• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM Hobgoblin Art

11 posts in this topic

I was watching this on ebay and was hoping to win it for $125. Boy was I wrong....

ASM #277 Hobgoblin

The Black costume/Hobgoblin era was my favorite of the copper ASM run and I always wanted to own some Frenz art. I went on a Ron Frenz Spider-Girl original art binge about a year ago. I was able to pick up some great Hobgoblin pages and a splash for between $30 - $75 each. It is interesting that this ad in ASM went for 7-15X what I paid.

Obviously, the final value on this page seems to be more about its "historic" value (within ASM) rather than the price of Frenz Hobgoblin art.

The winning bidder is a well-known art dealer. I have no idea what a realistic value is for this piece, but no doubt the winner believes it can be sold for even more. Probably substantially so.

The Ron Frenz black costume run on ASM is very memorable to me as well. ASM 252 is one of my all-time favorite Marvel covers. Nostalgia plays very heavily here...expect high values for any Frenz ASM work from that era.

Kevin Forbes had this piece available for direct sale at $800 for about two years. In my opinion, it was worth about $450 due to the amount of stat, plus the fact it was missing a stat, so I bid in that neighbourhood. I have to agree that this piece will go up for sale at triple the winning bid. It will sit around for years, but I'm sure someone will buy it someday. Their prices are often crazy, but the market eventually seems to catch up to Steve and Rich. For panel pages, a Ron Frenz Amazing Spider-man page, with the Hobgoblin and Spidey on the page, can be had in the $500 to $1200 range over the past year.

one of the few goals I have had for years was to get a frenz hobgoblin page. I was put off by the price so gave up. I recently picked this Hobgoblin lives up because it's as close as I am likely to get. Frenz & Perez, and a nice hobgoblin face shot. And cheap.... It will do until I get an asm page.

1659509344_b906e11217_o.jpg

Thanks CDaBruce,

Glad we could work out a deal for the Frenz Splash.

I bid on the ASM #277 Hobgoblin after I missed the $1,000 BIN on eBay back in May. I meant it for my Goblin collection (my best examples are a Ditko page and Romita cover), but I see you really wanted it from your emails.

I think it's good karma to help out a collector when they seriously want a piece even if you had planned on keeping it.

A couple years back, I traded a keeper Xmen related Byrne F.F. page to collector trying to complete the story, and I ended up with a piece that my favorite artist wanted. So I traded the artist for one of his covers that I really appreciated in my Xmen collection.

Best,

Rich