• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink Original Art Auction

36 posts in this topic

ASM 6 page closed at $44,000 (reserve not met)

It's no secret that Conrad owns that page and was looking for $40,000 on it - so I ave no idea why the reserve wasn't me, especially since 10% of $40,000 = $4,000 and $44,000 - $4,000 = $40,000.

Regardless, that is an all-time high for an ASM panel page. I can't imagine what this does to the Ditko ASM market...

However - WOW!

Well, now it's up on Comiclink in the Art for Sale section for $46,000 - which makes no sense to me. Why wouldn't you just take the $44,000 at that point.

Here's a link:

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%5Fadv%5Fart%2Easp%3F%5FSORT%3DYES%26all%3Dy%26Artist1%3D%26CATEGORIES%3D%2D1%26Artist2%3D%26PRICEF%3D%26Title%3D%26ISSUE%3D%26SORT%3DCATEG%26where%5Fforsale%3Dy%26PAGE%3D%26%5Fwhere%5Fforsale%3Dy%26YEAR%3D%26x%3D20%26PRICET%3D%26y%3D13%26f1%3DPrice%26ODire1%3DDESC%26f2%3DSort%26ODire2%3DASC%26f3%3DPublisher%26ODire3%3DASC&id=711983

Sorry, no QRL - but you can find it pretty easily. To see the auction result - go to the auction and search for "Ditko" and it'll come up.

Unbelievable...I wish I had a time machine to go back to conventions and buy pages when no one else was! Wonder what the reserve was...my guess 50k.

I don't need a time machine on this one as I used to own it when these pages were going for $4-5K. Its interesting to note that some one has sniped all the corners to hide the dog bites, totally uncallled for on this page. I loved the chewed ends myself. It kind of gave this page a sense of history.

Clem...

You can say alot of things about Conrad E. but I've never known or heard of him to goose his own auctions. In fact, I've always been suprised that some of his 'big' items close well, well below reserve. It is pretty well known that there is at least one Big Gun who has several of these pages... and is probably looking for one more. My guess is it will be sold before another week goes by. Just my guess though...

Dan

My thoughts exactly. The Big Gun owns several of the pages from that book and I have always thought he was secretly trying to put it back together.

I doubt thats posible, at least a couple of ASM 6 pages were digested long ago and are no more than fossilised dog poop.

Clem..

I think you could perhaps put back together the final fight sequence. But, that could prove difficult too...

Yep thats true, I used to own pages 16,17 & 18. I've never seen or heard of page 19. Its possible that this might have been one of the destoyed pages because page 18 was heavily restored.

I guess the dog was very choosy and only wanted the best pages. He certainly had good taste (;-)

Clem...

Dan

My thoughts exactly. The Big Gun owns several of the pages from that book and I have always thought he was secretly trying to put it back together.

I doubt thats posible, at least a couple of ASM 6 pages were digested long ago and are no more than fossilised dog poop.

Clem..

Hold on, did someone's DOG get a hold of these pages and devour them?

Angelo

Dan

Clem..

Angelo

Yes. The story goes (others probably have a more accurate and detailed account of it) that they were left on a porch by the mailman or parcel delivery guy, where the owner's dog got ahold of the package and chewed it up. Some of the pages had to be heavily restored and most (if not all) had at least a chewed corner or two. I don't know if any were damaged beyond salvation or not.

Also, Dan, good to have you speak up for Conrad. I've had dealings with him and he's always been up front and honest. I can't imagine any motivation for shilling up an auction like this. After all a sale at that level would likely raise the bar again for Ditko ASM art, and unless you have a stockpile there'd be no long term benefit. In fact, it would only make it more expensive to try to acquire it in the future!

You know what Steve; you make a damn good point. I was only referring to Conrad's character and general integrity, but he is also a major buyer of these pages. Not in the stockpile sense, but in the acquire and re-sell or keep a select few type. If you are trying to privately acquire as many pages as you are selling it doesn't make sense to publically run up the prices in a less than honest way. Don't get me wrong, I have no pony in this race and don't have any first hand knowledge, but I'm just sayin.... DF

Dan

Clem..

Angelo

Yes. The story goes (others probably have a more accurate and detailed account of it) that they were left on a porch by the mailman or parcel delivery guy, where the owner's dog got ahold of the package and chewed it up. Some of the pages had to be heavily restored and most (if not all) had at least a chewed corner or two. I don't know if any were damaged beyond salvation or not.

Also, Dan, good to have you speak up for Conrad. I've had dealings with him and he's always been up front and honest. I can't imagine any motivation for shilling up an auction like this. After all a sale at that level would likely raise the bar again for Ditko ASM art, and unless you have a stockpile there'd be no long term benefit. In fact, it would only make it more expensive to try to acquire it in the future!

doh! Imagine coming home and seeing that !!