• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shipping Expectations

How many days is acceptable to wait for notification of shipment?   

129 members have voted

1. 1. How many days is acceptable to wait for notification of shipment?

22 posts in this topic

Ok, so if you see an auction on eBay, and no notice on expectations for shipping of an item are given, what is the "standard" and "acceptable" wait times before receiving a notification of shipment?

I got stuck flying for my job, and I neglected to communicate that I only ship at the end of the week, so some folks had to wait 3-4 days for shipment. I think I could've done more to communicate it but then again from my experience 3-4 days seems reasonable to me so I didn't think folks would get bent over this (I know...how naive)....I offered free shipping to everyone in this situation, and I plan on making sure this information is within the auctions.

I'd like to get your feedback on this.

3-4 days is very acceptable to me. After all, people work for a living and may only be able to pack & ship items once a week. Even a week is oaky, but that's pushing it (unless it's stated in the auction).

Angelo

I think the big deal here is communication. If you let your buyers know that you're out of town, the dog died, you had to do some community service for that DUI, whatever, and that it will be a couple of days before you hit the post office, OK in my book. (thumbs u

If there is absolutely no communication (which is the norm on feebay), well then you can expect people to get pissed. I try to ship within 24 hours of receiving payment; however that's not always possible so a quickie email can solve alot of problems before they happen.

btw, you can list in your ebay auction estimated shipping time, not that anyone probably reads it... :makepoint:

tim

Timmay,

My auctions usually have this shipping times in the auction; just somehow missed it...I plan on correcting it.

I communicate on payment, on shipment, and also tracking info...which is usually 3 times as much communication as I usually get as a buyer.

As I indicated, I didn't think a communication on the shipping time frames was required for 3-4 days, but it appears at least someone else did.

In any event, I have this covered for the future, just wanted to hear what an average eBay buyer's expectations might be.

Timmay,

My auctions usually have this shipping times in the auction; just somehow missed it...I plan on correcting it.

I communicate on payment, on shipment, and also tracking info...which is usually 3 times as much communication as I usually get as a buyer.

As I indicated, I didn't think a communication on the shipping time frames was required for 3-4 days, but it appears at least someone else did.

In any event, I have this covered for the future, just wanted to hear what an average eBay buyer's expectations might be.

I find your shipping terms and turnaround to be perfectly reasonable, sterling..... it never ceases to amaze me the expectations some buyers have vis-a-vis turnaround time. It doubly upsets me that Paypal is ok to hold funds in your account when some insufficiently_thoughtful_person complains his books haven't arrived after 6 days. :mad:

Timmay,

If everyone shipped within 3-4 days I'd be happy. (thumbs u

I think the difference here is between what is expected and what is acceptable. If you're emailing the buyers (as it sounds) then it's more info than I get or would expect from a typical seller on ebay; kudos to you!!

Personally I expect shipment within a day or two but up to a week is "acceptable".

3 - 4 days sounds fair.

Normaly I leave a Monday or Tuesday after my Sunday auctions open for shipping to get the fast payer's items out.

Those that pay in 24 hours normally expect fast shipping.

Those that take all week to pay shouldn't complain if it takes a few more days to ship.

Understood. I'm usually packing/shipping the same day or next after payment...especially if someone is zippy quick on payment. When I started doing eBay again I was at home all the time so I could do a 24 hour turnaround...It was just the combination of my travel and the auctions ending the night before I left. I took a chance that most would wait 2-3 days to pay (and some did)...but in this case he paid next day and basically took me to Friday for shipping. Next time I plan on ending auctions on Wednesday so I can pack end of week/weekend as well.

1-2 days. strive to be the best... if you want my repeat business. too much competition to settle for second best. all the sellers i use meet these high standards. oh, i forgot to mention that this applies to quick paying buyers, not the turtles.

1-2 days. strive to be the best... if you want my repeat business. too much competition to settle for second best. all the sellers i use meet these high standards. oh, i forgot to mention that this applies to quick paying buyers, not the turtles.
absolutely true...but remember...when dealing with eBay...you're usually dealing with a lot of people on the "short bus" ...but work hard to strive for the best customer satisfaction you can...

I don't sell all that much on eBay, but when I do, I usually throw up 10 or 20 auctions at a time. If they all end on, let's say, Saturday evening I will do my best to ship on Monday. But what about the winners that wait a few days to pay? Am I supposed to return to the post office 3 more times that week? No way. So, depending on how quickly these 10 or 12 unrelated bidders all decide to pay, I might save all the packages for 1 trip to the P.O. on Wed/Thurs. Works for me, still 100% feedback.

In every auction, I promise to ship within 72 hrs of cleared pymt. I also send quick eBay messages to everyone on the day that I shipped, so that everyone's happy.

I don't sell all that much on eBay, but when I do, I usually throw up 10 or 20 auctions at a time. If they all end on, let's say, Saturday evening I will do my best to ship on Monday. But what about the winners that wait a few days to pay? Am I supposed to return to the post office 3 more times that week? No way. So, depending on how quickly these 10 or 12 unrelated bidders all decide to pay, I might save all the packages for 1 trip to the P.O. on Wed/Thurs. Works for me, still 100% feedback.

In every auction, I promise to ship within 72 hrs of cleared pymt. I also send quick eBay messages to everyone on the day that I shipped, so that everyone's happy.

good example... I personally give them each updates and tracking ...along with explanation depending on their pace to pay.

your avitar is freaking me out..... :sick: