• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daytona Beach Comic and Toy Show Nov. 18

52 posts in this topic

I had a lot of fun too. It was certainly a small show, although it is great to have some small shows like this at different times of the year. The attendance was probably in the 50-75 person range. That might sound like next to nothing, but suprisingly you hear at least average reviews from the dealer tables and in most cases the dealers were actually happy (which cannot be said for many bigger shows). Since the tables were next to nothing, dealers made a greater percentage on their investment than in most larger shows. Giodarno and Beatty were there for part of the show and charging $35 for sketches. Unfortunately, I was not able to get a sketch this time around.

The selection of books was obviously limited. However, there was a good selection considering the number of dealers there. All of the bases were pretty much covered. There was certainly a lot of SA Marvel, mcmiles represented almost 100% of the Timelys in the room as well as the highest quality SA books, there was Hoohah Comics which had the GA esoteric selection, there was flee who had a selection of BA dollar books and a couple of SA keys. Joeypost represented a lot of the HG copper books. So overall, a good selection.

Overall, it was a succesful first show. There will be a second one to come.

I had a lot of fun as well. The day went by surprisingly fast considering the relatively slow sales. It wasn't a very record breaking show for me, but I think Flee and HooHa did pretty well. Considering it wasn't far to go and the tables were very cheap, It was well worth doing, and I will certainly do it again. Maybe with a little less inventory next time (loading and unloading dollar boxes just plain sucks)

There were definitely no shortage of dollar books there. I don't think mine sold very well though, because they are bagged, boarded and in alpha-numerical order. :P

The room actually represented most of the better dealers from the Central Florida area, and I think that anyone attendending was probably surprised by the selection of books available. I probably shouldn't say dealers, because I think most are like me - collectors that sell in order to buy more. I had no signifigant sales of GA, SA or BA. It just wasn't that type of crowd, and I don't think anyone expected it to be.

Considering the table rate ($25-$35), free admission for attendees, and the short time frame in which the promoters put the show together, I would say it was a success. I wish local cons like this still existed. One where you can go and set up cheaply, do some trading, show off your books, shoot the , and hang out with other comic geeks. For me, I would like to do a con like this about every four months or so. Hopefully this one will continue and start to gain a little bit of a following and maybe we'll see a few more geeks come out and mix it up.

I'll post the pictures tonight.

I agree with everyones sentiments. The show was fun (my first as a seller) and for a small show it had books from all era's available. Half the room was forum members so it was cool from that standpoint.

Flee by far had the best sales on dollar books. His were just bagged (if that) while Mike and I had everything bagged and boarded and sold very few (under 100 $1 books in total). Overall I did OK compared to other vendors. Just to give you an example the guy to my right was selling TV Guides. By the time I left he was about $10 in the black after recouping his table cost :P

Took 18 long boxes of high grade bronze books in and left with 18 long boxes. I could not give some of the books away thats how bad it was for a few hours. Thankfully their were a few pockets of activity that made up for it.

Yea i had a good time at the show i got a few things hope they have it more often i all ways liked the small shows like that.

Yeah, it was nice to see you there by the way. (thumbs u

Same here. He accounted for 20% of my sales lol

Okay, my longer review. The show was in a comfortable room that overlooked Daytona beach. There were no loud video dealers, manga costumers, or aggressive artists. Since it was a regional one-day show with $30 tables, the overhead was practically nothing. There were about 13 dealers, half of whom were board members. I was set up between MCMiles/KingOfRulers and Hoohah, with Joeypost and Plady69 close by. Because it was a free show, the small-but-steady crowd seemed ready to make purchases. I went into the show with low-expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Bronze age dollar books were the hot-item. I know the big national shows have all the glitz and glamour, but I like this format just as well. It was kinda like a cozy forum get-together where we looked at comics, debated the technicalities of restoration, and discussed what happens on these boards. Giordano and John Beatty were directly across from me and it was interesting to hear them talk about the industry. I was right by the glass doors that overlooked the ocean and since it was a beautiful day, I would occasionally step out to listen to the waves hitting the beach. So, the combination of no-pressure to "make table", the beautiful view, nice sales, and hanging out with fellow forumites made for a day well spent. :grin:

P.S. I also made "the buy" of the show! :applause:

hillbilly.jpg

Great meeting you all! Thanks to Paul of Coliseum of Comics for taking the rest of my long boxes off my hands as I head west. I has a real good chat with John Beatty who was sitting right next to me drawing. We talked about how comic books influenced us as kids and got us into our present careers. I talked about how I learned to tell stories from reading comics. I am a former TV news photographer and a currently unemployed Avid and Final Cut Pro video editor. Good luck to you guys and maybe I will see you in San Diego next year. Anyone know of comic shops or cons in Las Vegas?

Great meeting you all! Thanks to Paul of Coliseum of Comics for taking the rest of my long boxes off my hands as I head west. I has a real good chat with John Beatty who was sitting right next to me drawing. We talked about how comic books influenced us as kids and got us into our present careers. I talked about how I learned to tell stories from reading comics. I am a former TV news photographer and a currently unemployed Avid and Final Cut Pro video editor. Good luck to you guys and maybe I will see you in San Diego next year. Anyone know of comic shops or cons in Las Vegas?

Talk to tonystarkfan (James)...he lives in Vegas.

This show sounds like it has the potential to be a regular for central Florida along the lines of Tampa (where I live).

I couldn't make it for this reason, as I put it in a PM:

"I went to see 4 GA books on the way to Daytona Sunday morning. They were so far from DBM in grade that I got depressed and turned around and went back home."

DBM is a new term, just related to me by KOR & which he picked up from MCMiles who in turn heard it from a Tampa show regular last week, meaning "dead balls mint". lol

I was looking forward to meeting Flee & Joeypost and the other members I haven't met before.... :sorry:

This show sounds like it has the potential to be a regular for central Florida along the lines of Tampa (where I live).

"I went to see 4 GA books on the way to Daytona Sunday morning. They were so far from DBM in grade that I got depressed and turned around and went back home."

DBM is a new term, just related to me by KOR & which he picked up from MCMiles who in turn heard it from a Tampa show regular last week, meaning "dead balls mint". lol

I was looking forward to meeting Flee & Joeypost and the other members I haven't met before.... :sorry:

DBM lol I would much rather see that on a slab than 10.0 Mint

There needs to be one of these in Tallahassee, or Panama City, or Pensacola, or Mobile, or anywhere closer to me... :mad:

Jim

I think B'Ham has one? Don't know if that helps too much. Ask Brent with Quality Comics to start one!! (shrug)

DBM lol I would much rather see that on a slab than 10.0 Mint

DBM!!!!! A new classic!!!!! lol

The "Crew" taken towards the end of the show.

In order

plady69

Hoohah

Flee

kingofrulers

mcmiles is the one drinking the soda in the earlier photo. I forgot to get my pic taken this time around.

Vacation004.jpg

Thats Chris H. headed towards Tom's booth in your "typical traffic" pic. Chris is an early Silver DC collector. I think he was set-up at the show---never seen him do that before.

Tom always has great books---and tan.

Cool pics! Central Florida crew!!

Love the drapes & wallpaper too!! Swank!! :kidaround:

Who needs WWTx & the National with the Daytona show!!