• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA BEST ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES POLL: RD.8

GA ARTISTS POLL  

207 members have voted

1. 1. GA ARTISTS POLL

74 posts in this topic

Wow, nice to see Schommy's painting work. OK - the Dali-esque one is my favorite... So muh fun to look at, even if a bit derivative. The long town scene makes me want to throw up though! (Sorry Kenny!) The reason is, if you are going to put that much effort into a realistic scene, you have to get the persective right on the main building! doh! Look at the angle of the facade & the signage & match that up with the rooftop, it makes me dizzy! That being said, I really enjoyed looking at these! Scrooge - you are a worthy librarian of the sequential arts! :applause:

No problem. I'm glad you guys are enjoying them ... plus, thanks for your support re: the town scene. I much prefer the farm scene because it almost has a pointillism aspect to it and I can't help enjoy looking at Schomburg bending to pick up the corn. I always like those details.

As for tth2 and his Toth's hatred :blahblah: I mean, he could draw a bunny and what else is there to achieve in one's career. Kelly could do it, Barks could do it and so did Toth. Here's a Toth 50's bunny :insane:

46358-Toth-Bunny.jpg.76c28d8357e26cf73d04fbeb9d87ca53.jpg

While Schomburg was known for his war time covers of superheroes knocking out Nazis....

Blackterror4front-1.jpg

Few recognize him for his great pre-war work that just screams "Golden Age"....

thrillingcomics7cgc90f.jpg

....and while his post war airbrush GGA is adored and loved by collectors...

thrilling64fc.jpg

....he really shows his range as an artist after the war, with funny humor/teen covers....

freckles10.jpg

....and even a touch of romance.

DBF8front.jpg

Say what you want about the man, but he was diverse, prolific, and extremely talented. There is a reason people collect his books for the cover alone...because they are just that damn good.

'Nuff said. :sumo:

Wow, nice to see Schommy's painting work. OK - the Dali-esque one is my favorite... So muh fun to look at, even if a bit derivative. The long town scene makes me want to throw up though! (Sorry Kenny!) The reason is, if you are going to put that much effort into a realistic scene, you have to get the persective right on the main building! doh! Look at the angle of the facade & the signage & match that up with the rooftop, it makes me dizzy! That being said, I really enjoyed looking at these! Scrooge - you are a worthy librarian of the sequential arts! :applause:

No problem. I'm glad you guys are enjoying them ... plus, thanks for your support re: the town scene. I much prefer the farm scene because it almost has a pointillism aspect to it and I can't help enjoy looking at Schomburg bending to pick up the corn. I always like those details.

As for tth2 and his Toth's hatred :blahblah: I mean, he could draw a bunny and what else is there to achieve in one's career. Kelly could do it, Barks could do it and so did Toth. Here's a Toth 50's bunny :insane:

Aye! Darby O'Gill & The Little People! What a treat!

Say what you want about the man, but he was diverse, prolific, and extremely talented. There is a reason people collect his books for the cover alone...because they are just that damn good.

Well said (thumbs u

Though I would change the last sentence to...they are just damn near perfect!

As for tth2 and his Toth's hatred :blahblah:

I didn't realize saying someone wasn't a Top 10 GA Artist means I hate him. :sorry:

Or are you just working out your frustration at the early exit of Les Bleus? :baiting:

As for tth2 and his Toth's hatred :blahblah:

I didn't realize saying someone wasn't a Top 10 GA Artist means I hate him. :sorry:

Or are you just working out your frustration at the early exit of Les Bleus? :baiting:

:gossip: I don't think that exit was early b/c, honestly, who thought we would beat the Kiwis ... again :grin:

As for Toth, you've been pretty vocal against him ...

Few recognize him for his great pre-war work that just screams "Golden Age"....

thrillingcomics7cgc90f.jpg

I don't want to be contrarian and I whole-heartedly agree that it screams GA but it really screams pulps more than anything else. I see this cover as a re-interpreted G-8 cover or, even closer, it has the same elements as this illo of Captain Baby-Face whose nemesis was Mr. Death, who, in reality, is a German monk whose monastery was blasted during the war (WWI) and he was patched back together. Call him an early Dr. Doom or Million Dollar Man ...

46362-Schomburg-BabyFace.jpg.fc84257265bdc89d5a09ab2552af7854.jpg

:gossip: I don't think that exit was early b/c, honestly, who thought we would beat the Kiwis ... again :grin:

Yes, but playing at home, against a decidedly inferior English side, you guys should have won. :gossip: If England win the WC, I think it will without a doubt go down as the worst side to have won the WC.

As for Toth, you've been pretty vocal against him ...

I think I mentioned once in this contest that I didn't like him that much because of his Caniff resemblance, and that he would be on my list soon because he didn't rate as a Top 10-level artist, but that's about it. (shrug)

Yes, but playing at home, against a decidedly inferior English side, you guys should have won. :gossip: If England win the WC, I think it will without a doubt go down as the worst side to have won the WC.

Tim, is there no sport you're not an expert in?? :baiting:

I was at the game.

England were magnificent :baiting:

Cricket. Can`t make head or tails of it!

I'm torn between LB Cole and Schomburg, but the time has come to start wielding my vote against Schomburg.

Since every time I post some art from one artist, that guy gets voted off, here's some Schomburg :devil:

Kidding aside, I posted it in the GA section but got no reaction. And yes, I know it's not comic art but I think people have enjoyed seeing the other aspects of these guys' work -

Interesting piece - likely influenced by Thomas Hart Benton.

The comic fan in me really likes the spaceships/statue of liberty painting and the surrealistic spider one as well.

Good eye. Here's an example of Benton's work (from umsystem.edu), and an example from another possible influence, Peter Blume of the Magical Realism movement. (Art Institute of Chicago. If you're ever in Chicago, go see this painting, it's killer. Note: This is the largest jpg I could find of this work. 1956 is the museum inventory tag. The actual painting is 1944-48.)

Thanks for these Scrooge!

46372-embarkationweb-729550.jpg.42fb7dbf9618b8b78708b9f4e8a6f828.jpg

46373-1956_338.jpg.fe025e50810df97892a8cb0b4ad275ba.jpg