• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who owns the finest private GA collection?

32 posts in this topic

I would think Anderson and Verzyl would be the top two, but are you talking quantity, value, or grade?

Ian Levine might win in the quantity department with over 35,000 DC comics. :shy:

But how many of those are GA?

Good point. Maybe 30%. (shrug)

I've seen Ian's collection, and it is impressive, but for grade... it lacks. He very much was concerned with gap filling with available copies at the time he was looking, and choosing the least price sensitive.

Which made sense when you know your chasing that many books...as he didn't have unlimited funds to throw at his collecting goal.

Then I would think Christine Farrell probably has a better collection, since she also has all the DCs (except for giveaways and promotions that only Ian really cares about), but I've heard she cares much more about grade than Ian does.

With geppi my brain always gets twisted up as to where inventory ends and where "collection" begins. Still, I think he's got to be the king for breadth. It's just endless.

Quality? Anderson wins I would think. By my reckoning he's got three of the top five books in the hobby and at least one of the other two is a book he passed on.

I'm a collector that knows what he likes, to remain sane I believe what I have is better than everyone elses. If I were to envy anyone elses collection over my own, I'd leave the hobby in an instant.

Really? I envy and respect everyone's collection, because I realize the time, money, and effort required to attain these little gems of history. I'm comfortable with the fact that my collection will never be the biggest or highest graded across the board, and I'm ok with that, because I truly want what I have.