

To be serious for a moment, there has been a great deal of discussion on these boards about books being damaged in the slab from shaking (SCS). What gets virtually no mention, however, is the potential for warping.

Held at an angle, one can see that many encapsulated books do not lie flat, but rather take on the minor waves present in the inner well. Over the long term, I wonder whether these books will no longer lie flat when removed from their slabs. This is a potentially far more serious concern than SCS, because it impacts a considerably higher proportion of slabbed books.

Thoughts, anyone?

To be serious for a moment, there has been a great deal of discussion on these boards about books being damaged in the slab from shaking (SCS). What gets virtually no mention, however, is the potential for warping.

Held at an angle, one can see that many encapsulated books do not lie flat, but rather take on the minor waves present in the inner well. Over the long term, I wonder whether these books will no longer lie flat when removed from their slabs. This is a potentially far more serious concern than SCS, because it impacts a considerably higher proportion of slabbed books.

Thoughts, anyone?

I have liberated a few books with these waves that you speak of. Once free of their holders the waves were gone.

(shrug)

I have a couple of damaged slabbed books drives me insane everytime I look at em. I for one slab books to protect them or so I thought. I dont sell much and am a part time label chaser. Had to see the damage from a small scan. Anyways I see both points but would still love a better holder. Perhaps a little more rigid and tight